Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How important is Instagram?

Photographer

Vivanco Studios

Los Angeles, California, US

Hello beautiful people, am a photographer that has worked all over the world including Paris, Italy, China, LA and soon New York and have not used social media to often.
How important is Instagram? I was told by my agent to build a following, so am here to ask to please follow me on Instagram @vivanco_images.

Thank you to all that follow me and look to work with some of you in the near future.

George Vivanco

Jul 05 16 10:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Vivanco Images wrote:
...How important is Instagram?...

George the generally accepted definition of "Important" is

to be of great significance or value; likely to have a profound effect on success, survival, or well-being

That's a fairly high bar for Instagram to clear...  I would recommend that you query the Photographer's Forum on exactly how many shooter's primary revenue stream is derived from work they have booked off their Instagram presence... I believe you'll find the answer you are actually seeking...

However nearly all the agency represented talent and/or agency approved photographers I've collaborated with say the same thing... Tear Sheets trump everything... i.e. being published which for a photographer is indeed a major rite of passage...  Very close to this is your client list... Clients want to know who you have worked for... The more high end clients the better...

That said much depends on your mission purpose... for fashion shooters they seriously need to work directly with every emerging designer possible in their market... and this doesn't equate to shooting runway events... this means shooting entire collections, look-books and major campaigns...

Final thoughts... You are not likely to garner much respect by spamming the Stylist Forum... This is a Professional Forum which is limited to industry related questions... While asking about instagram may be germane however embedding blatant solicitations are consider in poor taste... There already is an Instagram Thread in the Stylist Form... Might consider posting there, k?

Thanks for your thoughtful consideration...

Jul 06 16 09:30 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

Instagram is super important.Some companies will hire talent and creatives based on their Instagram presence.

Jul 13 16 11:24 pm Link