Forums > Critique > Please Critique. Back after 10 year break

Photographer

JOSEPH ROLF

North Miami, Florida, US

I took 10 years off from photography to pursue other hobbies. I am just getting started again and trying to do my best. Let me know how I can improve. Thank you.  https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47828267

Feb 22 23 09:05 am Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Angle is unusual, but I like it. Cropped hand might be considered a negative, but I don’t worry about stuff like that as much as I used to. Maybe the stiff arm is not ideal. Some people advise shooting hands edge on, showing neither the full palm nor (especially) the full back if the hand. Lists of picky guidelines/rules. I guess if you internalize them you stop thinking about them and you just incorporate them. Or not. As you like. And it feels like instinct.

I think you’re doing well.

Feb 22 23 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

I would have shot from the opposite angle rather than from top–>down, go somewhere from middle/bottom–>top. It will be more complementary to the model. Also the flat and cropped hand is something to avoid, and the fully extended arm might be better with at least a little bend at the elbow. Otherwise, it shows a nice color-range, model, and look.

Feb 22 23 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

JOSEPH ROLF

North Miami, Florida, US

j_francis_imagery wrote:
Angle is unusual, but I like it. Cropped hand might be considered a negative, but I don’t worry about stuff like that as much as I used to. Maybe the stiff arm is not ideal. Some people advise shooting hands edge on, showing neither the full palm nor (especially) the full back if the hand. Lists of picky guidelines/rules. I guess if you internalize them you stop thinking about them and you just incorporate them. Or not. As you like. And it feels like instinct.

I think you’re doing well.

Thank you for taking the time ! Always so much to consider when shooting, decisions and want to get to place where I'm less conscious and more intuitive ! Well put ! Thank you !

Feb 23 23 08:45 am Link

Photographer

JOSEPH ROLF

North Miami, Florida, US

Modelphilia wrote:
I would have shot from the opposite angle rather than from top–>down, go somewhere from middle/bottom–>top. It will be more complementary to the model. Also the flat and cropped hand is something to avoid, and the fully extended arm might be better with at least a little bend at the elbow. Otherwise, it shows a nice color-range, model, and look.

Thanks, yeah, I agree, was a bit of a 'funky' angle, something I don't usually do, but her body was so nice in person, I was just trying my best to capture that, and failing. LOL. Thank you so much !

Feb 23 23 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

JOSEPH ROLF wrote:
Thanks, yeah, I agree, was a bit of a 'funky' angle, something I don't usually do, but her body was so nice in person, I was just trying my best to capture that, and failing. LOL. Thank you so much !

The trick is to keep your compositional focus when your eyes are being overcome by your libido. With success at that, you can always drool over the results later. Meanwhile, enjoy your opportunities to shoot!

Feb 23 23 10:34 am Link