Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Hello newbie need Critique for retouching.

Retoucher

deeking

Gliwice, Śląskie, Poland

This is my first post here. Please help me to be better retoucher.

After/Before

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171001/01/59d0a75470284_m.jpg

Oct 02 17 06:20 am Link

Retoucher

Chris Keane

Tralee, Kerry, Ireland

Hi there!

You are off to a great start! You have done much better than many did at the start of their careers, including me
I noticed some small things that you can certainly improve on.

Her hair - What you have done is good. You took away fly-aways that made the picture look messy, however what you did not do was fill in or round off the point of each hair that you cut short. As such, the hair just ends randomly, and it is noticeable. Overall though, I like it.

Secondly, the lips on this particular model are important. I would use curve layers to highlight the entire face, then invert the layer, and paint white(on the layer mask of course) the parts of lips that the "light" is reflecting off. On male models, something similar is done to their muscles.

The model's skin was handled well, it is quite well balanced by you.

The things I pointed out are small details. This piece is good, and a customer would be pleased with this result. That is of course, just my opinion.

Oct 06 17 01:27 pm Link

Retoucher

deeking

Gliwice, Śląskie, Poland

Hi Chris

Thank you for your post. It means a lot of me when I start. Your tips are very handy for me.

Greets

Chris Keane wrote:
Hi there!

You are off to a great start! You have done much better than many did at the start of their careers, including me
I noticed some small things that you can certainly improve on.....

Oct 09 17 02:03 am Link

Retoucher

SDIMAGING

Columbus, Ohio, US

Like the first critique stated, you did a lot of things very well!

The eyes are very powerful in this image and they draw you in, so just try to encourage that focus and keep it centralized. You did a really nice job. I agree the hair wisps trailing off may be adjusted a bit so it doesn't feel like they disappear in thin air. I noticed a heavy magenta cast globally. Which is fine; I'd do a study bringing back the original BG color and a little less magenta in the flesh tones, it may help it may hurt. But, there isn't much else. Great job!

Oct 14 17 11:49 am Link