Forums > General Industry > A Loaded Gun on the set?

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:

What we have, at first sight is a death that could have resulted from either extreme carelessness or an intention on someone's part. A possible financial motive has been suggested. Alec Baldwin's lies, dissembling and denials make it look it look like murder to me.

" A possible financial motive has been suggested."

By you, and debunked.

" Alec Baldwin's lies, dissembling and denials make it look it look like murder to me"

And to me it looks like someone trying to avoid jail time.

Well, we will just have to see what an actual trial with actual evidence  concludes, rather than your baseless fantasies.

Mar 09 24 09:19 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Focuspuller wrote:
And to me it looks like someone trying to avoid jail time.

Jail time for manslaughter or jail time for murder?

Mar 09 24 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:

Jail time for manslaughter or jail time for murder?

Did you not know he is charged with "INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER", not murder?

Mar 09 24 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Focuspuller wrote:
Perhaps the judge will take the extenuating circumstances into consideration on sentencing.

I hope so.  She is very young and inexperienced to have been put under those conditions on the job. At least she will have time to consider a major career change.

Mar 11 24 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

‘RUST’ ARMORER SENTENCED TO 18 MONTHS IN ALEC BALDWIN’S SHOOTING OF HALYNA HUTCHINS
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/rust … 235971516/

Maximum sentence. Fair? I don't think so.

She had to be guilty, but the First AD got a pass. The Prop Master got a pass. The Production company got a pass.

Seems like selective prosecution to me.

Apr 15 24 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Focuspuller wrote:
‘RUST’ ARMORER SENTENCED TO 18 MONTHS IN ALEC BALDWIN’S SHOOTING OF HALYNA HUTCHINS

She had to be guilty, but the First AD got a pass. The Prop Master got a pass. The Production company got a pass.

I don't think the judge was fair either.  Her attorney will file an appeal, but as slow as courts are, she may have served most of her sentence by the time an appeal is heard!

Apr 15 24 05:47 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I gotta think the judge is right. Hanna screwed up.  It was her job to make sure the guns were safe.  She complains there wasn't time.  She was over worked, and under staffed, but she had the option of quitting the job in protest to the conditions.  SInstead, she had the time to party, drink and get high. 

She knew or should have known her phone calls from jail were being monitored.  "Everything you say can and will be held against you," and she had lots to say and it was held against her.  In 200 phone calls, she never admitted responsibility or remorse.

18 months really is not a long time for the death that she contributed to or the impact on other people's lives she is responsible for.  Someone died.  That is permanent.

The AD having gotten off so easy looks bad, but he was handed what he was told was a cold gun and all he did was to announce that on set.  It was not his responsibility to open the gun, remove the cartridges and check them to assure they were not live ammo- and could he have been able to tell the ammo was safe unless the cartridges were missing the primer, perforated, clearly rattled, or possessed a combination of the above traits? 

It is a shame for Hanna, but many people have their life trajectories altered when they make poor choices and act caviler- especially when they involve alcohol and drugs.

Apr 15 24 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I gotta think the judge is right. Hanna screwed up.  It was her job to make sure the guns were safe.  She complains there wasn't time.  She was over worked, and under staffed, but she had the option of quitting the job in protest to the conditions.  SInstead, she had the time to party, drink and get high. 

She knew or should have known her phone calls from jail were being monitored.  "Everything you say can and will be held against you," and she had lots to say and it was held against her.  In 200 phone calls, she never admitted responsibility or remorse.

18 months really is not a long time for the death that she contributed to or the impact on other people's lives she is responsible for.  Someone died.  That is permanent.

The AD having gotten off so easy looks bad, but he was handed what he was told was a cold gun and all he did was to announce that on set.  It was not his responsibility to open the gun, remove the cartridges and check them to assure they were not live ammo- and could he have been able to tell the ammo was safe unless the cartridges were missing the primer, perforated, clearly rattled, or possessed a combination of the above traits? 

It is a shame for Hanna, but many people have their life trajectories altered when they make poor choices and act caviler- especially when they involve alcohol and drugs.

I had no idea how bad Hannah's phone calls were!  Her attitude needs adjusting.  Although we all do stupid things, and make mistakes when we are young, now I do think now that the sentence was appropriate. It's not long.  Certainly I hope she comes out better for it.  Mr. Baldwin is next.

Apr 16 24 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Yes Hannah's phone calls were damning and no doubt sealed her fate with the judge. The verdict is fair, but the maximum sentence ignores some mitigating facts, at least in my opinion.

Gabrielle Pickle, line producer, responsible for hiring crew, made the unreasonable  requirement that the armorer on this gun-heavy western film, had also to serve as a prop assistant, despite knowing full well that Hannah was young and inexperienced. Professionals had previously turned down the job:

"...veteran property master Neal W. Zoromski came forward to say that he was in discussions about coming aboard as Rust’s property master, but ultimately passed on the job after getting a “bad feeling.”

“He said he felt that Rust was too much of a slapdash production, one with an overriding focus on saving money instead of a concern for people’s safety. Production managers didn’t seem to value experience and were brushing off his questions, he said.”

“You never have a prop assistant double as the armorer,” Zoromski said. “Those are two really big jobs.”

https://uproxx.com/movies/rust-prop-mas … c-baldwin/

Should Gabriellle Pickle have been charged?

Sarah Zachry, prop master who was hired, was also young and inexperienced. She personally misfired a loaded weapon on the set on a previous day. On the day of the fatal shooting, Zachry admitted after the incident she unloaded two weapons held by other actors and discarded them. Weapons SHE had loaded.

Sarah Zachry was so inexperienced in weapon handling she was being mentored by Seth Kenney,  supplier of the ammo to the production. While he was supplying "dummy" rounds to "Rust", he was also supplying live rounds to a Kevin Costner project, and driving between both locations with the rounds himself. His work area photos displayed in court revealed a chaotic mess. "After the shooting, Zachry texted Kenney "Emergency!" and then they had a brief phone call. Zachry said that Kenney seemed "mortified." She denied that the call was linked to her decision to throw away dummy rounds."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/r … r-BB1jbwtc

Sarah Zachry was given immunity for her testimony.

The AD, David Halls, by virtue of his position, was the set safety officer. Aside from declaring the weapon "cold" without personally confirming that fact, which, by the way, is an unusual involvement of an AD in the normal chain of weapons possession, videos and testimony in court revealed a shocking lack of gun safety practice in general on his set; guns waved around, pointed at people, not secured safely.

David Halls given a plea deal and 6 months unsupervised probation for his testimony.

Hannah was guilty. It was her job. But she wasn't the only irresponsible one on that show. Was it necessary for the prosecution to convict Hannah and Baldwin that at least three parties be given a pass and Hannah given maximum sentence? Does not feel right to me.

Apr 16 24 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Apr 17 24 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

John Silva Photography wrote:

I haven't been on here since the verdict. "Selective"? I don't think so. I read in one of the verdict reports that SHE and she along brought the live ammunition to the set which should have NEVER been there. Because of here negligence a person is dead! It doesn't matter the experience level, SHE accepted the job indicating she was qualified to be the armorer and if the position requires any type of paper, she obviously had that.
NO ONE ELSE was responcible for bringing the ammunition that actually killed the director. Yes there was a lot of bad and failed protocal but one must look at how the live ammunition got there. I also read that the judge never felt she had remorse or took 100% responcibility for HER roll in the death. Obviously she didn't want it to happen but because of her it could and did happen.
I think 18 mos. is pretty generous seeing how someone is dead because of direct negligence!!!
John

Apr 17 24 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

I agree.

Apr 18 24 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

She is guilty and is going to jail, as she should.

Others who contributed to the toxic conditions on that production were protected by a serially shambolic prosecution determined to save its reputation and get a conviction that a total incompetent couldn't screw up, and In doing so, other guilty parties escaped virtually any consequences whatsoever.

It is PRECISELY because "someone is dead" that:

The line producer who imposed dangerous conditions on the armorer and ignored safety complaints from the camera crew  should not be permitted to produce a film again.

The First AD who permitted unsafe firearm activity to continue should never be allowed to run a set again.

The Property Master who caused a misfire and destroyed evidence, possibly to cover up her own malfeasance, and who had a very suspicious relationship with the ammunition supplier should never work again.

Instead, the prosecutor gets an easy scalp at the expense of at least three punishable parties walking away unscathed.

Apr 18 24 09:41 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Bob Helm Photography wrote:

I agree.

-
Damn, Bob.  STOP IT!  smile

Apr 18 24 10:08 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Focuspuller wrote:
She is guilty and is going to jail, as she should.

Others who contributed to the toxic conditions on that production were protected by a serially shambolic prosecution determined to save its reputation and get a conviction that a total incompetent couldn't screw up, and In doing so, other guilty parties escaped virtually any consequences whatsoever.

It is PRECISELY because "someone is dead" that:

The line producer who imposed dangerous conditions on the armorer and ignored safety complaints from the camera crew  should not be permitted to produce a film again.

The First AD who permitted unsafe firearm activity to continue should never be allowed to run a set again.

The Property Master who caused a misfire and destroyed evidence, possibly to cover up her own malfeasance, and who had a very suspicious relationship with the ammunition supplier should never work again.

Instead, the prosecutor gets an easy scalp at the expense of at least three punishable parties walking away unscathed.

-
All your points are valid, but, unfortunately, I don't see how if these other people were held responsible and prosecuted, it changes the terms of the sentence that Hanna got.  In the vacuum of her actions, Hanna got a just sentence. 

The incompetence and malfeasance on the part of the representatives of the people, it is difficult to quantify against Hanna.  Did the AD's actions (or any other person's action) cause Hanna to be sentenced to serve one month she should not serve?

Apr 18 24 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

-
All your points are valid, but, unfortunately, I don't see how if these other people were held responsible and prosecuted, it changes the terms of the sentence that Hanna got.  In the vacuum of her actions, Hanna got a just sentence. 

The incompetence and malfeasance on the part of the representatives of the people, it is difficult to quantify against Hanna.  Did the AD's actions (or any other person's action) cause Hanna to be sentenced to serve one month she should not serve?

If the "Rust" production were a model of appropriate behavior and proper safety practices, and the armorer permitted a live round to end up killing one person and wounding another, 18 months would not have been sufficient, in my opinion.

But that was not the case. "Rust" on so many levels was literally a tragedy waiting to happen.

So let's face it; sentences can be transactional, and the judge had discretion, and could have sent a message to the prosecution with a 16-month sentence, for example. One factor I did not mention is the possible influence of pressure to not discourage filmmaking in New Mexico by extending punishment into the production office.

I have maintained Hannah's guilt from the beginning, but as the facts were revealed, it became obvious that the prosecution was going to ignore the pervasive toxicity of that production and settle for the easy win while others with blood on their hands were permitted to walk. That is offensive to me. Others may differ.

Apr 18 24 11:23 am Link