Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > building a wedding network

Makeup Artist

Anais Ferraguti

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Hello everyone  smile

I'm a makeup artist based in Paris, mostly working in fashion. I'm starting to do pretty well and building a strong network in this industry, but now I would like to also expand to weddings. I have a wedding portfolio (after doing some wedding editorials)  that I sent to several wedding planners to offer my services, but no conclusive outcomes so far.

Do you guys have any advices or experience to share on how to start landing jobs for wedding ? because I don't really know how this particular industry is working.

Thank you very much for your help, have a great day !

Jun 14 16 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

After looking at your portfolio/website, I'm not sure why you would want to add weddings, your fashion and editorial work is stunning. 

First, you need to get some wedding type beauty images on your website.  You said that you have them and sent to wedding planners.  So add them under "weddings".

I don't know if this will help because the US wedding industry may be different then in other countries.  In the US a lot of wedding banquette venues will hold bridal trade shows for brides to be.  Vendors pay a fee to be there and some charge the brides and mothers of the brides fees for culinary tastings.  The event hosts photographers. MUAs, wedding planners etc.

Have you contacted any bridal shops or hair salons?  Talk to the manager, let them know what you'd like to do.  See if they will let you leave a stack of cards or brochures that show some before/after photos.  Contact wedding photographers also and see if you can collaborate with them.  Again this is a US thing,  some hair salons will recommend MUAs to the customers.

Good luck and as I said your work is stunning.

Jun 15 16 06:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Anais Ferraguti wrote:
...I would like to ... expand to weddings... ...any advice...

Anais, every market is different... That said there are universal parameters that transcend the anomalies latent within the diversity of arenas...

But first I must couch my inferences with the fact that I cater primarily to high end events... Thus my response is not germane to "bottom feeders" who are ubiquitous on Craigslist and the like...

Anais since you have not had acceptable outcomes to date this would lead me to believe you may not have identified your target demographic nor developed an effective market/sale strategy for same...  Both in the states and abroad the actual client is not the bride... it is indeed the mother of the bride who will be writing the check... Trust me here for high end work this is nearly always true... With rare exception it is the MOB who is fixated on vicariously reliving the most important day of their lives, bar none... They "get it" and totally appreciate that the dream created by an stellar event can/does hold a magical meaning within the lives of a bride & groom... As such can/will save marriages through those challenging moments when a cherished relationship is tragically disintegrating... Yes the MOB knows all to well the potential worth of an endearing event...

To this end you portfolio must showcase clean beauty... there are no options here... Why do you think the shelves of so many bookstores, drugstores, etc. are filled with volumes of bridal magazines... It is a rite of passage after an engagement that the bride to be must obtain countless copies of said publications to share with their moms and peers... Please take heed and build up a strong library of same... I have amassed a huge volume of bridal magazines... Many of which actually target specific geographic markets... The bridal "Comp Card" I market with is a mirror of the aforementioned imagery... My business card showcases a bridal image... The visual statement and theme of my studio is bridal... I take this very seriously in as it is the finest high value work in my market...

We are not allowed Critique in this Forum (Mayhem Rules) so absolutely no mention on bridal work excellence or lack of in your book here... Mayhem does indeed have a Critique Forum were this post might garner a more meaningful response...

However I will concur with all the methodologies Mary Durante Youtt enumerated in as I currently and have in the past used all her recommendations...

Perhaps the most important advice I can provide as a tenured bridal artist is... ASSIST other bridal artist in your market... There is absolutely no better way to grow professional and break into this highly competitive and lucrative market... Be warned though... If monetary gain is your prime motivator you will likely fail... Bridal makeup artistry is so totally about achieving the zenith of excellence on absolutely the most important day in a female's life... Either you have this passion to accomplish stellar bridal artistry or you seriously need to move on...

Food for thought... I would never accept a bridal gig without an assistant who would assure coverage should the unforeseen occur in which I became unavailable... yes there are things outside of one's control... Besides in nearly all the high value assignments I book there are bridesmaid, flower girls, MOG, MOB and this list actually can include others... You will never be able to succeed in bridal without a team...  That is cast in stone...

Hope this is of merit in clarification of what it likely takes to thrive as a bridal makeup artist... To me there is no other genre that can even hold a candle to the deep reverence I cherish doing bridal work...

All the best on your journey Anais

Jun 15 16 08:42 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Here in the States we have venue's were people in the wedding business offer brides a opportunity to view what the food caterers, tux, wedding gown, and photographer to show off what they have to offer. I know my town had about three different shows this year.  You might want to check out the news paper for engagement announcements. smile

Jun 15 16 07:02 pm Link