Forums > Model Colloquy > For Models...Appropriate way to contact...

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

As a new photographer (I've been on the other side for a while) primarily shooting boudoir, artistic nude, and pinup, I'm beginning to seek out models for projects that I want to start.  I'm very interested to hear from models what is an appropriate way to be contacted to determine your interest.  What type of message/communication would warrant at least a look and at least a response even if negative?  And inversely, what are some inappropriate ways of communication which would be a would get nothing but a quick delete. 

I'm trying to be as professional as possible and it is important to me to understand what are my best approaches in working with a model.

Thanks.

Aug 12 18 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I have found that I book most jobs in 3-5 messages/emails, if the communications go longer, they are just interested in chit chat & not shooting.

We need details in emails & inquiries, WITHOUT long rambling explanations.

We don't need an entire art history lesson, just a general idea of your concept.

"I need to know your limits, before I talk to you about the project" = delete

Here is an example of a well designed message/email:

Hi, I'm Spicy Peach
I'm doing a vintage stocking project & I need pin up models to shoot.
I will provide a selection of vintage stockings model needs to provide their own shoes.

YOUR REAL NAME: XXXX
PHONE NUMBER: XXXX
EMAIL: XXXX

STUDIO ADDRESS:XXXX    (I don't care if it is YOUR studio, rented studio, friends studio, your living room, an address lets me do my own research & shows me you have planned ahead)
DATE: XXXX  (If you don't have a date set, you can give me a date range, Month of Sept, Sundays.... Don't just leave it open.
TIME: 12-4 pm (again, get as close as you can, this is YOUR project, mornings, evenings, 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours...)
PAY: $$$$ (No need to say you're doing me a favor with your TFP, or pay rate, no need to apologize about the rate of pay, just put your numbers out there & let us decide)

Bonus:
If this is to be a long term or project that needs more than a few models, do a webpage about it with most of the info & photos! Then just link to your page, that makes research so much easier & I get to look at examples of your project, this also helps you with networking, if I enjoy working with you, I can refer other models to your project page for them to contact you to see if they are a good fit.

I've booked modeling jobs & photography jobs, they are pretty much the same.

Aug 12 18 09:40 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Optimal:

Hello (Model's name), I saw your portfolio while browsing the site and thought you might be a good fit for one of my projects.  The genre is _____ (Glamour, boudoir, figure nude, etc.) and the theme will center around _____ (use a few words to describe mood of images you are looking to create). For this project I will be compensating models with ____ (state TF or $$$). [If $, then state your budget. If no specific budget, request model's rates. If paying in images, list how many images you will be providing and turn around time.] I am located in ___ (state and town, plus particulars where shoot will take place), and my availability includes _____ (what days are you looking to shoot?). I anticipate this shoot will require _____ hours. Please let me know if you are interested in working together. Thanks, _____(your name).

Here is a made-up, fleshed out example:

"Hi Tina!
I saw your portfolio while browsing the site and thought you might be a good fit for one of my projects. The genre is figure nudes, and I hope to achieve a moody, black and white, old school film feel with these images. Compensation will be in images, and I provide between 5 and 7 edited images, ready to use, in 2 weeks after the shoot.  The shoot will take place in my home studio, and I am located WhereverTown, Michigan. We will be shooting for about two hours total. Let me know if you're interested and I look forward to scheduling something with you.
Thanks,
Tom Jones"

If you want to offer cash comp but have no specific budget, trade out the TF line for something like,
..."I will be compensating models with cash, to be paid after the release is signed, at the end of the 2 hour shoot. Please let me know your rates"....

If you want to offer cash comp and have a pre-planned budget, trade out whatever line for this:
..."I will be compensating models with $180 total, to be paid in cash after release is signed at the end of the two hour shoot...."

Aug 12 18 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Alexandra Vincent wrote:
Optimal:

This is great info!

Aug 12 18 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

Ionalynn wrote:
Bonus:
If this is to be a long term or project that needs more than a few models, do a webpage about it with most of the info & photos! Then just link to your page, that makes research so much easier & I get to look at examples of your project, this also helps you with networking, if I enjoy working with you, I can refer other models to your project page for them to contact you to see if they are a good fit..

Thank you so much for your reply.  All the information is well worth my consideration.  I hadn't thought about adding on going projects to my web page but will be updating ASAP.  it seams to definitely be a good way to start and have the information readily available to models who may be interested.

Aug 12 18 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

Alexandra Vincent wrote:
Optimal:

Hello (Model's name), I saw your portfolio while browsing the site and thought you might be a good fit for one of my projects.  The genre is _____ (Glamour, boudoir, figure nude, etc.) and the theme will center around _____ (use a few words to describe mood of images you are looking to create). For this project I will be compensating models with ____ (state TF or $$$). [If $, then state your budget. If no specific budget, request model's rates. If paying in images, list how many images you will be providing and turn around time.] I am located in ___ (state and town, plus particulars where shoot will take place), and my availability includes _____ (what days are you looking to shoot?). I anticipate this shoot will require _____ hours. Please let me know if you are interested in working together. Thanks, _____(your name).
"

Thanks so much for the response and examples.  Great information and will be definitely used.

Aug 12 18 11:12 am Link

Model

Harmony Modeling

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am a real stickler when it comes to photographers not wanting to give out their contact information. I understand that there are plenty of flaky (or scam) models (make up, hair, -- they're all somewhere).  However, if we're discussing a shoot, and it's been decided that we're going to work together. The least I'd like is your contact information... let it be an instagram account, an email address, etc -

I find myself more inclined to discuss working together if in their beginning message - I have the opportunity to preview their social media (professional) accounts (I prefer Instagram, personally) - because they gave me their information at the bottom of the message.

It also seems much more professional and less "You're hot. Let's shoot" wink

Harmony

Aug 12 18 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

Harmony Modeling wrote:
I am a real stickler when it comes to photographers not wanting to give out their contact information. I understand that there are plenty of flaky (or scam) models (make up, hair, -- they're all somewhere).  However, if we're discussing a shoot, and it's been decided that we're going to work together. The least I'd like is your contact information... let it be an instagram account, an email address, etc -

Harmony

Thanks.  The question have then is, at what point in communicating do you like to see contact info?  Initial message, after you show interest, after agreeing to a shoot?  I've got know problem with providing the info.  I have IG, FB, a photographer website and it would seem odd if a photographer would hold back on providing.  I want potential clients and hired models to see my work before committing.  So would this be what you are looking for as a signature?

David Lintz
Spicy Peach Photography
IG: Instagram.com/spicypeachphotography
FB: facebook.com/spicypeachphotography
WEB: www.spicypeachphotography.Com
Phone: 478-397-478-397-1829

Aug 12 18 12:37 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Non-optimal messages I have actually received, paraphrased:

"Will you reduce your model fee if I take you out to dinner afterwards?"
"I want to do a nude shoot. My wife doesn't know I shoot nudes and she will be home, so we have to be careful."
"Your a$$ is so big for a white girl. Wanna shoot?" (They used dollar signs to write the *ss.)
"I like to play with the models' hair. Most don't mind and actually find it relaxing."
"I promise I'm not a serial killer. Wanna see a pic of me? Haha." (They actually said "haha" at the end too.)
"Hey, sup? Wanna shoot?" (I asked what exactly they wanted to shoot, when, where, etc, and the response was, "What about Saturday?" That answered NONE of the critical questions.)

So as long as you're not saying any of  ^^this^^ stuff, you're really probably doing okay.

Aug 12 18 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

Alexandra Vincent wrote:
Non-optimal messages I have actually received, paraphrased:

"Will you reduce your model fee if I take you out to dinner afterwards?"
"I want to do a nude shoot. My wife doesn't know I shoot nudes and she will be home, so we have to be careful."
"Your a$$ is so big for a white girl. Wanna shoot?" (They used dollar signs to write the *ss.)
"I like to play with the models' hair. Most don't mind and actually find it relaxing."
"I promise I'm not a serial killer. Wanna see a pic of me? Haha." (They actually said "haha" at the end too.)
"Hey, sup? Wanna shoot?" (I asked what exactly they wanted to shoot, when, where, etc, and the response was, "What about Saturday?" That answered NONE of the critical questions.)

So as long as you're not saying any of  ^^this^^ stuff, you're really probably doing okay.

That's too funny.  It's hard to believe that those are real.  At least I can say my wife is my assistant so she does know I shoot nudes.

Aug 12 18 04:30 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Spicy Peach Photography wrote:
Thanks.  The question have then is, at what point in communicating do you like to see contact info?  Initial message, after you show interest, after agreeing to a shoot?  I've got know problem with providing the info.  I have IG, FB, a photographer website and it would seem odd if a photographer would hold back on providing.  I want potential clients and hired models to see my work before committing.  So would this be what you are looking for as a signature?

David Lintz
Spicy Peach Photography

I removed your contact info in case you decide you don't want it on a public, searchable forum.

When I was actively modeling, I learned very quickly that I did not consider a shoot booked or confirmed without an email address and phone number for those I was working with. There were many times I canceled shoots a week in advance because a photographer refused to give me a phone number. Sure, he had mine, but after being stuck in traffic because of an accident once for long enough that I missed my call time and being unable to reach the photographer while I sat and sat and sat (and no one bothered to call me), I learned my lesson. No phone and email, no shoot.

That said, getting it in the initial message is great, because it provides an instant way to start checking references. The info you provided looked perfect. Maybe add your email address as well.

Aug 13 18 07:11 am Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Spicy Peach Photography wrote:

That's too funny.  It's hard to believe that those are real.  At least I can say my wife is my assistant so she does know I shoot nudes.

Yea, it's funny... until you reply "no thanks" to one of those and suddenly you're an ugly bitch who doesn't know how to pose, you shouldn't be charging because you're just a cow-face wannabe, or maybe you should just die you rude bitch. Of course, if you don't reply, you risk those messages too. 'Cause that happens more than you'd think... hmm I'm sure if I dug through my messages I'd find you some real gems.

Aug 13 18 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

Rachel Jay wrote:

I removed your contact info in case you decide you don't want it on a public, searchable forum.

When I was actively modeling, I learned very quickly that I did not consider a shoot booked or confirmed without an email address and phone number for those I was working with. There were many times I canceled shoots a week in advance because a photographer refused to give me a phone number. Sure, he had mine, but after being stuck in traffic because of an accident once for long enough that I missed my call time and being unable to reach the photographer while I sat and sat and sat (and no one bothered to call me), I learned my lesson. No phone and email, no shoot.

That said, getting it in the initial message is great, because it provides an instant way to start checking references. The info you provided looked perfect. Maybe add your email address as well.

The responses I'm receiving from this post are very obviously coming from models  who treat their art very professionally.  And I'm very appreciative of all the input.  I art model, which was my backdoor into developing as a photographer.  I absolutely undestand the importance of professionalism and good communication.  In the art world there seems to be much more seriousness coming from both the model and artist end vs the photo world (I do consider it art but there's definitely a difference in approach by many, unfortunately).  As a developing photographer (artist) I truly want to be taken seriously and be considered m professional.  Input like yours is very appreciated and I thinK will help achieve my goals.  Thanks.

Aug 13 18 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Excellent stuff.

However most of the time, on my first contact, I have no clue what i want to do. I simply like the look of the model, and I want to know if they might be interested in working with me at some future date. I get that it is not the best way, but I like to have a pool of models that I can contact with an idea. Many times my idea is as concrete as mud. I just want to shoot, and lets play when you get in front of the camera.

On occasion, I am in a Noir mood or Hollywood Glam mood. And that at least is a start.

And as the model with cancellation if there is not enough contact information, ditto. Shit happens in the real world. I want you to let me know if you are going to be late, and vice-versa. I am starting a new policy that if we have not confirmed 24hrs ahead, then it is cancelled (for new to me models).

Aug 15 18 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

All these replies are great.  What I'm beginning to have reinforced is that even though this is a passion and love for most.  Creating images is work for all involved.  Thats a pretty simple concept when you are dealing with a paid shoot where there is an exchange of $$$ for a service.  But even  TFP operates under an agrred upon exchange,  I can definitely understand that if you were to recruit or apply for a job out in "the real world" you would never think of doing so without contact n information.  It shouldn't be any different in the photo profession. 

The responses to this thread have definitely shown me the importance of this approach.

Aug 15 18 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

Alexandra Vincent wrote:
Optimal:

I personally try to avoid the giant block of text, and split the info up.  With the big block of text I find it too easy for the reader to miss something.  I'd write the above like the following:

=====================

Hello (Model's name), I saw your portfolio while browsing the site and thought you might be a good fit for one of my projects. 

The genre is _____ (Glamour, boudoir, figure nude, etc.) and the theme will center around _____ (use a few words to describe mood of images you are looking to create).

Hair, makeup, and wardrobe are _____  (provided or by the model).

A release ______ (is or is not needed).

I anticipate this shoot will require _____ hours, and the compensation will be ____ (state TF or $$$). [If $, then state your budget. If no specific budget, request model's rates. If in images, list how many images you will be providing and turn around time.]

The shoot location will be ___ (state and town, plus particulars where shoot will take place),

I'm looking to schedule the shoot on_____ (what days are you looking to shoot?).

Please let me know if you are interested in working together. Thanks, _____(your name).

Aug 17 18 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Ionalynn wrote:
I have found that I book most jobs in 3-5 messages/emails, if the communications go longer, they are just interested in chit chat & not shooting.

We need details in emails & inquiries, WITHOUT long rambling explanations.

We don't need an entire art history lesson, just a general idea of your concept.

"I need to know your limits, before I talk to you about the project" = delete

Here is an example of a well designed message/email:

Hi, I'm Spicy Peach
I'm doing a vintage stocking project & I need pin up models to shoot.
I will provide a selection of vintage stockings model needs to provide their own shoes.

YOUR REAL NAME: XXXX
PHONE NUMBER: XXXX
EMAIL: XXXX

STUDIO ADDRESS:XXXX    (I don't care if it is YOUR studio, rented studio, friends studio, your living room, an address lets me do my own research & shows me you have planned ahead)
DATE: XXXX  (If you don't have a date set, you can give me a date range, Month of Sept, Sundays.... Don't just leave it open.
TIME: 12-4 pm (again, get as close as you can, this is YOUR project, mornings, evenings, 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours...)
PAY: $$$$ (No need to say you're doing me a favor with your TFP, or pay rate, no need to apologize about the rate of pay, just put your numbers out there & let us decide)

Bonus:
If this is to be a long term or project that needs more than a few models, do a webpage about it with most of the info & photos! Then just link to your page, that makes research so much easier & I get to look at examples of your project, this also helps you with networking, if I enjoy working with you, I can refer other models to your project page for them to contact you to see if they are a good fit.

I've booked modeling jobs & photography jobs, they are pretty much the same.

I really wish things could be as concise as what you have here.  But then again in all honesty, I wish models would respond to messages in the first place. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but just an overwhelming majority of the models I've run into here on MM, something that I wish would change, quickly.  But that's another situation.....  Great ideas, I'm glad that at least one model has a good head on their shoulders.

Aug 21 18 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I am aware that this post is addressed to models.......
But I must say that for me, my most successful way to make contact wit a potential model
was always to inquire about their posing fees and minimum time.
Sometime both negotiable.

Aug 23 18 03:40 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Alexandra Vincent wrote:
Optimal:

Here is a made-up, fleshed out example:

"Hi Tina!
I saw your portfolio while browsing the site and thought you might be a good fit for one of my projects. The genre is figure nudes, and I hope to achieve a moody, black and white, old school film feel with these images. Compensation will be in images, and I provide between 5 and 7 edited images, ready to use, in 2 weeks after the shoot.  The shoot will take place in my home studio, and I am located WhereverTown, Michigan. We will be shooting for about two hours total. Let me know if you're interested and I look forward to scheduling something with you.
Thanks,
Tom Jones"

If you want to offer cash comp but have no specific budget, trade out the TF line for something like,
..."I will be compensating models with cash, to be paid after the release is signed, at the end of the 2 hour shoot. Please let me know your rates"....

If you want to offer cash comp and have a pre-planned budget, trade out whatever line for this:
..."I will be compensating models with $180 total, to be paid in cash after release is signed at the end of the two hour shoot...."

Definitely this. I would love it if the requests I get were along these lines. MUCH easier for everyone when it's spelt out clearly, instead of constantly going back and forth for basic shoot information.

Dec 20 19 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In lieu of descriptions I find that a 3-image mood board conveys what I seek to shoot in a precise and concise manner (of course, there's also some basic information as others have pointed out).

Dec 20 19 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Arthur Ball Images

Port Republic, Maryland, US

Hey-
   Very useful thread for us newbies. One question: would you like suggested references or should we just let you do your own research?  I mostly ask because I have been working with a model/photographer/studio owner who has been teaching me studio lighting. She would know me better than any model I have previously worked with, but unless I offer it up there's no way a prospective model would know this.

Thanks!

Dec 24 19 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

Arthur Ball Images wrote:
Hey-
   Very useful thread for us newbies. One question: would you like suggested references or should we just let you do your own research?  I mostly ask because I have been working with a model/photographer/studio owner who has been teaching me studio lighting. She would know me better than any model I have previously worked with, but unless I offer it up there's no way a prospective model would know this.

Thanks!

Wonderful tip,  I try to always offer references when shooting with a new model.  Another thing I do is let the perspective model know that chaperones are always welcome and also encouraged.

Dec 24 19 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

Wandering Eyebubble wrote:
In lieu of descriptions I find that a 3-image mood board conveys what I seek to shoot in a precise and concise manner (of course, there's also some basic information as others have pointed out).

Thanks for the tip.  I'll definitely incorporate that in future shoots.

Dec 24 19 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Hey-

Thanks!

I tell models to contact any models in my portfolio for references. If you pick, seems you might only provide those that will give a glowing reference. Credit all MM models in you portfolio to make it easier for them to be contacted by other models. Clearly, any reference not a model or not on MM you would need to provide the contact info/pages.

Dec 25 19 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

Hey-

Thanks!

Usually when I write I tell them the possible concept for the shoot and ask for rates or explain if it's TFP and location or possibly location if I'm traveling. I tell them I have plenty of references and one of my last shoots wrote to the last 3 models I worked with on IG.

I do write that escorts were welcome and once a the girl thought I met escorts as in go with you on a date kind. I had to explain. smile

Good luck!

Jan 09 20 07:09 pm Link