Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Standard for Paying On-site MUAs

Model

DannieDistorted

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey folks,

I've got a shoot coming up, and I have a great makeup artist that I'm looking forward to working with, but this will be my first time working with an on-site MUA.
What is the standard for paying him/her for their services? Is it typical to pay by cash before the shoot begins, or is there a different way that tends to be widely preferred?

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can offer. smile
Cheers!

~Dannie

Nov 25 16 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

The standard is to ask the person you are paying their payment terms. I'm a little surprised they havent made this clear to you already.

Nov 26 16 01:55 am Link

Model

DannieDistorted

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh, I assumed that some folks would have various prefereces, depending on the project. I just wanted to know if there was an industry standard, or if there is a huge variance industry-wide.

Thank you for the reply!

Nov 28 16 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

it depends on the project, if the photographer hired/arranged the mua,
maybe they are taking care of it.

is  it is a TF  shoot?
for me, if I was doing a TF and model and I had need for hmua,
I would take care of, or split cost with the model.

Nov 28 16 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

DannieDistorted wrote:
Oh, I assumed that some folks would have various prefereces, depending on the project. I just wanted to know if there was an industry standard, or if there is a huge variance industry-wide.

I always engage the MUA/H myself (rather than the model) and my practice is to pay him/her in cash on completion of the work. Usually I will want two looks and the MUA/H will be paid when they leave on completion of the second look. Occasionally I might want them to stick around for touch ups.

I've never encountered a problem with this approach.

Nov 29 16 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Steve Arebalo

Orange, California, US

K I M I L Y wrote:

I always engage the MUA/H myself (rather than the model) and my practice is to pay him/her in cash on completion of the work. Usually I will want two looks and the MUA/H will be paid when they leave on completion of the second look. Occasionally I might want them to stick around for touch ups.

I've never encountered a problem with this approach.

+1

Make-up makes a difference, especially on headshots. If you are hiring the on-site MUA figure a minimum of $50 and work up from there. Most salon (air brush) MUAs charge $125. I start on-site MUAs at TFP until I get to know how they work. I will progressively increase the money based on location and need. I am currently paying a regular MUA $75.

Nov 29 16 02:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EnhancedBeautyArtistry

Weldon Spring, Missouri, US

She should have an hourly, half day rate and full day rate. My hourly is $95 and half day 4rs is $350 and full day 8hr $650 for print or on set shoots. A good MUA is worth the $$ and will get your images noticed more, because it gives a professional touch.

Dec 06 16 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've been in the business of shooting models and paying makeup artists for many years.

As far as I know, the standard way of payment has always been to issue a check to the MUA as they are packing up and getting ready to leave. The MUA's write out their invoice and hand it over to whomever is in charge of the shoot (ie: client, art director, photographer, etc.) and then the check is written and handed over to them.

Paying in cash doesn't leave a paper trail as usable for taxes as written checks.

KM

Dec 06 16 02:20 pm Link

Model

DannieDistorted

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This is all great advice; thank you all for all these replies! smile

Dec 06 16 02:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Ask the makeup artist. Standard is production payroll. If you are hiring privately, check or money order. We have to do taxes.

Dec 07 16 08:25 pm Link