Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > portfolio critique please

Photographer

Images by Gary Holyoke

Utica, New York, US

my portfolio is a bit dated and I am trying to get back into shooting.
Thank You in advance.

Apr 30 21 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Find an artist you would like to model your imagery after and take some classes. Right now your imagery is just all over the place. It just looks like random shots from whenever you have your camera available. Your post work is horrendous.

May 09 21 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Rough Hewn Images

Salem, Oregon, US

The vignetting is over used.  It has it's place but is not needed on a majority of them.

You have a mix of street, portrait, and studio styles.  For the time being concentrate on one and work up the experience then branch out.

I am kind of in the same boat, a very long hiatus and am just getting back into things.

May 09 21 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Brosius Photographics

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Use the best shot from each session.  You have 3 black-and-white images of a mature older gentleman.  You probably only need one.  Then you have 3 images of a gentleman smoking.  Again, pick the best one.

Several images look like they were taken at a fair/carnival/festival.  Street photography is good and all but what is the story? 

My advice is to get an experienced model to work with you.  They will know poses and help you focus on one thing.  Learn about shallow depth of field if you plan to shoot outside or if you want to work on studio photography get a strobe and a beauty dish.  You can do a lot with a single light.

Most important...keep practicing.  Ask questions. Learn. Grow.  You'll get there smile

Mark

May 11 21 06:54 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Was gonna write out some of the more obvious problems, but I can see above it's already been said, there's definitely issues here that need attention, and I think it would be useful for you to take the comments above and apply your efforts in those directions, if you're looking to improve.

May 23 21 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Everyone needs to start somewhere.
In all sincerity my advice to you would be to book yourself into some basic photography classes and focus on becoming proficient with your technique and equipment. Your exposure, composition and light direction is inconsistent at best and as you may or may not have found out already, trying to cover up these mistakes in post can be tricky, if not impossible.
If you'd genuinely like to improve your work to a reasonable/professional standard, there are ways to do so.

May 31 21 03:22 am Link