Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Your Diverse Eclectic Artistic Rating (DEAR)

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Hey, this is just for fun, and IMO, but ask for it and I will give you a rating from 1 to ten, not just on how great your photos look, but on the diversity of your work.  I realize that many photographers and models strive for a "signature style", and may have that as an excuse for not getting a high rating,  That's your choice.  Depending on your creativity, you may do better.
Generally, a high DEAR will mean that your portfolio is interesting from an art perspective.  You cover several genres, your work evokes various feelings in the viewer,  Maybe some humor, some horror, some amazement, etc.
I'll look at your "Credited Photos" list if you have one.  Originality, interest, and variety will be key factors.

I promise to get back to this periodically, and mark it as "FINISHED" when I'm done with it.

Ratings so far: (I'll provide a link for and DEAR > 5.0)
< 3.0 (4)
5.1 https://www.modelmayhem.com/4446970
6.5 https://www.modelmayhem.com/tdsimages
7.5 https://www.modelmayhem.com/keithdewey3
8.1 https://www.modelmayhem.com/1739778

Currently:  OPEN

Aug 17 19 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Ok!

Aug 17 19 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
I'll look at your credited photos.  Originality and variety will be key factors.

I wanna play, but...
I've got photos from 4 models who were on MM.
2 of them are long since gone.
The other 2 last logged in in 2010 and 2013.

All the rest of my photos are from models who've never been on MM.
So, not credited...

Aug 17 19 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Ok!

I looked at over 300 of your pics.  You have been honing a craft.
You are one who doesn't really strive for diversity.  "Diversity" is probably not in your best interest.
Some model's portfolios show an amazing amount of diversity.  Much of that's because they have input from a lot of different photographers.  Partially, it's their own creative contribution.
When I look at your photos, I have to give the model the benefit of the doubt.  She (typically she) contributed something creative, and you did the rest.
I only see a few photos where I think, "Now, this is wildly different!".Again, it's probably not your thing for good reason.
Perhaps you might be considered diversified withing the narrow band of your craft.
DEAR 3.0  (owing a lot to your huge volume of work)

Aug 18 19 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I wanna play, but...
I've got photos from 4 models who were on MM.
2 of them are long since gone.
The other 2 last logged in in 2010 and 2013.

All the rest of my photos are from models who've never been on MM.
So, not credited...

I'm not going to focus on if you have your credits straight.
I see among your photos shots that appear to be snapshots, shots that are not model photography. 
I don't penalize that content, I just ignore it.
Then you have some photos that you have done some type of outrageous, photoshoppy manipulation.  Much of that I am going to ignore.
There just isn't a lot left.
You DO have some great looking art that you could print in large format and hang on a wall.
You DO have some artistic diversity.
After careful consideration, DEAR 2.1 (Revised)

Edit:  Oh!  Now I understand the miscommunication!  "Credited Photos" is a list that can be accesses from your portfolio if you have it enabled.

Aug 18 19 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

TDSImages

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Me please?

Sep 02 19 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

TDSImages wrote:
Me please?

Hey, you've got some great diversity!   You have a significant art component to your work.
Your artistic content seems to have improved a lot, between many older and newer pics.
You have some marvelous stuff.  However, your artistic content has room to grow, and I'm sure you are going to go even more diverse. 
DEAR: 6.5

Sep 03 19 12:26 am Link

Photographer

TDSImages

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:

Hey, you've got some great diversity!   You have a significant art component to your work.
Your artistic content seems to have improved a lot, between many older and newer pics.
You have some marvelous stuff.  However, your artistic content has room to grow, and I'm sure you are going to go even more diverse. 
DEAR: 6.5

Thank you for your encouragement, I really appreciate it!

Sep 03 19 06:35 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'd love to play........please give me your thoughts smile

Sep 07 19 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Pixel Fist

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Sep 07 19 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

MatureModelMM wrote:
I'd love to play........please give me your thoughts smile

You have several genres represented, which right away helps a lot.  I see some photos that clearly have artistic content.  Others are practically duplicate efforts and don't contribute to your score.  Then you have the sketches and paintings.  You have clearly contributed a collaborative attitude and sought-out variety.  Equal, if not more artistic contribution is owed to your painters relative to your photographers.
DEAR 4.4

Sep 07 19 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Please do.

Sep 08 19 03:22 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Please do.

You are also one who hones your craft.  'Not a lot of variety; limited in genre, but your work looks professional with a few little inexplicable things here and there.   I looked at your credited pics.  'Not much new there.  Mostly what I'm finding are full- or 3/4-length shots of female models pretty-much centered in frame.  I see some gel, some fan, changes of background.  You get a prop in here and there - a sucker, a baseball bat, a chair, a partition.  That helps your composition.  Good mixes of lighting. 95% the same perspective though.  It looks like you could benefit to devote a couple slots something new. The "rabbit" shot  was a step in that direction.   
DEAR 4.8

Sep 08 19 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
DEAR 4.8

Thank You,  exactly what I needed to hear.

Sep 09 19 09:29 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:

You have several genres represented, which right away helps a lot.  I see some photos that clearly have artistic content.  Others are practically duplicate efforts and don't contribute to your score.  Then you have the sketches and paintings.  You have clearly contributed a collaborative attitude and sought-out variety.  Equal, if not more artistic contribution is owed to your painters relative to your photographers.
DEAR 4.4

Thank you so much!  I have tried over the past 30+ years to pose in many different genres, many of the photographers and artists were students, beginners, or relatively new to working with naked models. I still want to try a few more new things.

Sep 10 19 06:43 am Link

Photographer

BHenz Photography

Middletown, Ohio, US

I haven't been too active on MM recently, but this sounds like an interesting exercise. 

Please share your DEAR rating of my work smile

Sep 15 19 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

BHenz Photography wrote:
I haven't been too active on MM recently, but this sounds like an interesting exercise. 

Please share your DEAR rating of my work smile

Wow!  You are a talent!  For the most part, your photos are different and interesting.  Your compositions are great.   You have some unique pieces.  You have fabulous models!  You add props in your compositions fairly often.
  I think you could go a little further if you aim to hit the wall of an art gallery.  You have mad skills in lighting.  Light and shadow.  Textures.  I could imagine your work crossing into the "Dutch Masters" area.  What if you had a huge wall?  How would that change things?  I really think you could go further into true fine art.   There are plenty of other styles to explore. 
DEAR 8.1 (Revised)

Sep 25 19 03:15 am Link

Model

Robyn Leslie

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I am a model. Love to know my DEAR rating

Sep 25 19 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Robyn Leslie wrote:
I am a model. Love to know my DEAR rating

This rating has a lot to do with contributions in a lot of genres.  It has to with novelty; things that are just interesting and you might want to put on a wall.  For you. I see a few genres.  I see some things that are interesting.  I'll comment on my favorite. 
DEAR 1.6

Sep 27 19 01:20 am Link

Photographer

TimsMalePhotography

Lakewood, Colorado, US

Please, I would love to hear your comments on my portfolio. Thank you in advance for your time. And effort.  What is my score?  TIM

Oct 08 19 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

TimsPhotography wrote:
Please, I would love to hear your comments on my portfolio. Thank you in advance for your time. And effort.  What is my score?  TIM

I see minor variations in perspective, props, backgrounds, lighting.  I notice generally low dynamic range, which is probably something that you should really look at.  You could shoot something outdoors, indoors with window light.  Work on compositions - you hit a good one here and there, but you could easily do better.  Add color!
DEAR 1.9

Oct 17 19 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

TimsMalePhotography

Lakewood, Colorado, US

Love the idea of color. Do to my disability, studio shoots is all can really do. I hate window shoots so trendy. Lol. Thank you for taking DEAR score. Have a great day!

Oct 18 19 07:53 am Link

Photographer

HeartSpur

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

Would love a critique!

Nov 26 19 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Quentin Studios wrote:
Would love a critique!

'Very nice for not having shot for long.  I see a lot of differing techniques DOFs and perspectives and a grasp of making several types of shots.  It looks like you could use reflectors for some commercial shots imho.  If you agree, great.  That won't affect this score.  Your compositions look great in some cases and too simple in others.  Again, 'not much effect on score.  The model lacing her boots on her back is a plus, the airborne fellow jumping across some kind of sculpture is a plus.  I know you are honing your craft.  You "fun stuff"  contributes more than your commercial stuff for this score.
DEAR 5.1

Nov 27 19 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

I’d love to hear my rating.  Thank you!

Nov 28 19 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

KeithD3 wrote:
I’d love to hear my rating.  Thank you!

Wow!  'Very diverse!  You go a lot of places.  'Lots of great concepts and techniques.  'Good compositions.  I saw some obvious chiaroscuro. Your credited photos show outstanding diversity.  Quite often the credited photos won't show much diversity.  One thing that you don't have much of are pieces that tell a story and/or produce a feeling.  Examples might show someone eating razor blades, or falling backwards off a cliff, or being hit by a splash, or holding a melting ice cream cone.  You have a photo of a model with a lollipop, but she isn't licking it.  You DO have a shot of someone biting a string of pearls.  You have a couple credited shots of a pair of models that come close.  You have a credited shot looking through a keyhole at an aware model.  This was a great opportunity to tell a story.  What if the shot  showed something that we wouldn't expect, or shouldn't see that would evoke a feeling?  Overall, really interesting though.
DEAR 7.5

Dec 01 19 03:36 am Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

Thank you very much for your feedback and for your suggestions!  I appreciate both very much and especially your suggestions.  I’m always looking for ways to expand my vision and test my technical abilities.  Your suggestions give me a good place to start.

Keith

Dec 01 19 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

The activity has been pretty slow lately, but this has been a productive thread, and I hope to be giving more ratings.

Jan 10 20 01:48 am Link

Photographer

HeartSpur

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

Fist Full of Ish wrote:

'Very nice for not having shot for long.  I see a lot of differing techniques DOFs and perspectives and a grasp of making several types of shots.  It looks like you could use reflectors for some commercial shots imho.  If you agree, great.  That won't affect this score.  Your compositions look great in some cases and too simple in others.  Again, 'not much effect on score.  The model lacing her boots on her back is a plus, the airborne fellow jumping across some kind of sculpture is a plus.  I know you are honing your craft.  You "fun stuff"  contributes more than your commercial stuff for this score.
DEAR 5.1

Thank you for taking the time to critique my portfolio! That's more in-depth than I expected.

I agree that I could be using more gear for the commercial shots. To be honest they're all just done by me alone, so it's a bit hard to shoot and hold a reflector out at the same time. They technically aren't "commercial", but out of all my photos, they remind me the most of commercial photography.

Hope you get more takers soon!

Jan 10 20 05:24 am Link

Model

Andiel

Reading, England, United Kingdom

I’m interested!

Feb 03 20 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Andiel wrote:
I’m interested!

Andiel!  Thank you for giving it a try!

This is about diversity, and although I see some, it just isn't at high level.  I think from now on, I'm just going to have a category of < 3.
You list genres including Art, Dance, Fashion, Hair/Makeup, Lifestyle, Parts Modeling, Performance Artist, Pinup, and Runway.   You mentioned ballet and yoga in your profile.   If you had good examples of each of these, you'd have a high score.  What do you do as a performance artist?  If it is singing, hey, you can get those shots.  One of the first shoots I did included some simulated stage performance, with the smoke and the glare of stage lights and a microphone.

You can look at the links I've posted for scores greater than 5.0 in the initial post.  Some have over 300 photos in their portfolios, and that helps, of course.  I also look a credited photos (a link is in most portfolios.  Your's has a link, but it's empty.).    Those are all photographers, but some models also have some very diverse portfolios. 

Here is my fav: https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140316/09/5325d1830594a_m.jpg

Anyway, DEAR < 3.0

Feb 08 20 11:24 pm Link