Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Body Safe Paint.

Photographer

AprilThisWay

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Hello, I'm looking for a body safe paint (not airbrush body paint, but like spray paint I could use on a human)

What brands are out there?
What am I looking for in the ingredients to ensure something is safe to use?

Thanks I advance for all the help. I want to keep my models safe, first and foremost.

Aug 24 20 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I can't imagine ANY paint that would be used to paint furniture, cars, walls, etc. that would be entirely safe to use on a human body.  Even small amounts of inhaled paint fumes, such as one might experience painting a room or a car, would not kill you, and they can make you very uncomfortable and sometimes leave lasting harmful effects behind to plague you, potentially for the rest of your life.  Painting a human body can only maximize these effects.  It be worth your while to Google 'risks of paint on the human body" and "https://www.poison.org/articles/2013-dec/paints-for-indoor-use"

Even latex based body paint and stage makeup can carry serious health risks if the person being painted is allergic to latex.

.+
I'm curious; why are you averse to using products for projects for which they were never designed when there is such a large pallette of appropriate products from which to select?

Aug 26 20 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

AprilThisWay

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I'm curious; why are you averse to using products for projects for which they were never designed when there is such a large pallette of appropriate products from which to select?

I'm asking precisely what products are intended for this purpose.
There has to be paints that are designed for this, there must be!

Aug 27 20 11:28 am Link

Photographer

AprilThisWay

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

If there are finger paints designed for kids to safely play with and potentially eat, there must be some kind of paint that is safe to put on the body.

Aug 27 20 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

It would seem like you could find some instructional videos online.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCCP0r … 99npQyBhRw

https://youtu.be/nLymrXm-7C0

A few years ago I had found some companies which sold paint (make up type) for this purpose. It just took a few google searches.

Aug 27 20 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

epsilon images

Bellevue, Washington, US

I buy my supplies from https://www.fxsupply.com/
I use ben nye and mehron products -- both are pretty good and I (almost) never spray, I use brushes instead.

Aug 27 20 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

AprilThisWay wrote:

I'm asking precisely what products are intended for this purpose.
There has to be paints that are designed for this, there must be!

Ah!  There are dozens (probably hundreds) of "safe" products,  Most paint manufacturers also make such products, which may be called "Face Paint", "Body Paint" (which is likely to include auto body paint in internet searches) or "Theatrical  Makeup".  Whatever the product is called, safety is a relative term and at least partially dependent on the reactions of the person on whose body it is being applied, so always read the directions carefully.

This search that might be of some help:  "paints safe for use on the human body"  Be sure to at least skim the cautionary articles included in the list.

Aug 28 20 09:23 am Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

Really you can spray airbrush makeup in pump bottle format. There is a finesse to it but doable.
For an aerosol depending how much skin you plan to cover one can use colored hair sprays safely.
Always mask your model with any types of sprays.
Best advice hire or collaborate with a body painter, or makes it so much easier for photographers and models. There are some really goo body painters in your area. Also ProAiir is in your not too far from you.  I sell lots of ProAiir to photographers……still look to trade with a good body painting artist.

Jul 26 21 10:40 pm Link