Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Please critique my retouching

Retoucher

KatanyaG

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Hi All,

Could I please have some constructive critiquing on my retouch of this photo of Nikki Sofie by William Clark as so that I can develop and improve?

What sticks out to you that I should focus on?

Do you have any tips for colour grading, and how would I go about fixing the texture on her shoulder? Do I need to resort to using frequency separation, or is it fine to leave as is (should it be left as is)?

Many thanks,
Katy

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51313734082_13f332db32_b.jpg
Photographer: William Clark - www.WilliamClarkPhoto.co.uk
Model: Nikki Sofie
Retouching: Katanya - www.katanya.com.au

Large 2048px high: retouched and original

Jul 15 21 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Overall, I like what you have done with this image. I think the color is better,
but might have gone a little yellow. Wondering why you took out nose ring?
The hot spots still bother me a bit, I dont know what could be recovered,
or if this is from a RAW file. I try to keep a dot gain of at least 1 or 2 even in
highlights. You have done well with a subtle, not over the top retouch, good job.

Jul 26 21 02:37 pm Link

Retoucher

KatanyaG

Thanks for your feedback Motordrive. I really appreciate it.

Looking back on it I see what you mean by she's a bit too yellow now - I'm rather struggling with skin tones. I either currently make them too red, too green, or too yellow! Do you have any tips on how I could refine it, so my colours aren't so skewed (I have calibrated my screens, but I don't know, I struggle to see the variations)? Or does it just come with practice?
I thought that by removing the earrings it may be a bit strange to leave her nose ring - I was also aiming for a really clean skin sort of a look if that makes sense. I also figured that because it wasn't a permanent feature that it wouldn't hurt to remove it.
When I processed the raw file I tried to knock back the highlights in there - it didn't seem to make any difference though. Sorry I'm a real newbie - what do you mean by dot gain, and how do I do that? Is that something to do with curves?

Many thanks for your help Motordrive, and your kind words. I hope you're having an awesome day. :-)

Jul 26 21 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

When starting out, it's common to wrestle with skin tones, especially if you didn't shoot the photo or
have a Color Checker reference shot for that group of images. So in those cases, use the info pallette
and my rule of thumb. (usually set at 9×9) cyan value about 1/4 of the magenta value and yellow is
1 or 2 higher than magenta. (note, I don't change the image to CMYK, I just see both RGB and CMYK
in the info) and yes, practice helps.

I hadn't noticed the earings were gone,  tongue and it looks okay with and without nosering, but I know
from experience, doing retouching for others, the shot might be for example a jewelry store, or a
stylist that chose what the model wore.

From start (RAW file) to finish (ready to print or export), I try to keep tabs on four different values
to not go out of gamut for the intended use. Kind of like the zone system in the film era 1) D-max
is the darkest pixel 2) High densty is darkest shadow you need detail in 3) D-min is the lightest pixel
4) low density is the lightest place you need to see texture. A dot gain of 0 would be blank paper
in those areas if you printed it on an inkjet for example. I use both curves and levels to change those.

Jul 27 21 05:52 pm Link

Retoucher

KatanyaG

Thank you for getting back to me Motordrive - I really appreciate it. Sorry I didn't reply earlier today - I saw your comment regarding the skin tones and tried to apply it to another image. Thank you for giving me a starting point - I will have to tinker with it further (also, I think the image I tried it on wasn't uh, the best image to use).

When I get clients I'll be sure to ask them what they want and expect in regards to retouching - I wasn't sure about this one (it was just one of those practice images from the net). :-)

I don't quite understand the values thing yet I'm afraid - I've never really had much experience with photography tbh (I did a year in uni as part of my degree but that's pretty much it - nothing professional or anything interesting) so I'm definitely going to research into it further. With the dot gain of 0 - is it bad to have areas where you rely on the blank paper in photography?

Sorry for all the n00bish questions. And many thanks yet again :-)

Jul 28 21 03:09 am Link

Retoucher

sanqiuyinghua

Huaiyin, Jiangsu, China

My suggestion is that you can first unify the brightness of the shoulders and the face in the black and white observation layer. As for the color, I think it is easy to solve

Mar 30 23 02:41 am Link