Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Waterproof body paint recommendations

Photographer

B Jenkins Photography

Vacaville, California, US

I’m looking for a body paint or substitute that is”waterproof “ while semi submerged in water or milk specially long enough for a shoot, preferably glossy and easy cleanup.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bruce

Aug 12 19 01:07 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

An alcohol based airbrush makeup such as Endura by EBA would be waterproof, but not glossy. If you used a glassy makeup sealer on it you could get the gloss, but if you apply enough for high gloss you will likely also get cracking before long.

Sep 30 19 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Funny, I clicked on this looking for some tips myself, but am now finding myself being the tipper . . .

I used acrylics for face-painting and some body-painting for years. It seems to hold up well –to perspiration at least– for many hours, and it's likely to do the same with full-on submersion. Once it's dried, its pretty impervious to water, and also has some gloss to it.

In later years I began having qualms about the ingredients and possible toxicity, so maybe it's best to stay away from cadmium, etc. but I never had any complaints from anyone, even after they'd worn the paints for hours afterwards. My guess would be that, once dried (in just a few minutes), it would likely not transmit much toxicity through the skin anyway, since it is essentially all bound together in a plastic that sits ion the surface. I would shy away from a complete covering of the skin however, and wash it off as soon as the shoot is completed.

Hope this helps.

Oct 09 19 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Modelphilia wrote:
Funny, I clicked on this looking for some tips myself, but am now finding myself being the tipper . . .

I used acrylics for face-painting and some body-painting for years. It seems to hold up well –to perspiration at least– for many hours, and it's likely to do the same with full-on submersion. Once it's dried, its pretty impervious to water, and also has some gloss to it.

In later years I began having qualms about the ingredients and possible toxicity, so maybe it's best to stay away from cadmium, etc. but I never had any complaints from anyone, even after they'd worn the paints for hours afterwards. My guess would be that, once dried (in just a few minutes), it would likely not transmit much toxicity through the skin anyway, since it is essentially all bound together in a plastic that sits ion the surface. I would shy away from a complete covering of the skin however, and wash it off as soon as the shoot is completed.

Hope this helps.

TERRIBLE AND DANGEROUS ADVICE
NEVER use Acrylics on the face or body.  NEVER!!

I don't know of ANY legitimate body painter that would even THINK of using acrylics all... not even for a dot.
You should ONLY use products that are specially made for body painting.
https://www.worldsafety2018.org/what-pa … -for-skin/
-----------------------------------------

In addition, all acrylic paint has a warning on the label that states it's not safe on skin with instructions on how to remove it if it does get on the skin.  All a model has to do is complain that their skin itches and it can open up a easy-to-win lawsuit for the plaintiff and possible criminal charges if the artist knows that the paint is hazardous.

Oct 10 19 08:35 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
An alcohol based airbrush makeup such as Endura by EBA would be waterproof, but not glossy. If you used a glassy makeup sealer on it you could get the gloss, but if you apply enough for high gloss you will likely also get cracking before long.

This is pretty much what our body paint artists do in similar circumstances to what the OP has described.  We also send the client away with a 'goody bag' which includes lots of rubbing alcohol to clean the makeup off.

Oct 10 19 08:45 am Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

like a lot of other people, for the silver man images in my portfolio, I used Mehron silver powder and olive oil. the same principle could be used for other pigments. it would be water proof, but it is not easy to clean up.

Oct 14 19 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

Never use acrylic. 
Mehron body powder mixed with olive oil.  Nothing safe that I have heard of is going to hold up underwater for very long.  Acrylics are toxic to humans.  Use only paints designed for human use.  Period.

I have heard several horror stories about people putting their art before safety and none of them were pretty for those involved.

Oct 22 19 12:14 pm Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

Over all your best bet is to use airbrush makeup. IMO

Mehron metallic powders mixed with oil, baby or olive are movable and not really at all waterproof, the pigments are going to start lifting off in water. Now you have an oily, colored model and a shimmery  oily water too.

Airbrush - ProAiir and European Body Art Voda used to be called Vibe) will hold up pretty well underwater for a period unless you rub on the skin. Then it most likely is coming off to a point or altogether. I find both vary person to person in terms of staying power,

European Body Art Endura is the best bet. A few coats of their ProSeal or mine H2O Sealcreate a shine. They also have a matte seal.

Classic Brush - Kryolan makes a product for the glossy effect. Not sure it will hold up over alcohol based makeup as most any product like this will have in itself a high alcohol content and will remove the makeup underneath. And while you can seal most classic face/body paints to be moisture resistant making them water proof and glossy….they make not be your best bet.

ProAiir  Dips or EBA’s Encore or most alcohol activated makeups will be waterproof. ProAiir is not going to shine but Encore metallics will have a high shine, not a gloss.  But you may find the cost high if wanting to cover a lot of skin.

ProAiir Airbrush - Same as most water like. VODA  this hybrid will stay put underwater and some maybe come off due to abrasion. They do make a gloss effect.

PAX you can get the look you want with PAX however this product is best with practice and removal may be more that a model will want to endure for a single shoot.  Not a great starting off product with its learning curve.

Jul 26 21 11:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
TERRIBLE AND DANGEROUS ADVICE
NEVER use Acrylics on the face or body.  NEVER!!

I don't know of ANY legitimate body painter that would even THINK of using acrylics all... not even for a dot.
You should ONLY use products that are specially made for body painting.
https://www.worldsafety2018.org/what-pa … -for-skin/
-----------------------------------------

In addition, all acrylic paint has a warning on the label that states it's not safe on skin with instructions on how to remove it if it does get on the skin.  All a model has to do is complain that their skin itches and it can open up a easy-to-win lawsuit for the plaintiff and possible criminal charges if the artist knows that the paint is hazardous.

Not entirly true ,,,,,we use pax paint all the time in TV and Film although we dont cover the whole body ,,,,,, I mostly use pax when water is involved and it needs to last for a 10 hour day or longer

One of the most popular types of makeup used in special effects makeup is a product called PAX Paint.

PAX Paint was originally developed by Dick Smith when he needed a solution for makeup that doesn’t last. He needed an opaque paint that had lasting power, so he came up with the idea of mixing a 50/50 concoction of adhesive and acrylic paint.

Sep 08 21 06:41 pm Link