Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Life style photo shoot

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

Any tips on what to wear? I'm styling myself to save money. I have no clue what type of clothing to wear. Well, I could put some things together but I prefer advice and feedback from others.

Oh btw, I am pregnant (25 weeks) but this isn't necessarily a maternity shoot...

Please help me out.

Oct 21 16 02:30 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

smray7 wrote:
Any tips on what to wear? I'm styling myself to save money. I have no clue what type of clothing to wear. Well, I could put some things together but I prefer advice and feedback from others.

Oh btw, I am pregnant (25 weeks) but this isn't necessarily a maternity shoot...

Please help me out.

In situations where there won't be a stylist present, one of the best things you can do is talk to the photographer (or the MUA, or hairstylist...basically whatever members of a team that you will have). The rationale for this is that he/she/they will have far more details about the shoot then random MM community members. Consider that the term lifestyle is broad and that what would work in one setting or with one demographic would be completely off base with another.

Based on the extremely limited information you've provided e.g. you're styling yourself and your pregnant my suggestions are to focus on crisp, classic pieces: a well fitting white t-shirt, dark denim, ballet flats...in the event that you can be more detailed e.g. is this an indoor or outdoor shoot, what general mood are you trying to convey etc. it would be possible for me to be more helpful.

Oct 21 16 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I can only imagine the photographer isn't taking the shoot seriously because it sounds crazy to me that you're having to ask here. Surely you're able to discuss it with him/her prior to the shoot?

If the photographer has a strong, discernible style and you know the location you might be able to get a fair idea of what to take by looking through his port. But to be sure you really ought to discuss the styling with him.

Oct 21 16 03:01 pm Link

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

The shoot is in Miami. I asked him but he told me to bring a few different items so we can choose at the shoot. He did ask me what theme I was going for but I'm not sure. I didn't think a lifestyle shoot would have different styles, so I'm open to suggestions.

I'm doing this for a portfolio update on my own, so I appreciate the feedback.

But hurry, I fly out tomorrow!!

Thanks!

Oct 22 16 09:57 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Oct 22 16 10:32 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

smray7 wrote:
The shoot is in Miami. I asked him but he told me to bring a few different items so we can choose at the shoot. He did ask me what theme I was going for but I'm not sure. I didn't think a lifestyle shoot would have different styles, so I'm open to suggestions.

I'm doing this for a portfolio update on my own, so I appreciate the feedback.

But hurry, I fly out tomorrow!!

Thanks!

If you're doing this to update your portfolio then it would make the most sense to shoot what you feel you need.

Oct 22 16 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Tiffany_B wrote:
If you're doing this to update your portfolio then it would make the most sense to shoot what you feel you need.

Quite. Although if you read her OP she's clearly struggling and has asked for help with what to wear. The difficulty is that her budget is constrained and we don't know what she already has in her wardrobe. It's a bit worrying that this hasn't been resolved with the photographer before this late stage. Let's hope the photographer is more resourceful than it seems because it's a long trip for a TF with no clear idea of what will be shot or where. I hope it works out.

Oct 22 16 11:45 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

K I M I L Y wrote:
Quite. Although if you read her OP she's clearly struggling and has asked for help with what to wear. The difficulty is that her budget is constrained and we don't know what she already has in her wardrobe. It's a bit worrying that this hasn't been resolved with the photographer before this late stage. Let's hope the photographer is more resourceful than it seems because it's a long trip for a TF with no clear idea of what will be shot or where. I hope it works out.

My original response to her asked for more details in an attempt to provide her with greater insight...I do agree though that hopefully the end result works out, although if it doesn't it could be a lesson in proper pre-shoot planning.

Oct 23 16 02:36 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Life style is just that.  It is life.  Shopping, dinning, going to a sporting event, lunch with the gang biking or a picnic.  You want to wear what would be complementary  to that activity without having the outfit stand out over you in it.  Light hair and makeup.  Simple jewelry  (you aren't selling the jewelry)  Clean crisp outfits. Simple to no patterns.  A hand bag, a book a phone.  Maybe a hat.  Look through the ports here and see what they are showing.  I am known for lifestyle for hair and makeup.  Good luck have fun.  R-

Oct 29 16 07:02 am Link

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

Thanks everyone. I kind of booked the shoot last minute but we got everything worked out.

I did do a bit of research beforehand so I kind of knew what to wear, but I always come here for the feedback of other user.

And no I wasn't flying all the way to Florida for TFP shoot...

The things that people come up with instead of an answer...

Ciao!!

Nov 01 16 02:35 pm Link

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

rick lesser wrote:
Life style is just that.  It is life.  Shopping, dinning, going to a sporting event, lunch with the gang biking or a picnic.  You want to wear what would be complementary  to that activity without having the outfit stand out over you in it.  Light hair and makeup.  Simple jewelry  (you aren't selling the jewelry)  Clean crisp outfits. Simple to no patterns.  A hand bag, a book a phone.  Maybe a hat.  Look through the ports here and see what they are showing.  I am known for lifestyle for hair and makeup.  Good luck have fun.  R-

Thank you! That was very helpful!

Nov 01 16 02:35 pm Link