Forums > Critique > Feel free to stop by and let me know your thoughts

Photographer

Redman22

Dallas, Texas, US

Got back on the site a few days ago after being gone a few years. Stop by and let me know what you think of my work. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Jun 10 23 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

My free, no charge opinion of your portfolio is that it shows a diverse style of lighting, composition and energetic and emotive poses. The variety is refreshing and I would think it would suggest to a model a level of professionalism and creativity which would enrich a model's experience and portfolio.  There you have it! Worth what you paid for it. smile

Jun 12 23 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Redman22

Dallas, Texas, US

I must thank you for the kind words. It really warmed my heart reading what you said. Way more than you can imagine.

Jun 14 23 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

My favorite:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/230606/18/647fd90d9c04a_m.jpg

Jun 21 23 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Aloha from the Big Island Jason! Looks like you took some wahine friends over there with you. Good move!

Overall, I'd say keep on shooting - a lot!. More experience and more projects will help you develop your skills. It's hard to know sometimes whether people are choosing to process their images a certain way for artistic purposes, or if they have merely not learned how to control various factors, so don't let me talk you out of your vision if any of my comments are not helpful.

When I see your outdoor shots, often the lighting is behind the model, and there appears to be a lot of lens-flare where the light behind is detracting from the lighting of the face or body, and spilling into the lens directly, rendering all of colors in a washed-out fashion, with dark shadows and high contrast often obscuring the model's features.

Try controlling your lighting more, either by shooting in the shade, or on cloudy days, or simply with the light coming from a more frontal position. If the light is really strong, besides these measures, or controlling the tones with via exposure adjustments and post-processing, if you have an assistant or a stand that can hold it, try using a light-modifying flag/scrim (say some thin white fabric stretched on some kind of large frame so that the direct light on your model is diffused by the fabric. Alternately, or in addition to those things, you can also use a reflector-card (white or foil) from the front/side to balance out the light that way.

Learning to control or to watch out for your lighting takes awhile to learn/sense, but you should start noticing some nice softening of the lighting and more evenness overall, if that fits your vision.

You can also learn to do a lot more with photo-editing techniques. That doesn't mean you need to learn Photoshop though, and you can choose Lightroom or even simpler/cheap/free programs that will allow you to learn individual processes that can make a huge difference in your final product. Avoid all of the simplistic photo-filtering, and learn how to control the actual tools to create your own vision. Don't be afraid to experiment wildly. You never know what you'll come up with.

I really like the overall design, mystery, and graphic quality in this image: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47959401

To my eye, I would say that it would benefit by your adding at least a subtle hint of the overall colors to the gray/monochrome area in the background. I would also tone down the brightness on the left end and on the model's hand a little, while adding just a bit of exposure in the shadow areas (only) of the face. The right half of the frame is pretty faint, and could use more contrast and/or color depth. The image has "good bones" though, and is well worth your taking it up a notch. Try it out and see what you come up with.

Study lighting, perspective, 2-D composition, and the work of the best photographers you can find in order to start considering those things in the framing/designing/cropping of your images, both as you shoot, and in post-production. Experiment –a lot!– and see where your eyes and creativity can take you. Keep on shooting and having fun and the rest will follow.

Jun 22 23 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

Nice port with some inspired originality!

The previous poster commented on your lighting issues and you can still do natural backlight but I'd add a reflector on your subject to reduce/eliminate the shadows.

Jun 23 23 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Number 27 is your best image. The things I would improve on, is not allowing the model to dig her feet into the sand............make her lift her legs when moving them, and you could have used some kind of prop in the left hand, to create a better look in the hand. Maybe a small bottle of sunblock.

You had quite a bit of flare in some outdoor images, which means you are not using an adequate sunshade on your lens.

The long nosed mask is not something you should use. The other mask was fine.

The good stuff comes from the details............when the details are right. You had some under and overexposure issues, as well, which I assume came from film use, where you could not preview your exposure. There is still no substitute for a really top notch, hand held, light meter, properly used.

Rick

Sep 07 23 08:33 am Link