Forums > Newbie Forum > New avatar image, 18+=NONO, Sexy vs Art

Model

SaiOfficial

Diest, Flemish Brabant, Belgium

Hey all, i'm sure you never heard of me in this forum. i usually don't come here. but now i find it kind of important to write this. Every day i log in, checking my mails for the last few years. I only had a few times "trouble" accidently uploading a decent photo that staff considered to "mature" or "NSFW" or "18+=NONO". I think it happened 2 times in the years i have been here? (correct me if i'm wrong)

And in the past years i have tried to understand the rules but one thing i have to really ask because it has been a mindbreaker. WHAT exactly is "to sexy" and what exactly is not allowed as an avatar. Because, when i open modelmayhem,
i see a lot of "sexy" avatar photos on the front page ; no matter when i open it, even now, here a screenie ;

https://s16.postimg.org/py0pns9p1/modelmayhemagainstsexyphotoslmao.jpg

But... when i pose in front of a beautiful tokyo tower , covered nude, no sexy pose, just pure normal sitting, cover my breasts with my hair and my female genitalia with my hands (this pose is by the way "THE" pose for models in 2016, so i'm sure you know what i am talking about since it is the most trending pose now.). That is apparantly "to sexy" .

But a women with oil all over her body , covered genetalia with blur, that is fine as far as i can see... and a woman squishing her breasts in a brah where the camera zoomed in on, is also ..fine..

Lingerie is fine with seducing open leggs and anything imaginable seductive...

And a nude man covering his genitals with oil over his body that is reflecting with lights is also fine...

I have seen sooooo many of those kind of photos on the front page,
So i am really confused. I have been silent for years about this . A few times i asked a photographer about it and they also didn't knew and said it was 'confusing" for them as well what is 'allowed" and what is considered "omg no" .

So ... i'd love to solve this puzzle , its been years that i wonder about this puzzle and i would love to see this solved and i think i am not the only one wondering about it. I do notice most of the ones with sexy photos, are V.I.P, must we be VIP to be allowed this..? or is that completely not the "answer" to this puzzle. i really don't know but i really look forward to an answer.

I don't want to get banned because i upload something similar to the photos on the front page because i thought it was "okay " but apparantly "not okay" . I already made a mistake 2 times in the last years and i know usually a "3rd" mistake is the last one, right? So i rather get it figured out before i get banned.

Thanks!

ps : i uploaded this in the newbie area because i'm sure this is definitely something new people would love to get answered asap as well. seems an important thing to know, right?

Aug 30 16 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

SairuModel wrote:

Sairu, first let me compliment you are your multilingual expertise... You have an impressive knowledge base of a vast spectrum of languages... Kudos to your intellectual prowess here...

That said, Mayhem has maintained a rather constant stance on the appropriateness of Avatar Imagery over the years...  Please keep in mind that these images are viewable to the general public... enough said.

However if you have failed to find an enumeration of Mayhem's Site Wide Rules on the aforementioned here they are... btw, Mature Imagery is not allowed for Avatars...

Model Mayhem wrote:
Keep Model Mayhem WorkSafe

- Avatars must be CLEARLY Worksafe in nature.  i.e. not Mature Images...

Mature Elements

The following represent image elements that are allowed on Model Mayhem but must be marked "M" by their owners. These images must also follow the Model Mayhem's Worksafe rule.

- female nipple or areola

- bare buttocks (thong or not)

- bare penises that appear to be flaccid

- pubic area (whether hair is present or not)

- implied sexual activity

- bondage

- depictions of blood

- depictions of violence

- depictions of drug use

- see-through or semi-transparent clothing or body paint which shows any of the above

- profanity

- promiscuous llamas

Prohibited Elements

The following represent image elements types that are NEVER allowed to be posted on Model Mayhem.

- nude or implied nude shots of persons under the age of 18

- spread shots (vaginal or anal. Typically this is when fingers are used to spread, but other instances may be inappropriate as well.)

- penises, covered or not, that do not appear to be flaccid

- explicit sexual content

- any and all penetration of vagina or anus

- shots that emphasize primarily the genitals or anus

- shots with bodily fluids (referenced in a sexual / fetish manner)

Moderators and administrators will consider factors including, but not limited to, framing, composition, surroundings, and total effect.

Best Advice? Simply CAM a Moderator prior to uploading any questionable image...
They will share their interpretation of same...

Please keep in mind that sadly many on Mayhem ignore these rules (which may be one reason for Mayhem's demise).

btw, In my market agency talent typically use a strong headshot as an Avatar...  Which is an industry standard here... Mayhem obviously isn't reflective of commercial realities of what one would expect from agency worthy talent...

Enough said...

Aug 30 16 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

- pubic area (whether hair is present or not)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/40668507  18+

A mod flagged this image of mine as "M":
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/36641409  18+
I don't care.  I have my portfolio set so that non-members can see my 18+ images.

- bare buttocks (thong or not)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32989012  18+

There have been quite a few arguments about this in the Site Related and Contest forums.

Aug 30 16 06:44 am Link

Model

SaiOfficial

Diest, Flemish Brabant, Belgium

Thanks guys/girls ,

So as far as i can read from your information,
My avatar is not against the Modelmayhem rules :3

And thanks for the compliment ^-^
i love learning languages :3

Aug 30 16 08:56 am Link

Model

Glamourpuss

Durham, North Carolina, US

MM has blocked all my pictures. Each one says Avatar +18=nono or whatever the stupid message is. I look like a church lady in all my pictures. No skin at all. WTF???? No one can see any of my pictures and I'm starting to really hate this site.

Aug 14 23 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Glamourpuss wrote:
MM has blocked all my pictures. Each one says Avatar +18=nono or whatever the stupid message is. I look like a church lady in all my pictures. No skin at all. WTF???? No one can see any of my pictures and I'm starting to really hate this site.

Ever since the IOS app was made MM has it so all of the photos are marked M and it's up to the profile owner to change it.

To do so go here:  https://www.modelmayhem.com/mystuff#/manage_photos
Click on the album your photos are in
Click the photo's "edit" button.

Uncheck the box that says:
"For Mature Audiences Only (Nudity, Violent Images or anything NSFW)
Failure to properly flag mature photos could result in account deletion. If you aren't sure, check the box."

To use a photo as an avatar follow the steps mentioned above and then the "Save As Avatar" button

Aug 14 23 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

The opposite of artificial intelligence.

MM features Real Stupidity.

Aug 14 23 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Glamourpuss wrote:
MM has blocked all my pictures. Each one says Avatar +18=nono or whatever the stupid message is. . . . No one can see any of my pictures

Your images are not blocked. They simply can't be viewed on the mobile app. I can see them just fine on the web version.

When you uploaded your images, the process asked if they were "M" or not. You didn't specify "not".

Google and Apple have set the rules for "M".

Aug 15 23 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Moderator Note!
Yes, the Mature rules have changed over the years, and no, we don't catch all Mature images - especially ones that have been here for a long time.

There's endless discussions about this in the Site Related forum, so I won't bore everyone here with all the details, but suffice it to say that we know that things aren't perfect - especially with the AI detection - which is why you can appeal to a human to look at the image in question and decide.  You'd be surprised how many people try to appeal totally nude photos.

And don't worry about being banned for a mislabeled photo.  We will warn a member multiple times before taking such an extreme step.

At any rate, if you have relevant questions, I have an "Ask a Moderator" thread going over in Site Related.  Feel free to ask them there.

Aug 24 23 11:14 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Glamourpuss wrote:
I look like a church lady in all my pictures.

Oh, I'm glad you told us, no offense but I thought you WERE an old church lady!!! LoL
You can post skin, you just gotta flag as M. M can only be seen by logged-in MM members.
Either your friends are gonna have to join MM or see you as an old church lady!!! LoL

John

Sep 03 23 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

John Silva Photography wrote:

Oh, I'm glad you told us, no offense but I thought you WERE an old church lady!!! LoL
You can post skin, you just gotta flag as M. M can only be seen by logged-in MM members.
Either your friends are gonna have to join MM or see you as an old church lady!!! LoL

John

Depends on the setting for each album.  Anybody, members only, password. 

I love phreaking out my hen pecked chatroom buddies.  In truth, they are very discerning and I value their opinions. .

Sep 04 23 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Avatars must be less sexually oriented, because they can be seen by under age members, and NOT because they can be seen by the public. No one who is not a member can access the site. The reason for the mature designations, is the same, to allow parental control, on members who are under age. (Fat chance of that actually working.)

More and more, in today's world, models simply can't begin, until they are at least 16, and of course, until they are 18, they can't do anything revealing..............indeed, a lot of people would frown on using a 16 yr old for swimsuit modeling, despite the fact, they can go to the beach and show themselves off to the world, in whatever their parent will allow.

It doesn't have to make sense, because of course, it usually doesn't make total sense. You have to be a member to access the site. However, if an under age model wanted to join, and a parent was willing to check it out, they simply don't want the parent to be turned off, by blatant nudity, right off the bat. Same with the Mature controls. It allows the parent to have some control over what they look at, ONLY if they do NOT give the sign on password to the teen, and they require the teen only get on the site while the parent is monitoring them.

I am totally ok with those aspects, as I fully understand and agree with them. Where I find the problem comes in, is when a new member who says they love fashion modeling, when they are 5' 2", tall. As far as I have seen, there is no easy place to look up genres, and see what they actually include............BEFORE the model selects them. There needs to be more actual information about genres, up front. Also, there needs to be more diversification of genres, sort of sub-genres, in my view.
For instance I have genres in my own interview sheet, for those who might be willing to model in the categories of Lingerie, Nudity, and Erotic, to select masked versions of those, if they are concerned about, the attitudes of people they know, seeing their photos.  I don't do that with glamour, because the face is important in that genre, and it would not be a suitable option to use for that genre.

My interview sheet, besides providing the basics about the model, age, contact information, sizes, etc. lists all of the genres I do, and details what kinds of things can be expected of a model who selects that genre. Being fully up front, with what each genre means, has always been the best way to be. Some may be shocked that certain categories even exist, but they will simply reject those, which is their choice.

Then, the other thing that is totally, 100% lacking, on MM, is the courtesy of replies to shoot offers. I don't care if you say no, I would rather the model reject the offer, in response, than ignore it, even if you already have examples in your portfolio of images, but failure to reply to a job offer, is unprofessional and unacceptable behavior. (That's one of the reasons I say most MM models are NOT professional, but not the only reason.) I will admit I am spoiled by having been in a major market previously, and having actual model agencies to use, for everything from fashion to glamour, and being able to have castings arranged to select a model from, in person.

I certainly recognize I don't have much of anything available where I am now, and that was my purpose to come to this site............which has been a total disappointment for me, because most of these people do not seem to be serious about modeling at all. I call it the "dreamer" model, who has visions in her head, rather than any intention of ever actually being a model.

Rick

Sep 08 23 06:20 am Link