Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Advise for covering tattoos

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I realize the best makeup work is done by a good professional makeup artist. But often as a photographer that does not want tattoos in his photographs it would be nice if I was able to cover those small tats on someone I want to photograph. Are there any suggestions on what makeup products a guy like me could have on hand for covering these small tattoos? Everyone is going to have different skin tone so trying to keep a hundred different tints is not feasible. Any suggestions for what products to use are appreciated.

Oct 19 20 08:41 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Buying this kit (3 items) might help in a pinch:  https://www.amazon.com/Mehron-Makeup-Ta … merReviews

Dermablend is a popular cover, but very pricey for as little as you get, ~$30 for an ounce.  Ben Nye is about half that price.  Then you are back to dealing with sundry tints too and maybe the need to cover all other body parts with it that may show coloration differences.  Even a small one on an arm can take a lot of product to even it up, and then dealing with the other arm's coloring as well.  Working with film, prior to digital and PS, meant a lot of coverage and materials to even up a lot of skin, even using an airbrush.

What I do is hire a makeup person who has the kit and know how on covering it up, and then deduct it from the model's payment as well as the time it takes for the MU person to do the job - but only if I must work with the tattoo issue.  The MU people do a cleaner job overall, imho, and they can spot a touch-up faster too.

However, far easier, faster, and cheaper to avoid that going into a job too.

Oct 19 20 09:25 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

GRMACK wrote:
Buying this kit (3 items) might help in a pinch:  https://www.amazon.com/Mehron-Makeup-Ta … merReviews

Dermablend is a popular cover, but very pricey for as little as you get, ~$30 for an ounce.  Ben Nye is about half that price.  Then you are back to dealing with sundry tints too and maybe the need to cover all other body parts with it that may show coloration differences.  Even a small one on an arm can take a lot of product to even it up, and then dealing with the other arm's coloring as well.  Working with film, prior to digital and PS, meant a lot of coverage and materials to even up a lot of skin, even using an airbrush.

What I do is hire a makeup person who has the kit and know how on covering it up, and then deduct it from the model's payment as well as the time it takes for the MU person to do the job - but only if I must work with the tattoo issue.  The MU people do a cleaner job overall, imho, and they can spot a touch-up faster too.
However, far easier, faster, and cheaper to avoid that going into a job too.

Thank you. I will look into this product, and thanks for the link.

It’s just for the small tats. I will not take on someone with arm sleeves or something that big. I shoot with film and do not photoshop. My photos rely solely on planning, lighting, and exposure. I would never waste my time removing things like that on a computer.

Oct 19 20 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

TJ Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

I happened to see this thread and thought I should leave a response.  I don't believe in using any kind of cover makeup for tattoos unless they're very small and easy to cover.  In my experience--going back many years, before I stopped even trying to have a makeup artist cover the tattoo area--there is NO option that works that well on most tattoos.  Products like Dermablend don't usually obscure the entire tattoo, and they usually end up making a different color messy spot larger than the tattoo being covered. It's very difficult to match the skin color and also obscure various colors in a tattoo.  So it's a waste of time, and you end up seeing the tattoo through the makeup even more in the digital image than you could see by eye at the time of shooting.

My advice is to forget about trying to cover a tattoo.  Either don't hire the model, or if the model has the tattoo in a somewhat strategic spot, avoid the shooting angle that reveals the tattoo. But the best approach of all is to use Photoshop to take out the tattoo after the fact.   It's easier, cheaper and cleaner to remove with the Patch tool, Healing Brush and maybe the Clone tool, depending on what version you have.  I've used that for many years as the way to remove not just unwanted tattoos but lots of other skin issues. 

I know I'm probably in a minority now, but I dislike the fact that almost every model these days has at least one or two tattoos.  It's usually like hanging a velvet Elvis picture on a sunset.  It ruins what was so beautiful naturally.  I can handle smaller, strategically located tattoos that are professionally done and attractive enough.  But I'd rather the model had none at all.

Nov 13 20 04:09 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

TJ Photo wrote:
I happened to see this thread and thought I should leave a response.  I don't believe in using any kind of cover makeup for tattoos unless they're very small and easy to cover.  In my experience--going back many years, before I stopped even trying to have a makeup artist cover the tattoo area--there is NO option that works that well on most tattoos.  Products like Dermablend don't usually obscure the entire tattoo, and they usually end up making a different color messy spot larger than the tattoo being covered. It's very difficult to match the skin color and also obscure various colors in a tattoo.  So it's a waste of time, and you end up seeing the tattoo through the makeup even more in the digital image than you could see by eye at the time of shooting.

My advice is to forget about trying to cover a tattoo.  Either don't hire the model, or if the model has the tattoo in a somewhat strategic spot, avoid the shooting angle that reveals the tattoo. But the best approach of all is to use Photoshop to take out the tattoo after the fact.   It's easier, cheaper and cleaner to remove with the Patch tool, Healing Brush and maybe the Clone tool, depending on what version you have.  I've used that for many years as the way to remove not just unwanted tattoos but lots of other skin issues. 

I know I'm probably in a minority now, but I dislike the fact that almost every model these days has at least one or two tattoos.  It's usually like hanging a velvet Elvis picture on a sunset.  It ruins what was so beautiful naturally.  I can handle smaller, strategically located tattoos that are professionally done and attractive enough.  But I'd rather the model had none at all.

Yes agreed. I was asking for the small tats, a spot cover. I will not bother shooting someone with prominent obvious ink. It’s just about the pesky little ones on someone who is mainly without tats.
I don’t want them in my photos so my first thing is not to get involved in the first place. I also shoot film and do not do post digital editing stuff and I would not waste my time on them even if I did shoot digital.

Nov 16 20 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

TJ Photo wrote:
It's usually like hanging a velvet Elvis picture on a sunset .

Someone here once described many models' tattoo choices as looking like refrigerator-magnets splashed around on their body.

I frequent a nearby clothing-optional beach here, and have seen many VERY puzzling and/or ugly tattoos on the young women there. There so often seems to be little rhyme or reason involved in their choices, and not much in the way of any aesthetic sensibility either. And to think they will have them for their entire life. Yow!

Yes, post-work is the only real answer, and even then it can be very difficult (for me) to pull off.
That said, I do like photographing models with well-considered tattoos, even in a fine-art shoot.

Dec 01 20 01:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Dinair  air brush make up has a line just for covering tattoos , looks amazing and doesnt rub off on clothing ,,,,,its called colair extreme.  , i use it on alot of films and TV shows , colors are incredibly natural and you dont have to nuetralize or anything , just spray and go .... hope that helps

on a side note ,,,,,,,,,,interesting that No other makeup artist replied ,,,,,,,, are there any on here anymore ?

Dec 13 20 07:00 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

TheMakeupMan wrote:
Dinair  air brush make up has a line just for covering tattoos , looks amazing and doesnt rub off on clothing ,,,,,its called colair extreme.  , i use it on alot of films and TV shows , colors are incredibly natural and you dont have to nuetralize or anything , just spray and go .... hope that helps

on a side note ,,,,,,,,,,interesting that No other makeup artist replied ,,,,,,,, are there any on here anymore ?

Thank you for this. I searched the product and even watched some you tube on it. Interesting but it’s a professional procedure more for someone like you who work professionally as a make up artist. But I appreciate your input.
I don’t check back on this thread since posts are very rare.

Dec 30 20 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

GianCarlo Images wrote:
I realize the best makeup work is done by a good professional makeup artist. But often as a photographer that does not want tattoos in his photographs it would be nice if I was able to cover those small tats on someone I want to photograph. Are there any suggestions on what makeup products a guy like me could have on hand for covering these small tattoos? Everyone is going to have different skin tone so trying to keep a hundred different tints is not feasible. Any suggestions for what products to use are appreciated.

The best cover for me is clothing or posing to avoid capture. As a model I've not had luck with derma blend or anything else to cover them for myself.

Jan 03 21 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

TheMakeupMan wrote:

Amazingly positive news.

Jan 03 21 01:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

dinair , colair extrême is amazing for covering tattoos ,  you dont need to nuetralizer or anything prior ,,,,,,,,its only thing is if you want sweat on the model use water ,,,,,any oil based product can break it down but it covers like a dream ,,,,its all we use on the show All American

opps , i just saw I already anwsered lol

Feb 23 21 08:49 am Link