Forums > Photography Talk > Fair skin Asian model and a black cat.

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

A friend/model of  mine has a black cat. and I am trying  to persuade her to do  nude shoot with her black cat!
I have a technical question about exposure...Take a reading from a grey card, shoot raw and work it out in post production?
Any suggestions?

Nov 27 20 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Any suggestions?

Expose for the Cat.

Nov 28 20 01:40 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Expose for the Cat.

OK, I'll give it a try, it a try but wont  the model be burnt out? (could be interesting)
In photoshop I have been able to extract details from a under expose subjects  but over expose subjects have never worked.
About taking a reading of the cat and one from the model complexion, and split in the middle?

Nov 28 20 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
About taking a reading of the cat and one from the model complexion, and split in the middle?

Wouldn't that be about the same thing as taking an incident reading?
When posing, be sure that the cat is in front toward the light and not shaded by any part of the model's body.

Nov 28 20 05:38 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Wouldn't that be about the same thing as taking an incident reading?
When posing, be sure that the cat is in front toward the light and not shaded by any part of the model's body.

Good idea but I don't have a clue on how to do take an incident light reading with a digital camera!!
Just thought !! Weddings photographers have to deal with a similar situation...Black suit next to a white dress!!

Nov 28 20 06:24 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

...walk into a bar. (Sorry, sounded like a joke setup.)

I agree the biggest issue will be keeping the cat within the lit scene and out of the model's shadows from poses and squirmy catness.

Are you planning to use strobes, continual, or natural lighting?   Do you have a gray card?

Nov 28 20 06:39 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Good idea but I don't have a clue on how to do take an incident light reading with a digital camera!!
Just thought !! Weddings photographers have to deal with a similar situation...Black suit next to a white dress!!

Use a meter then set the camera to the meters reading.

Nov 28 20 06:56 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

ROUA IMAGES wrote:
...walk into a bar. (Sorry, sounded like a joke setup.)

I agree the biggest issue will be keeping the cat within the lit scene and out of the model's shadows from poses and squirmy catness.

Are you planning to use strobes, continual, or natural lighting?   Do you have a gray card?

I do have a grey card and use LED lights

Nov 28 20 07:01 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

GianCarlo Images wrote:

Use a meter then set the camera to the meters reading.

I had a believe a Sekonic(?) But no idea where it could be....

Nov 28 20 07:04 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Then, yes.  Have model - or assistant (or cat?!) hold card in front of them while they are in place with lighting set and take a reading off the card (through the camera if no meter).   You will no doubt have to bump the cat out of shadows in post a bit either way.  But not terribly so.

The camera's reading "should be" accurate enough.

Funny, just out of curiosity from this thread I went looking for my meter and damned if I know where it went.

Nov 28 20 07:09 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Thanks!!  Good luck finding it could be use as a paper weight

Nov 28 20 07:55 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Flat lighting to lower contrast.  Maybe bounce flash onto white ceiling, shade, etc.

Set camera for HDR if possible, and have subject stay still if the shot sequence seems to slow for your particular camera.  Some newer ones are quite fast even for still people and I've done some hand-helds with the Olympus in high-contrast scenes (i.e Outside of windows lit by sun along with inside shots and blended in camera.

Bracketing and stacking in non-HDR cameras.

Watch histogram to insure against blowing out highlights - unless you want that effect.  Generally you have more latitude with the shadow side, and use some denoise software if it gets too bad pulling it up.

Incident reading from your Sekonic.  I know my camera's working EV range from the RGB value S-scale when I calibrated my two Sekonics using their DTS software and their Exposure II chart.  I can go +3 stops over to -4 EV under and hold detail within that range easily.  If I were to set the camera for HDR internally, I'd go with +/- 2 stop sequence from incident.  More than that and the scene looks flat and odd to my eye.  The Olympus has some HDR II mode that can take five shots and assemble to one, but I prefer the three shot HDR I as the dynamic range is too much otherwise.

Lacking a meter and if you want to shoot a two-shot HDR, I've used a large white styrofoam ball from floral supply or hobby shop, and shoot it until I get the over-exposure blinkies and back it down a third stop which insures I keep my highlight info. Basically, that sets my ETTR shot to retain my highlights.  Then I shoot number 2 at 4 stops under and blend in PS,etc..

Lots of photographing "Black Cat" ideas in Google.

Good luck!

Nov 28 20 08:12 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

I had a believe a Sekonic(?) But no idea where it could be....

Why make a simple thing difficult? Incidence reading, pretty much fool proof. Find the meter and use it.

Nov 28 20 08:57 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Simply follow these steps to the letter and there will be no problems:

Have the cat measure the nudeness of the proper LED.  Put the LED's settings and the model's both on gray to get the perfect balance of light and dark which can be verified by the ratio of chartreuse to mauve when set correctly. 

Or, the cat could show up wearing gray but will then have to measure the color of the lettering on the camera body (which should also be nude) based on how much the model (who will be clothed) reflects their hairstyle into the darker light of the brighter dark shade.  If done properly, all might feel exposed during this incident and should take a moment to reflect. 

There. Is. No. Simpler. Solution.

*Now I'm antsy cause there's a light meter roaming the house unchecked.  It just might be acting as a paperweight.  Could be anywhere at this point. :-P

Nov 28 20 10:43 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Thanks every one now I have to talk to the cat who is very camera shy

Nov 28 20 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
I do have a grey card and use LED lights

Well, there you go.
Grey cards work as well with LED as with flash.

Nov 28 20 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

It's possible by several methods. If you have a incident meter, if you have grey cards, if you have modifiers for your flash (if flash is used), if your have Photoshop (or it's equivalent), and if you have a camera with a wide dynamic range.

With a continuous light source: take an incident meter reading and set it on the camera (manual mode). Or, take a reading using the built-in meter using a grey card and set that on the camera. If you are going to light by flash you need to reduce it's contrast by some type of modifier.

Use flat lighting to decrease the difference between the shadows and the highlights. You can use a post processing software to pull up the shadow details and lower the highlights. And, of course, if you have a camera that has a wide dynamic range it would make it somewhat easier.

If you have none of the above...good luck.

Nov 28 20 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Noah Russell

Seattle, Washington, US

As someone that has photographed a pale skinned model with a black cat multiple times( I had a black cat that loved to photo bomb), its not that complicated..

I shot in manual, exposed for the highlights and the cat had plenty of light on it. In light room the models skin measures 89% and the cat measured 11%.  I did not use a meter, just dialed the lights up until I liked the results.

The situation may confuse the cameras meter but probably not as much as a white dress and black suit would. Shoot in manual and you will be just fine.  A light meter could save some trial and error but it is by no means a necessity.

Cheers,
Noah

Nov 28 20 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

JP, I have just seen your post and have to wonder if you really are unsure how to expose this picture. Your portfolio is outstanding not only in beauty but in the technical side.
What would be the difference in the exposure issue than with your beautiful Asian model who I assume would have jet black hair. Has that exposure baffled you? Her hair and the cat would be about the same.
But my quick response would be expose for the highlights (her skin) and put up the shadows in Lightroom.
I am certain you will be able to make this a beautiful image.

Dec 06 20 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Expose for the Cat.

Yes . . . Expose for the cat . . . BUT . . . Stop down 2 stops (otherwise you will have a grey cat and an overexposed model).

Exposing for the black cat places the cat on Zone 5 (neutral grey).
Placing the cat on Zone 3 makes the cat two stops darker and if you are shooting RAW, the model will be almost white, but not burned out.

The easiest way is to just check your histograms in the camera and make sure you aren't blowing out the whites, while keeping the blacks within range

Dec 07 20 10:25 am Link