Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Styling Question for the Wardrobe Stylists

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Hey there,

I'm planning a shoot involving a Sateen Evening dress, Dress is strapless. mid thigh length.

Currently I'm torn between a style of Shoe. The Shoe will be a Suede heel.

Would a heel with a round toe be too casual for the evening dress? My other options are a similar heel with a pointed toe box or a Suede open toe bootie.

Keeping in mind the Holiday Season and it is Winter here in PA,

As I tend to over think things does it even matter?

thoughts are appreciated

Dec 04 16 03:43 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

I'm not a stylist, but after being part of many wardrobe changed during a shoot, my immediate thought is... why not  shoot with both shoes?

Dec 04 16 11:02 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Lisa Berczel wrote:

Thanks, I don't currently own all of the styles I'm considering...... I guess this is where a real Wardrobe Stylist comes in  smile

I've actually committed to the more classic pointed toe box, My feeling is it is more fitting to the look.

Dec 04 16 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Thanks, I don't currently own all of the styles I'm considering...... I guess this is where a real Wardrobe Stylist comes in  smile

I've actually committed to the more classic pointed toe box, My feeling is it is more fitting to the look.

Do you already have a model so you know size? Have you bought the dress? If yes, go to the dress shop and ask their opinion. If you don't have the model, you can't buy the dress or shoes.

Dec 28 16 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

a shoot involving a Sateen Evening dress, Dress is strapless. mid thigh length.

Currently I'm torn between a style of Shoe. The Shoe will be a Suede heel.

Why suede? Is there a clothing designer in the mix? If so then they should provide the footwear

Would a heel with a round toe be too casual for the evening dress? My other options are a similar heel with a pointed toe box or a Suede open toe bootie.

51 keep in mind that the iconic "Classic Black Pump" would be a signature style for formal evening attire...  btw, nearly every working model I've collaborated with have these in their "Model's Bag"

Keeping in mind the Holiday Season and it is Winter here in PA...

And you're even considering open toe?  Seriously... 

As I tend to over think things does it even matter?

Absolutely! The devil is in the details...

Best Advice?  During the pre-shoot planning phase we have a standard wardrobe directive which is
"Either the designer and/or studio will provide wardrobe and accessories only standard items (flesh colored under garments for females) and shoes are essential." 

51 It is imperative that the talent's footwear does not create discomfort... All working models will have the aforementioned Classic Black Pumps in their kit... At least this has been my experience...

Hope this helps, or is at least food for thought...

Dec 28 16 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

MikeW wrote:
Do you already have a model so you know size? Have you bought the dress? If yes, go to the dress shop and ask their opinion. If you don't have the model, you can't buy the dress or shoes.

Yes, I have the Model in mind and know Her size(s)

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
Why suede? Is there a clothing designer in the mix?

Thomas, I felt Suede would enhance the sheen of the dress and Black a 'safe' colour, adding a Black Suede clutch and choker to match.

No there is not a clothing designer involved, I'm on My own.

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
And you're even considering open toe?  Seriously.

Not in Winter.

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
Absolutely! The devil is in the details

Agreed.

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
Best Advice

Much appreciated! Yes, I've already encountered the uncomfortable footwear scenario, twice.

here's what I came up with, dress is Betsy Johnson, shoe Jessica Simpson (the dress is knee length).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5N8AAOSwYIxX9YkZ/s-l500.jpg https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/DSWShoes/dsw12prod6640071_001_ss_01?scl=3.125&qlt=70&fmt=jpeg&wid=480&hei=359&op_sharpen=1

+ the evening bag and choker.

Dec 29 16 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5N8AAOSwYIxX9YkZ/s-l500.jpg https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/DSWShoes/dsw12prod6640071_001_ss_01?scl=3.125&qlt=70&fmt=jpeg&wid=480&hei=359&op_sharpen=1

♥ Love ♥ the Gown!  Emerald green works so well with nearly any skin tone...

This black pump looks perfect for the narrative...

You'll maybe want a box of varying size bull clips to pull it in tight so as to be form fitting...
Once collaborated with a wardrobe stylist who had the most amazing lit' hand stitching device...
Used monofilament to bind fabric together... Look for one of those, they are so much better than industry standard bull clips...

Enjoy your session, k?

Dec 29 16 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Enjoy your session, k?

borat

Thanks, will do!

Dec 29 16 03:37 pm Link