Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > I'n moving to NYC in January and need help!

Model

Doee

New York, New York, US

Hello out there ^-^
Like the title says I'm moving to NYC and I want to hear your tips and suggestions on how I would go about becoming a stylist. I've done a bit of research and I heard that interning and assisting for a working stylist is a way to go. But I would like to know more. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Dec 05 16 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Working as an intern might be a difficult position to get without previous experience.  I'm sure there are a lot of clothing designers that start out as stylists with photographers.  Students from FIT. 

Without seeing any examples of your styling in your portfolio, it's impossible to see your capabilities. 

When you get to NY, feel free to contact me.  I have some concepts and will be looking for stylists who can think out of the box and collaborate with me (TF) on some photoshoots.  Its a good way to build your portfolio.

Dec 06 16 05:26 am Link

Model

Doee

New York, New York, US

Mary Durante Youtt wrote:
Working as an intern might be a difficult position to get without previous experience.  I'm sure there are a lot of clothing designers that start out as stylists with photographers.  Students from FIT. 

Without seeing any examples of your styling in your portfolio, it's impossible to see your capabilities. 

When you get to NY, feel free to contact me.  I have some concepts and will be looking for stylists who can think out of the box and collaborate with me (TF) on some photoshoots.  Its a good way to build your portfolio.

Thank you! Working on a shot with you would be great and I'll definitely be getting in contact with you. Do you have an email? I could send you some outfits I styled.

Dec 06 16 02:17 pm Link