Forums > Critique > color does matter

Retoucher

Retoucher Daniel

Miami Beach, Florida, US

The color does matter in photography, that’s why I pay great attention on it while correction. How do you like the new color combination?
https://cdn.myportfolio.com/d565e2d0de9 … abff083e1d

Apr 25 22 02:29 am Link

Photographer

skyart

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think the blue is too strong and is competing for dominance over the orange

Apr 25 22 05:49 am Link

Photographer

David A Reichel

San Diego, California, US

I think the blue & orange combination detract from model -- I see colors, not her.

Apr 25 22 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Great legs, anyhow!
Who is the model?

Apr 25 22 10:35 am Link

Photographer

BRIAN D WILLIAMS

Los Angeles, California, US

Color can be very subjective, some will like it some wont.

Apr 25 22 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

The overall blue tint of the image especially over the artwork in the background and the plant in the same plane as the model without any sort of bleed over on to the model strikes me as an image where the the lighting manipulation is off. However if that's the look you wanted and you like it, then that's good enough!

Apr 25 22 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

HiResPhotographs

Corona, California, US

I like it.  Model stands out more.

Apr 26 22 04:38 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

The image on the right looks more natural and it would be my choice. But as we all know art is in the eye of the beer holder.

You may want to add the 18+ warning to your link. MM's new rules would dictate that image as mature. Certainly doesn't bother me.

Apr 26 22 09:04 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Retoucher Daniil wrote:
The color does matter in photography, that’s why I pay great attention on it while correction. How do you like the new color combination?
https://cdn.myportfolio.com/d565e2d0de9 … abff083e1d

My parents raised me not to see color.

Apr 26 22 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

IMO, I think the color should take second actually third stage as it would seem 1st.the model should be the star of the photo 2nd. the lighting ( dodging and burning, shadows ,highlights etc.) and 3rd the coloring the lighting should be focused to bring the model out more the chair has more pop than the model  I know that you did bring the lighting (some) up on the model but if you look at how much detail just in the definition of her legs is lost which may be because of the color you have added not sure if I am hitting the nail on the head but that's just my thoughts I also may have cropped in a little tighter as the crappy floor and plant aren't bringing a lot extra to the photo. But I do agree it all a personal choice. Thanks putting it up for critique.

Apr 28 22 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

The color does not matter if the lighting is off.

Apr 28 22 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

PhotosbyChuck

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

I think you chose a great color for the image, but the issue is that the model wasn't well lit in the original.  It worked because the model created contrast against such a white background.  But, recoloring the background took away that contrast, leaving no real point of interest in the frame except the orange chair.

I think if you give the model more pop, you'll have a nice edit.

Apr 28 22 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

You do not seem to have changed the exposure of the model or the chair, but adding the blue background makes the photo look darker and less attractive. 

As things stand, I would prefer the original pale background, but the blue could also work if you lightened it a bit and reduced the shadows on the model and chair.

May 22 22 05:16 pm Link

Model

Papro

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

color is consistent with differences in race and culture

Jul 20 22 06:11 am Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Papro wrote:

What do you mean?

Jul 22 22 12:11 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Papro wrote:

roger alan wrote:
What do you mean?

I'm pretty sure he means that the same color can either be appreciated or disdained by people due to their differences in race and culture (and political beliefs and superstitions too, which can probably be categorized in race and culture).

The wedding dress industry alone gives a wide range of examples of Papro's statement.  In the USA white is the color of choice, but in Spain black is the tradition.  (Similarly it's not proper to wear white at a funeral in the USA, but in other countries like China, as well as Sikh, and Buddhist funerals white is what you're supposed to wear). https://www.tkbridalatlanta.com/blog/7- … -the-world

In societies that were once oppressed, the colors of the regime that was overthrown would be inappropriate (sometimes illegal) to wear.

Hell, even in the USA the use of color can hold a huge influence on a street by street basis, and people are KILLED for wearing the wrong color.  To test the theory just wear red in a Crips neighborhood in Compton.

Jul 22 22 09:36 am Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

@SayCheeZ! Thank you for an intelligent and thoughtful response. I could also answer my own question as to how the comment I quoted might be possibly  interpreted.

But Papro is a whole different person. I quoted him  directly because I would like to read HIS response.

Jul 22 22 04:05 pm Link

Model

Papro

the strong neon type of blue that is should be from a blue light, my opinion is gradient fade some blue out from the left wall, so the colors come back, move light to shadow on the plant, the orange is a world better in the blue, model's pose is a little sturdy or not fully expressing what the imagery represents, we either need that or to see more detail or something else as to what she's representing

Jul 26 22 01:00 am Link

Model

Papro

roger alan wrote:
@SayCheeZ! Thank you for an intelligent and thoughtful response. I could also answer my own question as to how the comment I quoted might be possibly  interpreted.

But Papro is a whole different person. I quoted him  directly because I would like to read HIS response.

I meant everything @saycheeze said but I'd include that the consistent idea of w white wedding dress and "religion" being "whiteness" is different from Africa or Egypt being "blackness" is not what I'm referring to although there's explanation for that.

I read the subject line, i hadn't looked at the photo comparison which i just replied about.
What I got at is the modern everything is politics liberal mentality.
I mean skin color is consistent with who we are and that means something much more fundamentally than the color of clothing although use of colors in clothing is of course rather fundamental, we can explore that all day as we do,
I'm saying the world and the humans in it are more interesting and natural, true, in differences between us without clothing, that culture arises from that fundamental born with truth and the most basic cultural differences which we can explore the basis for all day, the obama zombie will find this too sensitive to have a conversation about or grasp it, or they just never had read anything like this yet.
If we look from a whole different person perspective, which we as individuals are, that we have similarities rather than difference within our own lets say country or something like race or culture, then more specifically as full picture is the idea that who we are on the outside is consistent with who we are inside-as an individual, and that those consistencies may be in common with others. But clothing colors are more of an expression rather than an inherent difference.

Jul 26 22 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Photo Lolz

New York, New York, US

Generally, when the entire environment has a blue cast, the subject matter between the light and wall should also have a blue cast.  If you wanted her to stand out anyway, then you might consider having some of that blue bounce back onto the model from behind.  The reflections, for example, on her skin, are from a white light reflection, not blue.  Instead of it looking like you modified the BG, it actually, instead, looks like you just cut her our of one photo and dropped her in another.

Dec 23 22 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I don’t mind it it ( but it needs to be lit better )

It really emphasizes the chair and de emphasizes the Model - but maybe that was your intention

If You had something in a similar shade of orange on the wall above the Models right shoulder - I think the viewers eye might be drawn back and forth between the 2 orange areas and in the process the Model would be more visible

Dec 24 22 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Perfect Exposure

New York, New York, US

David A Reichel wrote:
I think the blue & orange combination detract from model -- I see colors, not her.

Well said.

Dec 26 22 10:45 pm Link

Retoucher

utsav1232002

Calcutta, Bangla, India

absolutely color do matter. but i believe a balance must be there. I am an aspiring colorist. and if you see my instagram; u will notice a wide range of color;not only teal n orange; but others too. i try to strike a balance with my colors.
would love ur feedbacks on them.
www.instagram.com/rick.chakraborty24

Dec 28 22 08:51 am Link