Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Photoshoot and Tanning?

Model

Mishelle portfolio

Miami, Florida, US

I viewed a Photoshoot on America's Next Top Model where they applied something to the models skin. I believe it was tanning or maybe some sort of oil for shine. I'd like you to watch if you have Hulu to tell me what it is.

If you want to view better you can watch America's Next Top Model Season 22 Cycle 8 around 19:01
It's during the doll in the box photoshoot, you'll see them getting prep between photo sessions.

I know tanning isn't recommended because it doesn't look good on camera. It may look orange, etc.

Jul 10 16 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Mishelle portfolio wrote:
I know (fake) tanning isn't recommended because it doesn't look good on camera. It may look orange, etc.

Ask Trump !
-Don
EDIT : for some useful information, I'd recommend a real tan, they look, and photograph so much better. You can get a full body tan, fairly easily.

Jul 10 16 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Mishelle portfolio wrote:
I know tanning isn't recommended because it doesn't look good on camera. It may look orange, etc.

I could not agree with you more.  Artificial tans are horrible and real tans are not much better - tan lines are ugly.

Jul 10 16 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

A lot of product looks different under studio strobes, tanning being a common one.  I am sure there are ones that are better (or worse) than others but it's not something I would use in my work.  Still if you want the look I would explore the options, real sun exposure (tanning) will make you look much older sooner in life; just visit florida (not our OP) and see all the middle age folks who look 75+

Jul 10 16 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

If it's orange you are looking for just post a slightly saturated skin tone on mm and the site will make it orange.   Not sure about facebook etc., I don't use those sites.

Jul 10 16 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I know a model that uses that spray on tan crap.  At one shoot she showed up and I did a double take because she looked so orange, totally horrible look.  Another time a models spray on tan ruined an outfit I had wear.

Jul 10 16 04:32 pm Link

Model

Mishelle portfolio

Miami, Florida, US

Anyone recognizes what they are using here from the white plastic bags at the corner of the 1st picture. I see the top has color and when they spread it on the body it shines. Other models also had shine since it's a photoshoot to look like plastic dolls. If you want to watch better go to Hulu (they have free trials incase you don't have an account) America's Next Top Model Season 22 / Episode 8.
https://images.craigslist.org/01010_gmVl13TDFnA_600x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00s0s_2chnDGVMzHZ_600x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00404_2UCRpE2TZWZ_600x450.jpg

Jul 11 16 04:23 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

I suspect they've just bought a tinted "tanning" gel body makeup in bulk - like what body builders use for fitness competitions.

Jul 12 16 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Years ago a body builder guy told me that they used a mixture of tincture of iodine and baby oil. I'm sure you can buy the stuff already to go. Dunno if that's still the stuff to use, though.

Jul 12 16 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:
A lot of product looks different under studio strobes, tanning being a common one.  I am sure there are ones that are better (or worse) than others but it's not something I would use in my work.  Still if you want the look I would explore the options, real sun exposure (tanning) will make you look much older sooner in life; just visit florida (not our OP) and see all the middle age folks who look 75+

100% correct.  I recommend foregoing the ridiculous practice of tanning.  Nothing is worse than these 20 something year old locals looking like rode hard and put up wet, leather faced creatures with horrible skin...  add to the fact that a lot of them at any given time have a cigarette uncouthly hanging from the side for their mouth as they stand (in flip flops) in a tank top, chewed off finger nails, with a baby on their hip in nothing but a wet diaper... completes the typical-in-the-dirty-south visual.
Some of the worst skinned people I've seen my years of being a resident in 3 states.

Jul 12 16 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:

Teila K Day Photography wrote:
100% correct.  I recommend foregoing the ridiculous practice of tanning.  Nothing is worse than these 20 something year old locals looking like rode hard and put up wet, leather faced creatures with horrible skin...  add to the fact that a lot of them at any given time have a cigarette uncouthly hanging from the side for their mouth as they stand (in flip flops) in a tank top, chewed off finger nails, with a baby on their hip in nothing but a wet diaper... completes the typical-in-the-dirty-south visual.
Some of the worst skinned people I've seen my years of being a resident in 3 states.

I have a friend who died of skin cancer, We were surfers, and did nothing but lie around, in the sun, in Mexico, all day ! (a pretty long time ago).
I know it took a toll on me, my other friends, and my brother too. But the spray on stuff....
-Don
EDIT: In retrospect, I don't think you are talking about a tanning product at all, in the image you furnished, I believe the stuff they used, in the white bag, is the stuff body builders use, to make their skin shiny. I'd ask a makeup artist, or a body builder, if that is the case.

Jul 12 16 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Having to do a bunch of swimwear shoots in the past the models with the fake tanning products used on their required the most amount of retouching/post production work as skin tones are far from consistent (blotchy) when photographed . I rather use a gold reflector or even some post production toning/filter work to add that colour then having to manually even out the fake tan. Also real tans definitely age you faster and also risk skin cancer. The 18-25's models I photographed that had too much sun exposure in the younger years also required a lot of skin retouching/softening and I would have guessed were in their 30's by appearance had I not known. I generally don't think the effort is even worth it.

Jul 12 16 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mishelle et. al. while prolonged extreme exposure to solar ultraviolet photons can negatively effect the epidermis and dermis the effect of ultraviolet photons is not all bad.  The UV spectrum has both beneficial and harmful effects to human health.  I am currently tutoring a college student through her nursing curriculum and as such becoming intimately familiar with the etiology of the myriad of pathologies the medical community deals with...   

Most humans depend on sun exposure to satisfy their requirements for vitamin D.  Cutaneous production of vitamin D3 is metabolized in the liver to 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and then in the kidney to its biologically active form, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. Vitamin D deficiency is an unrecognized epidemic among both children and adults in the United States. Vitamin D deficiency not only causes rickets among children but also precipitates and exacerbates osteoporosis among adults and causes the painful bone disease osteomalacia. Vitamin D deficiency has been associated with increased risks of deadly cancers, cardiovascular disease, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and type 1 diabetes mellitus.

Maintaining blood concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D above 80 nmol/L (approximately 30 ng/mL) not only is important for maximizing intestinal calcium absorption but also may be important for providing the extrarenal 1alpha-hydroxylase that is present in most tissues to produce 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3

Although chronic excessive exposure to sunlight increases the risk of nonmelanoma skin cancer, the avoidance of all direct sun exposure increases the risk of vitamin D deficiency, which can have serious consequences. Monitoring serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations yearly should help reveal vitamin D deficiencies. Sensible sun exposure (usually 5-10 min of exposure of the arms and legs or the hands, arms, and face, 2 or 3 times per week) and increased dietary and supplemental vitamin D intakes are reasonable approaches to guarantee vitamin D sufficiency.

Source: Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Dec;80(6 Suppl):1678S-88S provided via the National Institutes of Health

As with many things... moderation is germane...

Jul 13 16 07:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

In answer to your question, the white bags of product in the photos you posted are Pretty Peaushun, a commonly used product on set. You can get the same effect by mixing Jergens BB Body Lotion and Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs (the lotion version, NOT the spray on kind, the lotion is matte and the spray is super shimmery). Custom mix the amounts to the desired level of tanning. For a subtle shine you can spray over the top with olive oil mist, usually in ethnic hair sections. For oily type glow, Johnson's Baby Oil Gel can be dabbed on with a cosmetic sponge.

Jul 19 16 08:31 am Link