Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Doing hair outdoor

Photographer

jmusse

New York, New York, US

Hi everybody;

I am planning an outdoor photo shoot, (not a close location to do the hair or rent a space) and I am wonder what is the best way to power hair dryer, flat iron, etc. I would love to know your experience using power batteries or generators. What could be your solutions? Thanks.

Jose Musse
http://www.josemusse.com

Aug 14 16 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aug 14 16 08:37 am Link

Photographer

jmusse

New York, New York, US

Thanks.

Aug 21 16 07:05 am Link

Hair Stylist

Bianca Mebane

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

jmusse wrote:
Hi everybody;

I am planning an outdoor photo shoot, (not a close location to do the hair or rent a space) and I am wonder what is the best way to power hair dryer, flat iron, etc. I would love to know your experience using power batteries or generators. What could be your solutions? Thanks.

Jose Musse
http://www.josemusse.com

Hey, I just recently overcame the same challenge during a trip to NYC where we shot a lot in parks and on the street. The photographer that I worked with brought along a Vagabond Mini Lithium portable battery and it was a complete godsend. It worked awesome at powering my irons (Hot Tools marcel irons, and a flat iron), getting them just as consistently heated as a wall outlet and I never actually used more than 1/3 of the power supply after using tools for about 20-30 minutes. As a plus, the Vagabond Mini is actually pretty light  and easy to transport too. I'm sure an A/C current professional blowdryer with higher wattage would tax the power supply more, but if you're quick at blowdrying it should give you enough power to complete the job. Hope this helps!

Aug 22 16 10:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Generators are used on location to power tools and lighting equipment all the time for hair and makeup folks. Not a biggie.

Aug 26 16 03:41 pm Link