Forums > Contests > POTD Format Question

Photographer

TJ Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

I glance at the POTD contest winners from time to time and have noticed that every image is vertical format.  I don't know of any rules favoring or preventing a certain format, and I think some people enter horizontal format images.  So what accounts for this dominance by the vertical format images?  As it is, the contest seems to be rewarding too many mediocre and thematically repetitive images.  So a little variety in format and vision would be welcome.

Dec 28 20 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Fall River Photo

Salinas, California, US

The images are displayed with a maximum horizontal pixel count (it's late in the evening, and I gave up trying to remember the technical term). Therefore, if you enter a horizontal image, it is greatly reduced in size in comparison to vertical images. Similarly a 4x5 ratio doesn't get as much space in the display as a narrower vertical like 1x2 or even (I think I've entered a few) 1x3 vertical.

Does that answer your question? Or am I too tired to comprehend it at the moment?

Your point about the tired sameness of the images, too, is on point. I only searched the forums for posts about POTD as I noticed that the numbers of entries is continuing to dwindle. This seems to bear out what another photographer of great experience (and great models) has pointed out: the same small group of photographers producing the same kinds of images vote for one another's images--either out of collaboration to define their genres (my friend's perspective on it) or simply because they subconsciously pattern their selection of "best" images after the images they are "best" at producing. Sad to see most of the interesting locations, poses, props and, frankly, models disappearing before our eyes.

Yours,
Bill

Mar 08 21 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

AE Photography

Quartzsite, Arizona, US

Fall River Photo wrote:
Sad to see most of the interesting locations, poses, props and, frankly, models disappearing before our eyes.

Yours,
Bill

the contests are down to the lowest totals in my decade+ here... part of MM's problem is their cumulative punitive approach to rejecting images for the contests. The POTD contest used to have dozens of entries and would actually fill to capacity and if you didn't get an entry in early enough in the day the contest would be full. Now the contest is down to less then 2 dozen images.

Personally, I'm done with it. Maybe when it just dies because the entry numbers for all contests get down to the Mens' 18+ level of maybe only 3 or 4 entries they'll figure it out (tho' I have my doubts about that).

Mar 13 21 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Fall River Photo

Salinas, California, US

Glad to see, yet sad to know, that my perceptions were not inaccurate.

Mar 16 21 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

AE Photography wrote:

the contests are down to the lowest totals in my decade+ here... part of MM's problem is their cumulative punitive approach to rejecting images for the contests. The POTD contest used to have dozens of entries and would actually fill to capacity and if you didn't get an entry in early enough in the day the contest would be full. Now the contest is down to less then 2 dozen images.

Personally, I'm done with it. Maybe when it just dies because the entry numbers for all contests get down to the Mens' 18+ level of maybe only 3 or 4 entries they'll figure it out (tho' I have my doubts about that).

Excellent feedback. This site as a whole has declined since I first joined years ago. I think many photographers and models use Instagram as a format to showcase and communicate to prospective clients.

As mentioned above, the POTD has turned into bare ass shots and vote harvesting. Rarely do you see an image win with real artistic quality. This is not to say that the winning images are not good shots but only predicatable.

Mar 27 21 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Brett Hunt

Washington Court House, Ohio, US

I believe  the Mods play a big part why the number dropped.  Point blank other than a place to have fun , the contests mean nothing . I believe this is stated in the rules  you get bragging rights. So once you eliminate the fun what is the point.

Aug 03 21 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Brett Hunt

Washington Court House, Ohio, US

David L. Stevens wrote:

Excellent feedback. This site as a whole has declined since I first joined years ago. I think many photographers and models use Instagram as a format to showcase and communicate to prospective clients.

As mentioned above, the POTD has turned into bare ass shots and vote harvesting. Rarely do you see an image win with real artistic quality. This is not to say that the winning images are not good shots but only predicatable.

You can say that in all genres, styles come and go so do the voters. I remember when the only way to win was slap a ton of make up on and wigs and period piece clothes  . Usually in a studio with a fantasy background edited in.
That went on about a year or two.

Aug 03 21 10:06 am Link