Forums > Critique > Critique

Photographer

kkniskern1

Moore, Oklahoma, US

I have a rather eclectic unassigned port.  Would appreciate some other photographer's perspectives on shot selection, lighting, composition, and my retouching.

Sep 01 23 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I would like to see some skin texture.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/230901/13/64f24d5408bef_m.jpg

Sep 03 23 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

It's basically a collection of portraits. The main thing is, you are trying to make interesting photos with ordinary people, who have no skills, as photographic subjects. The two men's portraits are entirely too dark and moody.  The women's photos have posing flaws, and some of the photos of women, are not of suitable physical attributes, for models.

Making the transition from being a portraitist, to a model photographer, takes time. It also takes more skilled models, to do effectively.

I started in a similar way, a long time ago. I took the PPA fashion class (yes they actually had that), and that changed my path. I still have some of the slides that I took in that class. I also took the commercial product class, at the same time, which focused on table top photography, that any good photographer could learn to do.

However, when you enter the commercial arena, getting the work, requires that you have very good skills, very creative ideas, and that you work with art directors from ad agencies and manufacturers. So, the more training you can get, the better, if that's what you want to do. I can tell you, that is harder in today's world, of digital, because tech has made it much easier for non-technical people to enter the field. Some small companies even attempt to photograph their products themselves, with cell phones.

You might start by putting an ad in the college paper in Norman, for proper physical attribute models, to do some fashion looks. usually those ads are inexpensive, and students need some side gigs to help pay for college. Stick with street fashion until you learn how to pose, how to light various kinds of fabrics, properly, and so on. Go for looks that inspire fun and challenge the models. Remember, that fashion requires models be a minimum of 5' 7"- to a maximum of 6'. You might get away with up to 6' 2" (without heels), these days, but it is better to stay in the mid range. You need a well balanced slender figure, excellent face, and good hair. I can get more detailed, but you can get too detailed with amateurs, and scare them off.

Be sure to clear with management, any shooting you want to do around office buildings, and the like. Let them know you are shooting as a learning exercise, and not for commercial use. Otherwise, they will try to charge you an arm and a leg for permission.

Hope that helps you some. Used to go by Moore frequently, traveling from Dallas to OKC. I am very familiar with your area. Hope you have gotten through this season, without a tornado.

Rick

Sep 07 23 07:22 am Link