Forums > Critique > Guess my rate!

Model

Sylas Siren

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What rate do you think I'm worth? And why?

(putting aside how much you would regularly pay for a model)

Apr 05 22 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Half of what I'll charge you . . .

Why? . . . because you don't do nudes, and I would have no use for the photos otherwise

Apr 05 22 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Shouldn't this be in 'Fun and Games'? If not...

The average salary for all models is $37.68 per hour in Toronto, ON. As of Nov 30, 2021. (Dec 2021, ca.indeed.com). That is per hour actual work, it includes Fashion, Art Classes, Nudes, Lifestyle and Agency.

Unless you shoot genres that a client needs, or are aiming for the inexperienced/uninformed photographers market (admittedly large in Toronto), you are unlikely to exceed that average.

Apr 06 22 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I would like to see you flesh out your portfolio.
But since you have "pointed toes," $40??

Apr 06 22 11:16 am Link

Model

Sylas Siren

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

Why? . . . because you don't do nudes, and I would have no use for the photos otherwise

Appreciate all the responses so far.
Minus this one pretentious photographer. Thanks, but no thanks.

Apr 13 22 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Rinker StC

Saint Charles, Illinois, US

Sylas Siren wrote:

In defense of Mr Marcus, he does have a proven and vast body of work that I would assume any (nude) model would love to be a part of and photographers envy. I'm most certain that he has a bustling glamour and boudoir business with clients willing to pay his rate for his work.

Not addressing you personally, but asking MM models in general:
How much have you paid a photographer for a portfolio shoot? Keep in mind at a minimum, hair and makeup (recommended), 6-8 hours on set, file processing, retouching... studio staff...

In my market, agency rates are roughly $200/hr with possible residuals or special rates for nudity. Pretty sure they take a cut from you and add a fee to me. Mind you, a client is essentially paying you to be the visual to market their product or service. If I were looking for a fit/experienced non-risque dancer for personal portfolio work I'd have to be frugal. $100-200 for project? Reimbursement for wardrobe & gas? Paid models have limited use of photographer's choice finals.

Apr 13 22 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Sylas Siren wrote:

WOW!

Apr 14 22 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Logic

Lewisville, Texas, US

Sylas Siren wrote:

I don't think the OP is familiar with Mr. Marcus's body of work...she should jump at an opportunity to work with him, and pay him for it.

Apr 14 22 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Sylas Siren wrote:

I think Mr Marcus actually might actually get published by a major magazine at some point in his future…he has really progressed a lot as such a gifted amateur…

(L O L)

Kidding aside, he actually gave you direct and pointed feedback at what it takes to work at that level.   It’s up to you to decide what to do with that.

Apr 15 22 09:00 am Link

Photographer

skyart

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Frozen Logic wrote:

I don't think the OP is familiar with Mr. Marcus's body of work...she should jump at an opportunity to work with him, and pay him for it.

His body of work doesn't change the fact that it was a rude way to answer, or I guess not answer, the question posted by OP.

Apr 15 22 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Logic

Lewisville, Texas, US

skyart wrote:

His body of work doesn't change the fact that it was a rude way to answer, or I guess not answer, the question posted by OP.

The OP asked for the critique and a very experienced well respected member of this site gave a blunt and realistic answer based on his extensive experience.  Should people sugar coat their answers when a critique is requested?

Apr 15 22 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

skyart

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Frozen Logic wrote:

The OP asked for the critique and a very experienced well respected member of this site gave a blunt and realistic answer based on his extensive experience.  Should people sugar coat their answers when a critique is requested?

Sugar coating or being blunt doesn't matter, it's about not actually answering the question in any manor useful to the OP.

Apr 15 22 04:16 pm Link

Model

Sylas Siren

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Everyone is encouraged to share their opinion. I respect everyone's opinion.

But I'll be straight, he lost all his credibility by how he responded. If anyone has confidence in their work, they can give a direct answer without gassing themselves up.

Apr 16 22 06:48 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

For nude around $100 per hour--your hair is unique and you could maybe get work in beauty where there is focus in the products on hair. As a dancer you have a foundation for posing and should exploit that more.

Apr 16 22 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Sylas Siren wrote:
Everyone is encouraged to share their opinion. I respect everyone's opinion.

But I'll be straight, he lost all his credibility by how he responded. If anyone has confidence in their work, they can give a direct answer without gassing themselves up.

I share and support your opinion. On this occasion, Ken Marcus Studios opinion was not constructive. That said, the wording of your post could easily be misconstrued as being written by someone who is seeminly over confident.

IMO rates are subjective and are usually influenced by many factors. For example, nudity versus non-nudity. Even the number of instagram followers that a model (or photographer) may have can influence the rate that they can attract.

Apr 17 22 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I'd pay at most $60-75 for a session with you.  There are a few reasons for this.  Normally, one posts the best pictures you have in your portfolio, and I see only 10 pictures there, which indicates that you didn't have many to choose from, and may have very limited experience.  Of those 10, only a few got many views, which suggests that the other images are not that interesting.  As well, your avatar picture is not the most flattering one you have.  Why not crop the picture with over 2,000 views and post it as your avatar instead?

Normally, I pay $200-250 for a 3-hour session.  This is with professional models, whose primary job is modelling, including some travelling models.  While you might become a professional model after gaining quite a bit more experience, you're not there yet.  Also, not doing nudes is a limiting factor.  It's not that nude art models can charge more than models who are always dressed, it's that non-nude models don't get as many calls, unless they look amazing and have lots of experience.

Having dance training and experience can be helpful, especially in regards to flexibility, but dance is about motion and that rarely applies here.  Having a foundation of dance experience is only useful if you can then build on that foundation and build up a repertoire of attractive or interesting poses.  With some of the models I've worked with, like Dane Halo (MM# 1393247), for example, I could just say "Model!", and she'd give me uncountable poses and variations on poses, all worth printing and posting.  Of course, I usually have certain concepts in mind for a session, and she can bring those ideas to life, and look great doing it. This is just as important.  Taking direction well is only half of it.  The model also needs a sense of gracefulness, and that doesn't came from just being pretty.

Check out the number of views that Dane's pictures get, which indicates the level of interest that her modelling gets, and suggests how often she gets called for shoots.  When your modelling expertise reaches that level, then you could command the rates a really good model gets.

I hope this is helpful.

In case you're wondering why I don't have any pix of Dane in my portfolio, it's because I'm way behind in my editing.  I'll post some eventually.

Apr 19 22 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I guess I wasn't clear enough with my answer . . . if you had taken the time to look at the first part of my profile page, I state clearly my bottom rate is $3,500.oo for a session.

Therefore, half of my rate would be $1,750,oo.

I should think that rate for a single day of modeling should be sufficient, and nothing to complain about.

KM

Apr 24 22 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

I guess I wasn't clear enough with my answer . . . if you had taken the time to look at the first part of my profile page, I state clearly my bottom rate is $3,500.oo for a session.

I should think that rate for a single day of modeling should be sufficient, and nothing to complain about.

KM

doubling down on pretentious doesn't make you less pretentious. why did you even bother to respond in the first place if you weren't going to answer the question.

Jun 28 22 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Darren Sermon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

In my experience rates vary and depend on the specifics of the project.  Typically work within an $80-$200/hr range depending on the above, a range I can see proposing to work with you.  Would suggest building your portfolio in the direction of the work you seek, as it seems thin at the moment, good luck

Nov 24 22 06:31 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

KM

While I understand Ken in particular quoting rates to someone like the OP, models on this site are not paying anyone, especially that rate. Technically, the arrogant answer Ken gave WAS an answer to a model with a portfolio like the Op's - which I am guessing at the time she had no nudes up? HOWEVER, that isn't exactly a way to drum up business in this thread on his part.

Nov 27 22 07:46 am Link