Photographer

Specht Designs

Houston, Texas, US

Hi MM community,

I just created my MM profile and added my first few photos to my portfolio. I welcome honest feedback on my portfolio as I cannot improve my craft without working around photographers better than me. I am confident in my work, until I get to a photo shoot, then I feel like the wheels just fell off the car.

Please let me know how I can improve based on my portfolio. Thanks again!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/4235202/viewall

Nov 15 17 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Specht Designs wrote:
Peer Review...

Matt, while you work in the glamour genre I only shoot fashion/beauty so my ability to critique is limited to only beauty... Trust that this makes sense...

This is an enchanting beauty rendering of a charming talent....
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171115/11/5a0c8f853f483.jpg
Lovely color harmonies latent within...
And excellent floral accessorizing of Stephanie's hair style...
And while you claim to be a natural light shooter I find the back-lighting with sunlight and complimentary fill flash a masterful illumination scenario... beautiful done... 
My only issue is with the unnatural elongation of her arms owing to the refraction effective of the aqueous medium. Also the vignette is a tad strong i.e. looks added in post (or a very optically challenged lens). Moving forward typically less is more when it comes to vignette...

What could have been done to improve? Possibly hands on waistline or hips?
This could/would have allowed for a tighter vertical crop to better showcase her radiant smile and delightful facial features...

Specht Designs wrote:
I am confident in my work, until I get to a photo shoot, then I feel like the wheels just fell off the car. ...

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
“Courage is grace under pressure.”

Matt, consistent excellence comes with seasoned tenure... There are compelling reasons why Marines can dissemble/resemble their M4 in absolute darkness. Handle you kit until you no long think but do...  Your primary mission is to concentrate only on what is immediately in your viewfinder... Everything else needs to be at a reflex level... Experience is a brutal teacher here...

Best advice? Assist other commercial shooters in your market. In my humble estimation there is no better way to master your craft... This has been my path and I grow my skill set by orders of magnitude with each and every assisting gig...

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
I wish you well on your journey Matt

Nov 17 17 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Specht Designs

Houston, Texas, US

Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to craft a detailed response. Your photos are incredible and I appreciate your feedback. I do add too much vignetting in post-production, something I need to work on.

I have been diligently working on making my gear a reflex rather than a stress. I feel I am making progress on that portion, but it's all about practice, practice, and more practice.

Thanks again!
Matt

Nov 17 17 09:19 am Link