Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Getting your hair cut

Photographer

KMFoto

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Curious as to the feelings models have about cutting their hair. I've done any number of shoots and had models that don't mind what you do and some that think that cutting their hair is next to an amputation. I'm always slightly amused at models with tattoos that will NOT get a short haircut. (One is permanent, the other grows back)

Curious as to the way some models feel about getting their hair cut and how much money they expect for it.

Sep 07 22 11:23 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

My hair makes me money. I've been hired numerous times for it. But also, I have just had long hair my entire life and I am used to it. I find that photographers find it refreshing to have options with hair. Up or down?

I once had a photographer offer me 2k to shave my head and I laughed at him.

Sep 19 22 03:31 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

KMFoto wrote:
Curious as to the feelings models have about cutting their hair. I've done any number of shoots and had models that don't mind what you do and some that think that cutting their hair is next to an amputation. I'm always slightly amused at models with tattoos that will NOT get a short haircut. (One is permanent, the other grows back)

Curious as to the way some models feel about getting their hair cut and how much money they expect for it.

Yea, you're talking about the European market (Grüss Gott, bin eine Wienerin), so you're all used to chicks with short hair,  both, on their heads and under their pits.
That does not fly the world over.

Hair does make money.
A hair show alone can earn a model hundreds for a few hours..
I've had short hair most of my life, for practicality reasons. I've been turned down many times when folks found that most of my "long hair" work was shot with wigs and hair pieces.

Plus, to grow out nice hair costs a lot of money and even more time:
Think of your favorite sweater,  it has been through the wash 1097 times, and that's what it looks like. Apply that to hair, washing, styling, product in, product out... it all takes a toll ...

A luscious mane doesn't just happen on someone's head..

Sep 21 22 03:02 pm Link

Model

Nat the droid

Sacramento, California, US

My grandpa's dying wish was that I wouldn't cut my hair 🐈

Models are allowed to have boundaries and limitations.

I was bald for nearly 5 years, and if you wanted to shoot me bald, you would have.

Hair can be cultural and for me it's spiritual protection. Very few people are allowed to touch my hair. I know that loses me some work but so would cutting it when I'm booked for specifically the look I have now 🤔

Jan 26 23 02:27 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'm not totally ruling it out, but would need to discuss specifics, and the compensation would need to be enough to make it worth doing.  All of us feel that we get approached to model based upon our appearance and making a significant change in that appearance could affect future assignments.  Since it takes months to grow out if cut really short, that has to be taken into consideration.

Regarding a different sort of hair, I did agree to shave my pubic hair for about a year, in order to work with a local group of artists who required their models to be hair free, when I was in my 50's. It was a very good networking experience from which I was able to get many additional assignments and some of the work done in the group sessions ended up in gallery displays, so all was good.  I also had another paid assignment a couple of years after that where I was offered extra pay to shave and then remain shaved for two full day private posing sessions a month apart during which a lot of work was accomplished.  I have since stated in my profile that I am choosing to remain natural, so trimming or shaving there isn't happening again and is pretty much not negotiable unless they are willing to offer crazy money for being shaved.

Feb 02 23 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

KMFoto wrote:

Some people identify with hair. If someone I knew well suddenly showed up bald, I'd probably not recognize them immediately. Yet that same person facing away from me with gorgeous long hair, "Hey, Greta! how ya doing?" Instant recognition.

What you refer to as growing back may take months or years, depending on the length. Models get book for their looks. A radical change to that look can cost them a lot of repeat business. They will have to work to find the photographers who want the close cut hair look, and then as they grow it back, find photographers who want a little, not a lot - the Goldilocks of the photography world. Who will be their repeat gigs? They will also have to maintain an up-to-date portfolio as their hair length changes. They will likely book sessions to show their wigs so they can retain the longer hair requests. Good wigs are expensive. Cheap ones seldom photograph well.

I'd be extremely pissed if I booked a model with long hair, yet you convinced her to shave it off for your shoot just prior to my shoot.  Would I be justified in canceling the shoot? That would be taken poorly by some models.

KMFoto wrote:

If i've worked with any model thinking of grabbing a quick buck for cutting off their hair, please, oh please, contact me. We can discuss how much money you want to NOT cut off your hair.

Cowsills wrote:
Gimme a head with hair
Long, beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming
Streaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there (hair)
Shoulder length or longer (hair)
Here, baby, there, mama
Everywhere, daddy, daddy
Hair (hair, hair, hair, hair, hair)
Grow it, show it
Long as I can grow it
My hair

Feb 10 23 07:19 am Link

Model

Simon Rob

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Surely anyone with an agency would not have the option because they would be pissed if you showed up with a different length hair. I heard of an agency: probably fake: that wanted regular selfies every 4 months and if the look or weight wasn't the same the model needed more pictures.

Apr 19 23 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I used to shoot for a hair products company that set up seminars for the California Cosmetology Association convention.  Models with long hair would get paid to have their hair cut.  What would be a bummer would be that after the hair show, they would need time to grow their hair back before the next show  .. hopefully.  Reminds me that it's time for me to get a haircut!  lol

Jun 05 23 12:53 pm Link