Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > nipple shields

Makeup Artist

Deyanne Holmes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on the best adhesif to use for nipple covers. These are to be used for body painting and I made very thin ones using latex and tissue paper. Does anyone use Pros Aide? Or is latex better? They need to last for an entire evening of halloween fun. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Oct 27 16 08:03 pm Link

Oct 27 16 08:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Deyanne Holmes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for posting so many alternatives. Much appreciated.

Oct 27 16 08:58 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Prosaid would be overkill for a pastie, but it will work. If you go this rout, get the low-tac version.

Latex will also work, HOWEVER be sure to do a patch test for sensitivity. the skin on the nipple is NOT the same as, say, on the arm.

Either Prosaid or Latex allows you to blend around the edges and stipple some texture so you don't get as much of an artificial shine spot. (I powder when tacky to further matte the final finish.)

Pasties in my experience have a problem with shrinking and expanding depending on the model's temperature. I find that taping the nipple down FIRST with medical grade paper tape helps keep thing in place, as it were. ESPECIALLY if the model has a piercing that can't be removed.

For this reason I preferred the more expensive foam latex pieces when pasties were required. And no, you really don't want to try to re-use this kind of prosthetic.

Oct 28 16 09:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

Deyanne Holmes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks so much, Lisa for your very detailed reply.

Oct 28 16 11:14 am Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Deyanne Holmes wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on the best adhesif to use for nipple covers. These are to be used for body painting and I made very thin ones using latex and tissue paper. Does anyone use Pros Aide? Or is latex better? They need to last for an entire evening of halloween fun. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Disposable covers are self adhering and work well. Do not use eye lash adhesive as any cover will be difficult to remove. Whatever your choice, if you are having difficulty removing, use peanut oil to dissolve glue.

Oct 30 16 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

OP, your title reminded me of Legal Shield so I started new thread and solicit input and experiences
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/963131

Oct 31 16 08:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Deyanne Holmes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

FYI: We ended up using the self sticking disposable ones and they worked amazingly well. I was really surprised because I doubted they would last throughout the body painting session and through the night but I was wrong. Just passing this on.

Nov 02 16 05:14 pm Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

Actually most foam latex pasties state in their directions to use ProsAide.   But don't do as most state and cover the nipple.  Foam latex pasties can be hard to find as few make them. There are however some cool foam latex shapes for body art like sea shells.

As you found simple petal type rounds can work well.  Really well and they are the most used type of nipple cover in the body painting industry.

Some do use silicone pasties but they can be sleek and makeup will not always stick well.  The best ones are reusable made by ProKnows called ProSHEILD nipple covers.

These days a lot of us are making our own out of 3D transfer material.  Pre-made nipple cover transfers by Monster Paste are really nice. Easy to use fairly seamless, accepts makeup well.

Sometimes it comes to price $1 or 2 for simple self adhesive or $15 plus for foam, silicone or 3D transfers.
And sometimes it trial and error to find what works for you.
I have used cheap and loved them and hated them.  I have used expensive and loved them and hated them.

Nov 25 16 05:53 pm Link