Forums > Critique > I need some critique of my photos.

Photographer

ArntM

Koppang, Hedmark, Norway

I have posted 8 photos here so far, and want constructive critique of them - what is good, what could have been done otherwise to get a better picture etc. I'm looking forward to answers at this post, so I can get better at portrait photography.

Regards,
ArntM.

Feb 11 23 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

The best critique is to continue  shooting.  Think about what might make a better image.  Look at other photographers work.
One of my favorite shooters is the late Arnold Newman.  Walk around where you live and look for unique or interesting places.  Study lighting.  https://www.digitalphotomentor.com/famo … s-history/

Feb 12 23 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Deviant Divas Design

Callaway, Florida, US

all your pics are centered.....try different angles , things should be off center at times , same thing with lighting ,try some diffrent things from the side from behind etc. All your doing right now is documenting in your photos!

Feb 12 23 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Your backgrounds are cluttered, a good portrait should focus on the subject with fewer distractions.

Your sense of lighting is still "snapshot" level, spend time learning where and when the light is good and how to position your models in that light for best results.

Your avatar is shot too close with a wide angle lens, not complimentary to faces. Use a medium telephoto (or longer) when shooting headshots.

If there is a college bookstore nearby, check inventory regularly for books on Art History. Learn from how the masters drew and painted.

Background and lighting are essential for good results.

Feb 12 23 08:45 am Link

Photographer

ArntM

Koppang, Hedmark, Norway

Tony Lawrence wrote:
The best critique is to continue  shooting.  Think about what might make a better image.  Look at other photographers work.
One of my favorite shooters is the late Arnold Newman.  Walk around where you live and look for unique or interesting places.  Study lighting.  https://www.digitalphotomentor.com/famo … s-history/

Thank you very much for your answer. I will continue doing that, and also go to look at places where there is easier to get in touch with models.

Feb 17 23 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

ArntM

Koppang, Hedmark, Norway

Deviant Divas Design wrote:
all your pics are centered.....try different angles , things should be off center at times , same thing with lighting ,try some diffrent things from the side from behind etc. All you're doing right now is documenting in your photos!

Thank you very much for the answer. Yes, I noticed as well. I will keep your answer in mind when doing more photoshoots.

Feb 17 23 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

ArntM

Koppang, Hedmark, Norway

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Your backgrounds are cluttered, a good portrait should focus on the subject with fewer distractions.

Your sense of lighting is still "snapshot" level, spend time learning where and when the light is good and how to position your models in that light for best results.

Your avatar is shot too close with a wide angle lens, not complimentary to faces. Use a medium telephoto (or longer) when shooting headshots.

If there is a college bookstore nearby, check inventory regularly for books on Art History. Learn from how the masters drew and painted.

Background and lighting are essential for good results.

Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, I still have a lot to learn about lighting and communicating with the models to get better photos and avoid "snapshot" levels. And of course to pay more attention to the background.

Feb 17 23 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I like this shot a lot.  https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46622542
And I love this shot.  https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47807690. I would crop this one from the left almost to her feet, bring the bottom up a bit, again almost to her feet. This would place her to the left in the image and make it a bit more dramatic or less like a snapshot. I love the background. A future shot of this would benefit by cropping it like mentioned in camera. When you shoot move around and experiment with your composition. It won't take you long to figure out how to make the images look more professional and dramatic. I think you are on the right path.

And wow am I jealous. I'd love to be able to wake up and shoot in Norway all the time. I probably wouldn't bother with models but just shoot all that beautiful scenic surroundings. Nah, I'd still shoot models too.

Feb 17 23 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough”
— Robert Capa

I suggest more subject, less background. Work on composition. Don’t worry about anything else for a while.

When you’ve done that for some time, I suggest you focus on lighting. There are two aspects to lighting that are good to explore: 1) where to put lights when you control the lights, and 2) where and how to place the subject when you can’t control the lights.

Feb 18 23 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

ArntM

Koppang, Hedmark, Norway

Znude! wrote:
I like this shot a lot.  https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46622542
And I love this shot.  https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47807690. I would crop this one from the left almost to her feet, bring the bottom up a bit, again almost to her feet. This would place her to the left in the image and make it a bit more dramatic or less like a snapshot. I love the background. A future shot of this would benefit by cropping it like mentioned in camera. When you shoot move around and experiment with your composition. It won't take you long to figure out how to make the images look more professional and dramatic. I think you are on the right path.

And wow am I jealous. I'd love to be able to wake up and shoot in Norway all the time. I probably wouldn't bother with models but just shoot all that beautiful scenic surroundings. Nah, I'd still shoot models too.

Thank you very much for your input. Yes, I will work more on the composition and not feeling that I have to "hurry" to get the pictures. It's better to have 20 great photos than 200 photos that are just "okay."

Feb 19 23 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

ArntM

Koppang, Hedmark, Norway

j_francis_imagery wrote:
"If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough”
— Robert Capa

I suggest more subject, less background. Work on composition. Don’t worry about anything else for a while.

When you’ve done that for some time, I suggest you focus on lighting. There are two aspects to lighting that are good to explore: 1) where to put lights when you control the lights, and 2) where and how to place the subject when you can’t control the lights.

Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Feb 19 23 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

G Wilson

Dallas, Texas, US

I'm not usually one to critique anyone, but maybe just try, cropping more tightly. It can change the whole dynamic of the image.

May 07 23 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

My first comment is unless you're a model to take down your picture as your avatar and put up something to represent your work.

I'll also say I'd love to see more band or music pictures! Very interesting!

Jun 23 23 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Yes, take down your scary picture. AND create more images!

Jun 23 23 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Your work lacks inspiration, and it reminds me of typical shots I would find on a camsite. If your aim is to specialize in boudoir photography, you should elevate your game by introducing creativity through concepts, lighting techniques, unique locations, and interesting furniture. The photographs appear dull, and the lighting lacks excitement and depth.

Jun 24 23 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Intimate images require that the viewer feel closer to the model. Yours are basically snapshots from across the room.  If your aim is to show the model, they should usually be 80% of the image, and in yours they are 10%-20%.  Another thing that might help you is to put one of your best images as your avatar. That looks like a headshot of you, and that will not attract models to your port.

Jul 15 23 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I like to see models get credit. Rather than "Bandstand" why don't you mention the name of the band?

You have three beautiful models with no credit. This is a networking site. If I were local to you, I might want to work with those women.

BTW I don't think that your images are really "M". You might ask a moderator:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod

Jul 20 23 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

Based on what I have seen your best image is the female in red on the bed. The pink compliments the tones of the overall image, it's minimalistic with great tones, and it has a personal feel to it. I would focus your style on this type of imagery. The softness and warmth of the image are very appealing. Your editing is wonderful too as it brings out her eyes and even the detail in her nails.

Jul 24 23 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Ok, I do not see portraits. The first 2 images are candids of a band, it appears, and the rest are Glamour (not boudoir). Boudoir is a portrait term, for non-professional subjects, and glamour is the term for creative professional photography, of professional models, that are sensual and sexually stimulating, revealing, or not revealing.

Your models look fine, but your composition is rather lacking, and you have to look at room settings for the entire area encompassed in the image. for instance, you have the model in number 8, seated very close to, horizontal lines in the background, which compete with the model. the model herself, looks fine, but the handling of the background is lacking, and it makes what might have been a good image, a mediocre, image.

Think of it like this..........if I placed the model here, what do I see wrong with the background? You may have to rearrange furniture, you may have to shoot in a different direction, and you have to control all elements of the scene. On top of that, you have to pose your models well, and watch for any little things that need to be adjusted with their pose, such as in number 4, the top leg should have extended a little more, to lengthen the leg line.

Lighting is also a significant factor, in room settings. you must light the room independently of, the model. Lamps should look lit, and there should be no areas too dark for detail, nor too light for detail. You need sufficient space, to add backlight and side light to the model, to make her as 3 dimensional as possible. All this is time consuming, and you need to learn how to do that, before your model even arrives on the scene. If you have professional hair and make up involved, you can tweak everything in the scene and lighting placement, while hair and make up is done. (Hair and make up is usually only available in cities with a large commercial photography community to support those people.)

Hope those comments are helpful.

Rick

Sep 07 23 08:09 am Link

Model

Casiohoe

Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Lovely , would love some critic on my work too

Sep 22 23 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Casiohoe wrote:
Lovely , would love some critic on my work too

Casiohoe,
Start your own thread. I'm not going to critique your work in ArntM's thread.

Sep 22 23 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Pick your background first and declutter it.
In the mirror shot the items o top of the furniture is distracting and unnecessary
In the photo of VeruVese Tethered in front of the fireplace the edge of a table at the end of the wall could be moved a small amount and be an improvement. Same for the glass table behind her. Moving it or shooting from a lower angle or moving the chair to the other side of the fireplace may have given a cleaner BG

Sep 22 23 08:25 am Link