Forums > Contests > Is POTD18+ Being Censored?

Photographer

Aberotica

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom

I have a feeling that POTD18+ is being censored before we ever see the entries. I'll just leave that out there for your opinions.

Apr 04 22 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

It always has been. MM throws out any submissions which do not comply with the rules. And they throw out some that do. If they censor your image they will send you a very rude and nasty notice telling you they did and they will punish you in various ways.

Apr 04 22 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Aberotica

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom

I don't currently enter POTD18+. I was commenting as someone who votes occasionally, and it seems to me that it is being censored more rigidly than it used to be, especially in the last month or so. Just my suspicion.

Apr 04 22 07:31 am Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Aberotica, what do you mean by censored? I always submit my photos to the mods beforehand to make sure they're not breaking any of the rules for the contest. I wouldn't call that censoring, and I actually think they've become a little bit more lax in what they allow in the 18+ contest since they became more strict on what's considered mature.

Apr 27 22 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

Aberotica  wrote:
I have a feeling that POTD18+ is being censored before we ever see the entries. I'll just leave that out there for your opinions.

I'm not sure of the 24 hour clock used to change dates, votes. But some days I see maybe 10 pics by mid day to vote on. The next day, near same time, I see results that have 16 contestants, ones never there when I voted.   How early-late can one 'enter' that contest per day to get them lined up for the vote?  I'd hope they have a whole day ahead deadline, to remove if needed, and have ALL included by the next day when we vote, so that 'extra' pics are not suddenly included, that I missed for a vote.  Clueless on the timing.  Not any advantage to be a late entry, as you miss hours of voting gone by, so less chance to win,,so why enter late?

Oct 19 22 10:05 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Aberotica  wrote:
I don't currently enter POTD18+. I was commenting as someone who votes occasionally, and it seems to me that it is being censored more rigidly than it used to be, especially in the last month or so. Just my suspicion.

Hi,
Accordingly everything on this site is AI scanned first, (as the recent information I got regarding my avatar being flagged and locked until I requested a review.) The AI scanner could be the culprit.

Jen

Oct 22 22 03:39 am Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

Jen B wrote:
Hi,
Accordingly everything on this site is AI scanned first, (as the recent information I got regarding my avatar being flagged and locked until I requested a review.) The AI scanner could be the culprit.

Jen

The AI scanner (Google API) just determines if a photo should be marked as "Mature" or not. If you're entering a photo in the 18+ contest, it would have to be mature to begin with, so the AI wouldn't be removing any of them. The images that people submit to the 18+ contest are completely up to the mod team to vote on if they're allowed or not. That's why I always submit my 18+ shots to the mods beforehand to get approved. If you do that and they say it's over the line, you don't get any points against you. You can use the "Contact A Mod" form to submit them on the ModelMayhem site or just email them to [email protected]

Nov 01 22 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

KRJohnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have an opinion that some Moderator's have a bias against certain photographer's.......
Posted an 18+ image bodyscape which did not show models head genitals not visible but It was banned
Can not understand when they allow bread leg images that show everything..... Tried asking for a review was turned down because I was told it is review by many
I will not be a VIP after my term expires

Dec 14 22 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

KRJohnson wrote:
bread leg images

I had to think about that! LOL

Dec 15 22 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

KRJohnson wrote:
I have an opinion that some Moderator's have a bias against certain photographer's.......
Posted an 18+ image bodyscape which did not show models head genitals not visible but It was banned
Can not understand when they allow bread leg images that show everything..... Tried asking for a review was turned down because I was told it is review by many

When I posted this picture, it was marked mature by the bots, I appealed, and it was later marked not mature. That being the case I I submitted to the photo of the day contest. It was flagged as inappropriate for the contest and should be in the 18+ contest.
Consistency would be nice. I feel like I get dinged for reason I see contests win. I just want consistency, I'm not going to win these things anyway.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47736860

Dec 15 22 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

Posted twice for whatever reason

Dec 15 22 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

DTP - Photography wrote:
When I posted this picture, it was marked mature by the bots, I appealed, and it was later marked not mature. That being the case I I submitted to the photo of the day contest. It was flagged as inappropriate for the contest and should be in the 18+ contest.
Consistency would be nice. I feel like I get dinged for reason I see contests win. I just want consistency, I'm not going to win these things anyway.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47736860

Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that there are a number of mods who run this website and they often disagree on classifying images as mature or not mature, as well as what is allowed in the 18+ contest or not. I'm not sure how many of them there are that decide on the contests, but I do know I've submitted images to them beforehand and if it's a "borderline" image they will have the whole group look at it and vote. I've had times when one of my images passed by one vote, so had it been up to a couple specific mods they wouldn't have allowed my image.

So, just because one mod approves your image to not be mature, doesn't mean another will agree and allow it in the contest. Always good to submit images to the mods to get approved for each contest before submitting them to the actual contest. That way if they say they're not allowed you won't get any points taken away and won't be suspended from the contest for however many days. You can email them to [email protected] and just tell them you'd like to make sure the image is okay for whichever contest you're wanting to enter it in.

It can definitely be frustrating and I've had quite a few times in the past that I did get an image approved for the contest beforehand by a mod, only to have it rejected by the full team of mods when I submitted it to the contest because they didn't agree with the one who approved it. In that case I lose out on having a photo in the contest that day, but I don't get any points against me since I did ask about it before submitting it to the contest.

Dec 18 22 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

Adventure Photos wrote:
I'm not sure of the 24 hour clock used to change dates, votes. But some days I see maybe 10 pics by mid day to vote on. The next day, near same time, I see results that have 16 contestants, ones never there when I voted.   How early-late can one 'enter' that contest per day to get them lined up for the vote?  I'd hope they have a whole day ahead deadline, to remove if needed, and have ALL included by the next day when we vote, so that 'extra' pics are not suddenly included, that I missed for a vote.  Clueless on the timing.  Not any advantage to be a late entry, as you miss hours of voting gone by, so less chance to win,,so why enter late?

I've never noticed that. I'll have to count the number of photos when voting vs the number in the contest after the results have been posted. When you enter an image in the contest it isn't in that next day's contest, it's in the contest two days from the day you enter. This is to give the mods time to review the images and possibly remove some if they violate the rules. So, I'm not sure how you would end up with more images in a contest than however many there were to vote on. I have seen times when they've removed an image even after the voting started because it "slipped through the cracks" and the mods deemed it breaking the rules but didn't noticed it until after the voting started.

KRJohnson wrote:

I suppose there's always a possibility of a mod being biased. There are times I've gotten frustrated with a mod and it kind of felt like we were arguing with one another, but I've never really gotten angry at any of them if I felt they were just trying to do their job and weren't treating me unfairly. I do ask them to explain their reasoning at times and they're usually willing to do so. But for the most part I feel they try and stay professional and don't let past disagreements influence future ones. If I were a complete jerk to them, I can imagine them not willing to give me the benefit of the doubt or listen to what I have to say.

I'd be interested to see the image you're talking about that they banned from the 18+ contest. I feel like I've had so many images rejected from that contest I could tell you if it seems fair or not that they rejected yours.

Jan 30 23 09:07 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

KRJohnson wrote:

The mods here are lazy and act like doing their jobs is a bother. Instead of just removing photos that don't fit their rules (which are applied very inconsistently) they assign you points and do not allow you to submit images to contest. I am currently in a 45 day time out.

This was once a thriving site but it is a shell of its former greatness.

Jan 31 23 06:03 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

KenPhoto wrote:

Adventure Photos wrote:

I've never noticed that. I'll have to count the number of photos when voting vs the number in the contest after the results have been posted. When you enter an image in the contest it isn't in that next day's contest, it's in the contest two days from the day you enter. This is to give the mods time to review the images and possibly remove some if they violate the rules. So, I'm not sure how you would end up with more images in a contest than however many there were to vote on. I have seen times when they've removed an image even after the voting started because it "slipped through the cracks" and the mods deemed it breaking the rules but didn't noticed it until after the voting started.

I suppose there's always a possibility of a mod being biased. There are times I've gotten frustrated with a mod and it kind of felt like we were arguing with one another, but I've never really gotten angry at any of them if I felt they were just trying to do their job and weren't treating me unfairly. I do ask them to explain their reasoning at times and they're usually willing to do so. But for the most part I feel they try and stay professional and don't let past disagreements influence future ones. If I were a complete jerk to them, I can imagine them not willing to give me the benefit of the doubt or listen to what I have to say.

I'd be interested to see the image you're talking about that they banned from the 18+ contest. I feel like I've had so many images rejected from that contest I could tell you if it seems fair or not that they rejected yours.

Ken,
I rarely submit to 18+ because I rarely do anything close to spread shots (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I have had numerous images removed from the general contest. I am baffled by these removals because I see images on in that category on a consistent basis which I feel are more revealing that mine. Just check the last couple of weeks in that category and you will find much of the breast exposed and models with their crotches on full display.

Jan 31 23 06:09 am Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

David L. Stevens wrote:
Ken,
I rarely submit to 18+ because I rarely do anything close to spread shots (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I have had numerous images removed from the general contest. I am baffled by these removals because I see images on in that category on a consistent basis which I feel are more revealing that mine. Just check the last couple of weeks in that category and you will find much of the breast exposed and models with their crotches on full display.

I agree that it can sometimes be confusing what the mods consider Mature and what's they don't. I feel like I have a pretty good idea at this point, having submitted hundreds of photos, but I'm still surprised sometimes. That's the reason I submit like 95% of the images I'm going to enter in either contest beforehand to get approved. Unless it's just the model's face, or I'm 100% sure it won't get flagged as Mature, I submit them beforehand. That way I don't get any points added if they say I can't enter it.

Email all of your entries to [email protected] and get them approved (or not approved) before you enter them in the contest.

Feb 09 23 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tampa, Florida, US

Post hidden on Feb 13, 2023 05:40 am
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
Misinformation

Feb 09 23 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Confusing and arbitrary are two words that come to mind as to the "Mods" interpretations of what images should be 18+ and what images don't require such a designation  .  .  .  I'm not sure all the "Mods" have actually read and understand their own rules governing said labeling  .  .  .  having also suggested a mid range 18+ artistic based contest, allowing nudes and implied images a field to be seen and enjoyed amongst other images of the same ilk, I was surprised to hear that the idea had been dismissed out of hand as unnecessary, I guess they'd rather encourage discourse than positive interaction  .  .  .  oh well, back to my cave!

SOS

Feb 10 23 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

I figured something is busted in the software here.  Every pic I label as 'mature' in the confusing upload steps,  comes up not listed, and for 4 pics uploaded, I get 4 scolding messages on them for 'being detected as mature content' Well, yeah. I checked the box but it doesnt work
    As for the POTD,,what baffles me more than censorship,  is that when I 'vote' here in IL area, I have no idea what 'clock' they run on for the contest.   I've voted as late as 6PM here.  See 21 entries.  Next day I check the winners and find 25 entries with 4 more pics never ever were posted up in MY vote time zone, and they often win with the overnight' vote I guess.  And someone even made a note that the pics are really 2 days ahead to allow mods to remove the 'bad' ones before put up for vote. So how do 'extra's get in then?  Reminds me of voter fraud accusations that flow in national elections.    Whatever.

Feb 11 23 09:06 pm Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

Adventure Photos wrote:
I figured something is busted in the software here.  Every pic I label as 'mature' in the confusing upload steps,  comes up not listed, and for 4 pics uploaded, I get 4 scolding messages on them for 'being detected as mature content' Well, yeah. I checked the box but it doesnt work
    As for the POTD,,what baffles me more than censorship,  is that when I 'vote' here in IL area, I have no idea what 'clock' they run on for the contest.   I've voted as late as 6PM here.  See 21 entries.  Next day I check the winners and find 25 entries with 4 more pics never ever were posted up in MY vote time zone, and they often win with the overnight' vote I guess.  And someone even made a note that the pics are really 2 days ahead to allow mods to remove the 'bad' ones before put up for vote. So how do 'extra's get in then?  Reminds me of voter fraud accusations that flow in national elections.    Whatever.

I'm sorry that you perceive that message as "scolding", it's simply meant to inform you that the AI thought the photo is mature and provide a link for you to flag it for review. You're not being scolded, you're being informed.

As for this issue that you brought up about contest images, and seeing more photos the days after voting, is one I haven't noticed and one that no one has ever brought up before.
I don't know what might be causing this for you, but it's not happening for anyone else, not to my knowledge anyway.

Myself and at least two mods review the contest submissions in each contest, the day before they are voted on. One of the things we always note is the number of submission. If 30 images were submitted, and we remove 2 for violating a rule, then there would be 28 images to vote on. I have never noticed any discrepancy there. And just now I went and reviewed some past contests and found nothing amiss.

Feb 13 23 05:53 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm sorry that you perceive that message as "scolding", it's simply meant to inform you that the AI thought the photo is mature and provide a link for you to flag it for review. You're not being scolded, you're being informed.

As for this issue that you brought up about contest images, and seeing more photos the days after voting, is one I haven't noticed and one that no one has ever brought up before.
I don't know what might be causing this for you, but it's not happening for anyone else, not to my knowledge anyway.

Myself and at least two mods review the contest submissions in each contest, the day before they are voted on. One of the things we always note is the number of submission. If 30 images were submitted, and we remove 2 for violating a rule, then there would be 28 images to vote on. I have never noticed any discrepancy there. And just now I went and reviewed some past contests and found nothing amiss.

Is there a way to have Mod performance reviewed on occasion, and who would be doing that review?

SOS

Feb 13 23 07:18 am Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

Is there a way to have Mod performance reviewed on occasion, and who would be doing that review?

I am in charge of managing and reviewing the mods. And of course, I am managed and reviewed myself, by those higher ups.

Feb 13 23 07:21 am Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

Adventure Photos wrote:

I've seen you bring this up in another thread, so I started counting the number of images in the contests during voting and then the number the next day in the results. I did this for a week and never saw any images added. There was one time I saw one fewer image, but I know that happens sometimes if the mods end up going back and removing an image if there was something in it that violated the rules and they missed it in the normal review stage.

I'm wondering if you're using mobile to do your voting. I've noticed that the mobile version of the website can be a little weird sometimes and you might not see all of the images in the contest. I always click on the "Switch to Full Site" at the bottom of the page when I'm using my phone or iPad. It's a little wonky, where you might have to zoom in or out, but you get the same page you would on a desktop or laptop computer.

Also, you asked about the time that the contests reset. The website is based out of California, I believe, so they're using Pacific time. The contests reset at midnight Pacific Time (3am for me, in Indiana), if that helps.

Feb 13 23 08:18 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.) wrote:

I am in charge of managing and reviewing the mods. And of course, I am managed and reviewed myself, by those higher ups.

Seems like an update of Mods may be a good idea from time to time, sometimes if a person has been entrenched too long in a certain position they may become a bit stale and jaded as pertains to their duties  .  .  .  how often are Mods reviewed, and how often are the rules and regulations updated so as to keep up with current mores and trends?  It makes it a little difficult when the regs seem to be enforced in an uneven manner, I've had an image be deemed too nude to be in the POTD contest and then had the exact same image be deemed not nude enough to be included in the POTD18+ contest  .  .  .  is there a "Catch 22" clause somewhere I'm unaware of?

SOS

Feb 13 23 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Spiderwebphotos

Sauk City, Wisconsin, US

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.) wrote:

I have often noticed when looking at results pics I voted for not shown and then some I never saw before in the queue.

I only use the same computer to view MM so nothing to do with mobile factors

Feb 15 23 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

sospix wrote:
It makes it a little difficult when the regs seem to be enforced in an uneven manner, I've had an image be deemed too nude to be in the POTD contest and then had the exact same image be deemed not nude enough to be included in the POTD18+ contest  .  .  .  is there a "Catch 22" clause somewhere I'm unaware of?

This has happened to me once before. I had an image I was told needed to be entered in the 18+ contest because *This image appears to contain at least one Mature image element, (nudity/implied or otherwise/bare butt/sheer clothing) and should go in the POTD18+ contest.

This was the image: https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 20-big.jpg

A couple of years went by and I decided to enter it in the 18+ contest (even though I seriously doubted it would do well), only to be told it should have been entered in the regular contest. When I pointed out the fact that I'd been told it belonged in the 18+ the mod told me, "If you only submitted images that were clearly mature or clearly not mature this wouldn't happen."

I pushed back on this and said it's ultimately the mods' jobs to decide if an image is mature or not for this website since they're the ones who control it. Now, granted, it had been a couple of years since I was told the image was mature, so I totally understand a mod forgetting what they had said before and making a different decision because it is on the borderline between what is considered mature and what isn't on ModelMayhem. I'm only mentioning this instance to say that it happens to other people as well and some mods may even disagree whether an image is mature or not, so you're always better off emailing the image to them first to ask, if you think it could go either way.

Spiderwebphotos wrote:
I have often noticed when looking at results pics I voted for not shown and then some I never saw before in the queue.

I only use the same computer to view MM so nothing to do with mobile factors

If one or more disappear, that could be that the mods noticed something in the image they missed that would disqualify it from the contest and removed it. I've not seen any additional photos show up in the results the following day after monitoring the POTD and 18+ female contests for a week, but I'll keep checking the contests each day to see if I notice it.

Feb 15 23 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

KenPhoto wrote:

sospix wrote:
It makes it a little difficult when the regs seem to be enforced in an uneven manner, I've had an image be deemed too nude to be in the POTD contest and then had the exact same image be deemed not nude enough to be included in the POTD18+ contest  .  .  .  is there a "Catch 22" clause somewhere I'm unaware of?

This has happened to me once before. I had an image I was told needed to be entered in the 18+ contest because *This image appears to contain at least one Mature image element, (nudity/implied or otherwise/bare butt/sheer clothing) and should go in the POTD18+ contest.

This was the image: https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 20-big.jpg

A couple of years went by and I decided to enter it in the 18+ contest (even though I seriously doubted it would do well), only to be told it should have been entered in the regular contest. When I pointed out the fact that I'd been told it belonged in the 18+ the mod told me, "If you only submitted images that were clearly mature or clearly not mature this wouldn't happen."

I pushed back on this and said it's ultimately the mods' jobs to decide if an image is mature or not for this website since they're the ones who control it. Now, granted, it had been a couple of years since I was told the image was mature, so I totally understand a mod forgetting what they had said before and making a different decision because it is on the borderline between what is considered mature and what isn't on ModelMayhem. I'm only mentioning this instance to say that it happens to other people as well and some mods may even disagree whether an image is mature or not, so you're always better off emailing the image to them first to ask, if you think it could go either way.

It gets a bit confusing when the rules "they" quote have restricted areas, and "they" seem to confuse areas such as  "pelvic" and "pubic" (obviously the pubic area is a very small part of the pelvic area, and is much lower on the frame of the body), and that confusion results in images of models wearing bikinis that are readily acceptable on any public beach being deemed 18+ unnecessarily  .  .  . 

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 90-big.jpg

.  .  .  such as this image  .  .  .  and trying to get an explanation of the basis for the ruling makes it even more confusing  .  .  .  oh well, I guess there's no real recourse  .  .  .  I've been critiqued and evaluated in about every way possible both commercially and artistically throughout my professional career, so nothing really unique about the experience, it just takes what should be a pleasant interaction on a site for sharing work and ideas between fellow creators and dulls the enthusiasm to actively participate  .  .  .

SOS

Feb 16 23 07:46 am Link

Retoucher

Natti_Retoucher

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

Post hidden on Mar 06, 2023 06:15 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Spam

Feb 23 23 12:27 am Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

Natti_Retoucher wrote:
Hi, my name is Nati Perebyinis, I'm from Ukraine. I am in a wheelchair. This is my main source of income. I love retouching and I do it professionally. We could cooperate and help each other to make this world more beautiful smile  I can take 1 test photo free.
[email protected]
https://nati-rh.site/

Nati, you probably want to post this in the Digital Art and Retouching forum. The mods will probably deem it off-topic for this thread.

Feb 27 23 01:50 pm Link