Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How to get clients?

Makeup Artist

Sophisticated Artistry

San Francisco, California, US

Hi I am a freelance makeup artist, I am just getting started and getting clients is really difficult! I am putting together my portfolio and would love more paid clients, as we all know makeup is expensive!

If anyone has any suggestions or can tell me how they got started I'd really appreciate that, if anyone would like to collaborate I'd also appreciate that!

Thanks!💋💋

P.s. Check out my page and leave comments and feedback

Jun 09 16 11:14 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sophisticated Artistry wrote:
Hi I am a freelance makeup artist, I am just getting started and getting clients is really difficult! I am putting together my portfolio and would love more paid clients, as we all know makeup is expensive!

If anyone has any suggestions or can tell me how they got started I'd really appreciate that, if anyone would like to collaborate I'd also appreciate that!

Thanks!💋💋

P.s. Check out my page and leave comments and feedback

I think that freelancing in any industry requires some basics, and an understanding that there are no guarantees in terms of what will work or when it will work. With that said, I think it that there are some definite things that help:

1. Have a clear vision of your brand (who are you? who's your client? why people should work with you?) and be consistent regarding how it's being communicated. For example as a stylist I was always upfront about the fact that I work solely with indie designers and don't do pulls from big brands. This served to speak to my own fashion aesthetic which isn't about the label but instead about the look, allowed me to build an amazing network of creatives who knew I genuinely supported their work, and helped me standout from people who were buying pieces off the rack.

2. Network. This means going to industry events and being willing to go to where your clients may be and speak to them.I have a friend who's a wedding DJ who whenever he sees a woman wearing what looks like an engagement ring finds a way to compliment the ring, this often leads to the woman revealing she's getting married and he then offers them his card...the best part is that he's actually gotten gigs this way.

3. Keep your eyes open for opportunity. Utilize the pro discounts and maybe look into collaborating with a high quality independent make-up brand as a way of getting more experience and some free product as well in exchange for doing the make-up for their shoots.

Good luck!

Jun 09 16 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm not sure what kind of clients you're seeking but would think putting together a professional book / website that shows what you can do is very important.

Jun 09 16 02:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

How to get clients?

While I'm not in your market I believe San Francisco, CA would be excellent for high value assignments...

any suggestions...

Initially my commercial web site drove my revenue stream... While it still plays heavy into the mix the Lion's share of my clientele are now from referral or former clients...

What would be a wise move? start by fixing the broken link to your web site... that creates a negative first impression for those who find you on Mayhem.  Second would be to showcase imagery for the work you want to do... You mentioned Bridal (wise choice) but I'm not seeing this in your current book...

Tiffany and MR have shared tenured wisdom...

Building a client base is a long arduous process... You might consider working pro bono initially... Once you are out in the market place things will ultimately happen... just takes time...

Hope this helps...
All the best...

Jun 09 16 05:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was in same situation when I first started.  It will take time to build your portfolio and reputation.  Networking is an important part of this industry.  Try to team up with other artist such as photographers or designers.  Assisting or doing TFCD is a great way to build portfolio and meet other artists.

Jun 10 16 06:20 am Link

Photographer

JHLePhotography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Focusing on Trade Work via Test Shoots is a good way of getting the Clients you're aiming for, due to the creativity being shown from your Creative Work.

Jun 10 16 09:02 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm not a makeup artist, but this is my observation being a fashion shooter for quite a long time.

The bread and butter money seems to be in weddings and television. It's like the low-hanging more steady income-bearing fruit. However I notice that those who aspire to do fashion, can impact their fashion/beauty chops by spending too much time doing real-people makeup for events.
So, we all need to make money, but it's important to also keep your head in the fashion game, doing that work, if that's your goal.

Jun 10 16 05:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

The advice Tiffany gave above is spot on. I'm going to share some hard truth with you now, but I'm sharing it in love with the hope that you will take it in and eventually it will get you where you want to go.

1. There are no shortcuts. The average artist spends 5-7 years building their book until it's at the point where they can begin doing this full time for money. That means you have to work another job. A job that offers you opportunity to practice or allows you to build your kit at a discount or through gratis is ideal. Don't expect to be handed paid work right off the bat.

2. You asked for critique and this isn't the forum for that, but I'm going to give you some feedback about what you are putting out there right now. When I looked I saw that a) You have a website with photos on your rate page that are clearly not your work. This is mis-leading at best and downright illegal.  b) You have no online presence that is professional. c) You have no pictures. Now don't tell me you have some photos up here on MM. Listen...you have no photos. All I see is some  behind the scenes photos, selfies, and several glamour shots that are not, in my opinion, portfolio quality. That means you have nothing that you should be showing anyone. Yet.

3. If you want to work in print/editorial/fashion/film/TV you need to find a senior artist and pay them to help you bone up on some techniques. There are some things stylistically and technique wise I see I won't go into specifically in the form of critique, but that will keep you from getting hired except by prom girls and brides who like the super heavy Instagram look. Just be sure the person is actively working in the field you want to work in and at the level you aspire to.

Now don't fret, *everybody*, including yours truly, starts out with nothing. Nada. Zip. And that's okay! Truly! Nothing to feel bad about. When I think back to some of the crap I churned out early on - and proudly! - I just cringe. So you ask, "How do I get tests if I have no photos so that I can get photos for my book?" Well, I'll tell ya - start with the truth. Tell people, "I really want to work with you! I don't have any photos yet, but I'd love to have the opportunity to show you what I can do!" It may take 100 people, but someone will say yes. Here's another thing: don't ever, ever, test with someone who is not as good as you are or better. This is called "testing up." Same goes for assisting senior artists. Be honest. Don't pad your resume. When testing confirm with the photographer in an email that you will get un-watermarked photos then be early, communicate well, be humble & kind. Always ask to see photos of the model before you agree to anything, with and without makeup. Follow up with a thank you card or email.

Find an arts school near you. They are chock full of fashion and photography students. This is a great place to get photos to start. Be picky about who you work with and figure for every 2 shoots you do you will get one awesome photo for your beginner port.

Don't be discouraged by any of this, please. I hope this didn't sound harsh, that's not my intent. It just doesn't seem like you have anyone telling you the hard things you need to hear to get off to a good start. I't's the same for everyone! No matter how talented you are, you will still have to go about building a portfolio the same way. Basic port guidelines: 5-6 clean, no makeup makeup and natural makeups for every ONE creative/editorial makeup. And for the love of all that is holy, do NOT glue shit on a model's face and send them to set. No candy, no feathers, no flowers. Just. Don't. About a dozen photos is fine. It's better to have a dozen good ones than 30 crappy ones. Lots of variety in skin tones. Have some men in there too if you do male grooming. No watermarks. Your website: buy your own domain and use it as your web name. Keep it clean. No bells or whistles. No crazy colors. No music. Look at websites of the most established (not necessarily famous) artists in the world. If you don't have a website no one can find you. Stick to your own name. No major artist in the world uses anything but their name and it's very unprofessional imo. Just your first and last name on your website, as your domain, etc.

Jun 10 16 10:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shirley Compaore

Dallas, Texas, US

Great information!! very useful smile

Jun 18 16 03:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Nora J Golden

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

^^Absolutely love all that advice, I am literally just starting out, this is actually my 1st post, not counting the instagram thread and everything that you said was so helpful, to the point, I'm going to change my name to my real one lol, can I ask a stupid question though?  Why no watermarks? I just don't understand how that takes away from the work? Thank you in advance

Jun 24 16 03:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

NJMUA wrote:
...Why no watermarks? I just don't understand how that takes away from the work?

As Danielle Blazer said...

When testing confirm with the photographer in an email that you will get un-watermarked photos then be early, communicate well,

Look in Danielle's book...  notice any watermarks?  Danielle is likely one of the most tenured artist on Mayhem... She speaks with considerable authority here...

Still don't get this?
Then here are the Top Makeup Artist in the US...
Check out their books... Tear sheets? Yes...  watermarked prints? No

Watermarking is akin to graffiti... basically the hallmark of bottom feeders who's barbaric marketing strategies instantly brand them as minor league players... Richard Avedon, Helmut Newton, Steven Meisel, Mario Testino, Peter Lindbergh and Annie Leibovitz are not into watermarking their imagery... enough said...

If a makeup artist has watermarked imagery in his/her book it speaks to want of working with a tenured team...
Agencies do not want to see watermarked imagery... the only branding or logo acceptable for an agency is that of the client for whom the session was for... Or tear sheets which are actual published work... here only print is germane... on-line is generally not consider as a published work...  What I'm sharing is if you ultimately want to be represented then watermarked, branded or logos isn't an option...
Hope this makes sense...

Jun 24 16 08:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nora J Golden

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Totally makes sense,  again, thank you both, this forum alone is a Godsend  big_smile

Jun 25 16 04:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Karen Keavey

New York, New York, US

Being a new MUA (after a 30 year career in another field), it's super important it is to hear the real deal in term of this career path.  Thanks everyone for your input.  Totally invaluable.  And yes, I'm still going for it wink, but now with a bit more smarts and strategy after reading everyone's posts!  Thank you!

KarenK NYC

Oct 31 16 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Danielle Blazer wrote:
The advice Tiffany gave above is spot on. I'm going to share some hard truth with you now, but I'm sharing it in love with the hope that you will take it in and eventually it will get you where you want to go.

The best post I've ever seen on any photography related forum. (And you have a port to match.)

Nov 01 16 07:43 am Link