Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Can we save this forum???

Photographer

TSOYLU

İstanbul, İstanbul, Turkey

Once upon a time here was a helpful place where tons of useful information about digital skills were shared..
Nowadays it has become  yellow pages for retouchers. 
Are we going to be able to make this forum beneficial again?
Or maybe dear admins can open up a new forum for retouchers looking for a job?
What do you think?

Apr 24 21 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

This forum was a favourite of mine--a number of gifted people I think were turned off by arguments etc.

Apr 25 21 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I don't know why photographers aren't uploading their images or posting comments in the Forums as much as they did "once upon a time".

But I struggle to see how the relatively small number of retouchers on MM are responsible for the lack of participation in the Forums.

Apr 26 21 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Camera Buff wrote:
I don't know why photographers aren't uploading their images or posting comments in the Forums as much as they did "once upon a time".

All online forums have slowed down, other than the Big Players(tm) like Facebook and Instagram. But this last year has been even more of a low activity period for photographers due to the various health recommendations. Without new shoots, there aren't as many images that they're interested in showing.

Apr 27 21 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Kevin Connery wrote:
All online forums have slowed down, other than the Big Players(tm) like Facebook and Instagram. But this last year has been even more of a low activity period for photographers due to the various health recommendations. Without new shoots, there aren't as many images that they're interested in showing.

Hi Kevin, I recognise how the various health recommendations wiĺl have impacted  productivity over the past 12 months.

Apr 28 21 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I learnt a lot from the regular contributors to this forum, much more so than from anywhere else, and I made a few friends along the way. That was a long time ago though and in some ways it's a shame that the expertise and knowledge that once abounded here has gone, together with most of the people who shared it.

I suspect the current prevalence of Youtube retouching tutorials will ensure that this forum remains dead.

May 10 21 06:25 am Link

Photographer

alekssm

København, Hovedstaden, Denmark

TSOYLU wrote:
Once upon a time here was a helpful place where tons of useful information about digital skills were shared..
Nowadays it has become  yellow pages for retouchers. 
Are we going to be able to make this forum beneficial again?
Or maybe dear admins can open up a new forum for retouchers looking for a job?
What do you think?

Totaly agree. A new forum for retouchers looking for jobs etc. should be created.

May 11 21 06:47 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Instead of teaching here for free people moved on.

There were too many viewers but very few contributors. Sharing valuable knowledge here created alot of $1-5 retouchers who had learnt frequency separation one week ago. Some models became retouchers, some photographers decided they dont need retouchers.

Those who actually had knowledge and talent are still helping people in their own way and earning some passive or active income too while doing so.

And there were stupid f*ck**g photographers who were purists and wanted everything done right in the camera. I wonder how succesful they are now?

May 12 21 12:17 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Koray wrote:
Instead of teaching here for free people moved on.

There were too many viewers but very few contributors. Sharing valuable knowledge here created alot of $1-5 retouchers who had learnt frequency separation one week ago.

This.

May 12 21 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Fall River Photo

Salinas, California, US

ROUA IMAGES wrote:

This.

Yes. This, indeed.

(I would add that there's also that pebbly-naugahyde-surfaced-facial-treatment skill that has gotten way-too-popular. But it's still  only the low-low-price of $1-5 an image.)

Shout out to those who have commented favorably on my (and others') TTL images. Not that I don't retouch (and over-retouch), but I'm considering the deletion of (m)any of my own portfolio images in which...well, the model gets lost beneath the smoothness.

But back to the point: I only know a few little tricks. I'd like to learn more. And YouTube is helpful, even for those of us who use off-brand (ACDSee) digital management/editing suites. But building a community of collaborators is one of the things I appreciate most about the creators I know here in the Monterey Bay region. We could probably do more of that with the online community we have here, right?

May 13 21 06:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

I remember it used to be place where the very worst work, the most doll-like, was the most encouraged. It was as if people continually exposed to this terrible look, became blinded to it. At least for a while

People like, who turned out to be an Indian guy called Pratik, managed to develop entire careers out of model mayhem. With everything they posted getting “the greatest of work! I can only dream one day of your skills, but I’ll be happy to bask in your glory for the moment” And other such Amazon-like review wordings.

It was here that the dreaded "frequency separation" was first broken as a technique to the world 2010-2011. And that created huge problems for the entire retouching community, because everything looked fake in terms of skin work from than point onward. As it was now possible to use that technique to do work quickly and badly. "Professional Courses" were started which had that technique in its variations as their main selling point, it was like a ball roiling down down a hill. You still see the damage that caused being used on professional ad campaigns occasionally.     

A few were exceptions, but they disappeared pretty quickly.

Sep 09 21 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Probably no saving it

Sep 09 21 07:54 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Mistletoe wrote:
I remember it used to be place where the very worst work...

Then you quit and turned into a whining troll apparently big_smile

Sep 29 21 01:47 am Link

Retoucher

KatanyaG

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

I'd like to reply more, and I'm enjoying going back and seeing what everyone has discussed.
At the moment however I'm too much of a newb - I'd also like to ask questions but I'm still gauging the waters yet :-)

Oct 04 21 01:51 am Link