Forums > Critique > Another outdoor flash test. Feedback appreciated.

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi all,
So I am still messing around with my Godox AD400Pro and getting reacquainted with outdoor flash. Still going to the same beach since it's never crowded. Still harassing my friend into being my test subject lol. Just wondering what you all think of the lighting. To say this was tough to shoot would be an understatement. I'll talk more about that later.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200721/13/5f17544990343_m.jpg

UPDATE: Here is the original if this helps in any way

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200723/14/5f19fe357c892_m.jpg

UPDATE: MORE INFO ABOUT THE ACTUAL SHOOT

Ok so I wanted to freeze the water and show some of the background without having it way too in focus. To do that I used HSS on my Godox AD400Pro, and I set my camera to ISO 400, F5.6, at 1/1600. I could've messed with those settings a bit more but I wasn't in the mood. I'll explain below.

In total I went to the beach with 3 friends (including Melissa the model). One of them passed out and the other was sitting there on her phone. I had a light stand, a 36" octobox and a reflector. The one friend that was awake did not want to help me at all because the sun was too bright. So she watched Melissa and I suffer instead lol. The wind kept rotating the octobox because the screws on the light stand didn't want to tighten enough. As a result, I quickly realized that there was no way I could hold the reflector and the camera while keeping the octobox from rotating on my own so I ditched the reflector. However, the octobox situation was still a disaster. For this shot I was on the ground on my left side, the light was on the right of the image, and I had my right left up trying to use it to keep the octobox from rotating. After like 30 minutes of this, and dealing with my blood boiling because my friend wouldn't help us, I couldn't take it anymore and I called our testing a wrap.

When I went home I saw this image and I liked the lighting because it looks bright and happy but as usual I like hearing what people have to say. I wanted to not mention all of this because it makes things come across as a bit negative and I wanted to see just from looking at the image if it was eye catching to others on how it looks alone.

Jul 21 20 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

YAJHILPHOTO wrote:
Hi all,
So I am still messing around with my Godox AD400Pro and getting reacquainted with outdoor flash. Still going to the same beach since it's never crowded. Still harassing my friend into being my test subject lol. Just wondering what you all think of the lighting. To say this was tough to shoot would be an understatement. I'll talk more about that later.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200721/13/5f17544990343_m.jpg

Are you also using reflectors Mr. Y?  I do a lot of outdoor shooting, pretty much natural light exclusively, and sometimes (rarely) with reflectors  .  .  .  I know your main focus is fashion, and the image quality you're after is much different than the images I'm after (the look I'm after is retro 60's and 70's, so the resolution and DOF is decidedly more primitive), just seems you may need a little more light in her face and hair to pull up just a touch more detail, dark hair can be quite the challenge in direct sun, the balance between getting what you want in her face, and still grabbing detail in her hair can be daunting  .  .  .

SOS

Jul 22 20 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

its a tad bright for my liking

Jul 22 20 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

pbdimages

Woodland Hills, California, US

From applying what little bit I know about decoding the lighting setup from shadows and catchlights, it looks like you have:  Harsh midday sunlight from above, and the strobe flash either straight on or slightly to right of camera.  What shutter speed did you use?  If you have HSS it would definitely help in this situation.  Also I would have used a reflector on the ground.

Jul 23 20 10:40 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

More information would be helpful to provide effective feedback, probably the least import information is the brand and model of flash ( it does help )
ISO, Shutter speed, F stop, ambient exposure and flash strength, camera mode
Type of reflector, modifier( type and size), filters ( on camera or flash)
Location of light, distance,  height and locations z

Most important IMO is the look you are desiring.

IMO I think it is too bright and there is not much difference between the subject and the BG in terms of brightness and that I feel is one of the main reasons to use lighting on an outdoor shoot. Looks like on camera fill flash set too bright.

Jul 23 20 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I don't want to say too much yet because I want people to say if they like how she is lit or not. So some of you are saying she is too bright? You would have wanted her to be less lit? Would she stand out as much if she was more shaded?

BTW, just posted the unretouched version in the original post in case that helps in any way.

Jul 23 20 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I like it.

One vote for not bright enough.
My vote for I like it.
Three votes for too bright.

So pay your money and take your choice.
Keep in mind that most don't want to judge your image on its own, they need the technical details first.

Jul 23 20 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Mark Salo wrote:
I like it.

One vote for not bright enough.
My vote for I like it.
Three votes for too bright.

So pay your money and take your choice.
Keep in mind that most don't want to judge your image on its own, they need the technical details first.

Posted all the info above :-)

Jul 23 20 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

YAJHILPHOTO wrote:

Posted all the info above :-)

That's exactly my point.

Jul 23 20 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

YAJHILPHOTO wrote:
I don't want to say too much yet because I want people to say if they like how she is lit or not. So some of you are saying she is too bright? You would have wanted her to be less lit? Would she stand out as much if she was more shaded?

BTW, just posted the unretouched version in the original post in case that helps in any way.

What were YOU trying to accomplish?   Did You succeed?

Judging by Her shadow the lighting conditions were at their worst.

The horizon is slightly off kilter and I would have killed the ambient a little more, but that's Me.

* adding to an original post is a little confusing.

Jul 23 20 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
What were YOU trying to accomplish?   Did You succeed?

Judging by Her shadow the lighting conditions were at their worst.

The horizon is slightly off kilter and I would have killed the ambient a little more, but that's Me.

* adding to an original post is a little confusing.

Hi there! Ok so I have to disagree and say that the horizon is not off kilter. When I edited it I made sure of that.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200723/19/5f1a4578ec043_m.jpg

The sun was at it's worst. I wanna say it was like 2pm (or so?). Anyway, my goal was to expose the background well and make sure she was lit enough so that she popped. That and I wanted to freeze the water lol. I guess when you put it that way I did accomplish what I wanted with what I had at the time given the obstacles.

And sorry about the updates above, I just know that if I don't make things clear in my original post some people will not read my replies and miss info. Maybe I should just give all the info upfront next time. Thanks for the input.

Jul 23 20 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

LnN Studio wrote:
More information would be helpful to provide effective feedback, probably the least import information is the brand and model of flash ( it does help )
ISO, Shutter speed, F stop, ambient exposure and flash strength, camera mode
Type of reflector, modifier( type and size), filters ( on camera or flash)
Location of light, distance,  height and locations z

Most important IMO is the look you are desiring.

IMO I think it is too bright and there is not much difference between the subject and the BG in terms of brightness and that I feel is one of the main reasons to use lighting on an outdoor shoot. Looks like on camera fill flash set too bright.

Thanks! So when you shoot you want the background brighter than the subject? I felt a deep need to make her as bright as the background because in my mind that would make things blend more. I'm still testing out what my style is though when it comes to outdoor flash.

Jul 23 20 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

pbdimages wrote:
From applying what little bit I know about decoding the lighting setup from shadows and catchlights, it looks like you have:  Harsh midday sunlight from above, and the strobe flash either straight on or slightly to right of camera.  What shutter speed did you use?  If you have HSS it would definitely help in this situation.  Also I would have used a reflector on the ground.

Updated the original post to add more info. Thanks for the feedback!

Jul 23 20 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
its a tad bright for my liking

Her, the background or the entire picture? Do you prefer the unretouched version?

Jul 23 20 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

sospix wrote:
Are you also using reflectors Mr. Y?  I do a lot of outdoor shooting, pretty much natural light exclusively, and sometimes (rarely) with reflectors  .  .  .  I know your main focus is fashion, and the image quality you're after is much different than the images I'm after (the look I'm after is retro 60's and 70's, so the resolution and DOF is decidedly more primitive), just seems you may need a little more light in her face and hair to pull up just a touch more detail, dark hair can be quite the challenge in direct sun, the balance between getting what you want in her face, and still grabbing detail in her hair can be daunting  .  .  .

SOS

Updated the original post. Now you shall know why I didn't use one hahaha. Thank you.

Jul 23 20 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

I'm late.  I like it.  Brightness looks good.  Too much reflection in the eyes though, I think.  They don't look right to me.

Jul 24 20 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

YAJHILPHOTO wrote:

Thanks! So when you shoot you want the background brighter than the subject? I felt a deep need to make her as bright as the background because in my mind that would make things blend more. I'm still testing out what my style is though when it comes to outdoor flash.

NO, just the opposite. IMO the model should be around a stop brighter than the BG. Set exposure for the BG and then adjust the flash to provide about 34 to 1 1/2 stop brighter .  Manual exp IMO works best camera set for the Flash or TTL

Jul 25 20 09:15 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
I'm late.  I like it.  Brightness looks good.  Too much reflection in the eyes though, I think.  They don't look right to me.

Can you explain, if you have the time of course. I only see one light reflection in each eye and nothing else.

Jul 25 20 11:16 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

LnN Studio wrote:
NO, just the opposite. IMO the model should be around a stop brighter than the BG. Set exposure for the BG and then adjust the flash to provide about 34 to 1 1/2 stop brighter .  Manual exp IMO works best camera set for the Flash or TTL

Ah so a darker background. I've done that sometimes for dramatic effect or because I want to make sure something doesn't get lost. I didn't do it here because I guess I thought the background showed enough. Next time i will try a few variations so I can see what my true preference is. Thanks!

Jul 25 20 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

YAJHILPHOTO wrote:

Can you explain, if you have the time of course. I only see one light reflection in each eye and nothing else.

There is something about the light in the eyes that doesn't look right.  I looked at the original, and it looks better.  I think it looks OK.  Maybe you dodged the irises, but this isn't a good pic for that.

Jul 29 20 12:55 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
There is something about the light in the eyes that doesn't look right.  I looked at the original, and it looks better.  I think it looks OK.  Maybe you dodged the irises, but this isn't a good pic for that.

Thanks! Gotcha :-)

Thank you for taking the time!

Jul 29 20 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I'm happy enough with your lighting setup ....

Jul 29 20 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

YAJHILPHOTO wrote:
[snip]

I set my camera to ISO 400, F5.6, at 1/1600

Dumb question of the day but with so much available light why shoot at ISO 400? 

I don't get it.

Jul 30 20 06:23 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Jul 30 20 07:26 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Dumb question of the day but with so much available light why shoot at ISO 400? 

I don't get it.

I wanted to freeze the water, cause I thought I might get some cool splash action or water shapes, so I wanted to be over 1/1000 just in case. It was maybe a tad overkill to be at 1/1600. Usually I don't care as long as I'm at or under ISO 400. Obviously less than 400 is ideal but for me it depends on the situation.

Jul 30 20 08:57 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Camera Buff wrote:
IMHO:
I'm happy enough with your lighting setup. However, you set yourself a difficult task shooting in such strong sunlight and on a beach. I always aim to shoot portraits on the beach during the golden hours, around sun-up and sun-down. During the brighter/hotter parts of the day it usually gets too windy, hot and UV dangerous out in the open.

That said, you've made a pretty good fist of things.

Thanks! Yeah my friends and I always get to the beach after 1pm because none of them want to wake up early. And often one of them works the next day or starts getting hungry so we really don't stay past 6:30pm much. So as soon as we get to the beach I'm like let's take test pictures asap and get this over with so I can enjoy the little time we have here. It's an anxiety enducing experience lol.

Jul 30 20 09:02 am Link