Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Best foundation for the camera?

Model

Mishelle portfolio

Miami, Florida, US

What's your preferred makeup foundation and powder to use for the camera / flash photography?
Preferably a brush foundation that leaves an airbrush finish.

I've heard about L'oreal, True Match.
Heard there are better foundations than Makeup Forever HD.

What about powders? Which one create a great not cakey finish while photographing great?

I'm going to an event: they asked I wear foundation and eyeliner. Recommend eyeliner?

I use the Studio Fix Powder but that's not recommended for photography. Must of my products have spf. I have a Chanel foundation but I haven't used it in a while and don't know where I stored it.

Jun 06 16 07:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Wand HMUA

Austin, Texas, US

I am a fan of rmca foundation palettes. As far as powder.. I would never use the makeup forever hd setting powder it looks fine in person however in flash photography it leaves a white residue of the skin. (It's a problem that they said they would reformulate but haven't you can research it) I love the Ben nye neutral set powder (it's white) it can set all skin tones and it photographs very well

Jun 06 16 09:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

It's impossible to recommend the best foundation for you personally without seeing your skin. That would be irresponsible for a professional to do. That said, there are several that are carried by most makeup artists. RCMA, Maqpro, Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer and Graftobian are cream formulas and work on every skin type with the exception of Graftobian on oily skin. RCMA and Maqpro have a learning curve and are sometimes difficult for folks new to them to work with at first. Face Atelier and MUFE HD are the most commonly used liquid silicone based foundations used. If you want something water based, MAC Face and Body is an oldie but a goodie. All of these are suitable for film as well as photography. For sheer, goof-proof coverage I recommend using a damp Beauty Blender. You can build coverage in thin layers if you desire more. Be sure to blend down the neck, into the hairline, and over your ears.

As far as powder goes, Purely Cosmetics Diamond Finish is a lovely loose powder that does not flash back and leaves a soft, airbrushed finish without diminishing glow. Ben Nye Neutral Set or RCMA no-color powder are also favorites of makeup artists. For touching up, alternate blotting papers and Camera Ready Cosmetics Blot Powder (it's colorless) applied with a brush to maintain your makeup without adding unnecessary product.

Eyeliner recommendations will vary depending upon the look desired. For liquid, Stila Stay All Day waterproof felt pens come in a variety of colors, are easy to work with, and don't budge. For pencil, Stila Smudge Sticks come in many colors and are blendable but waterproof once set. MUFE Aqua Eyes XL pencils are also easy to apply and lovely. For gel MUFE Aqua Creams and MAC and Inglot are all great.

Jun 06 16 03:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mishelle portfolio wrote:
Best foundation for the camera?...

I totally agree with

Danielle Blazer wrote:
It's impossible to recommend the best foundation for you personally without seeing your skin. That would be irresponsible for a professional to do...

Danielle's vast enumerated listing is both excellent and spot on except for MAC Face and Body in which the primary ingredient is dimethicone a water soluble silicone... It is and always has been a silicone based product... and is highly popular on photo-shoots since it is cost effective, easy to apply and works great on arms, legs etc. 

Mishelle portfolio wrote:
...I'm going to an event: they asked I wear foundation and eyeliner.  Recommend eyeliner?

Mishelle as a bridal makeup artist the very first thing I ask a client is "what time of day is your event?"  Bridal or otherwise the time of day is a critical component in the mix... Wearing a heavy liquid eyeliner for a morning event is simply not an option... likewise a late evening event predicates considerably more drama... For nearly all runway and catwalk events I've collaborate on the narrative is cast in stone by the show's director... there is no margin for personal creativity allowed... every talent gets the same look regardless of how appropriate it might be for any particular individual...

My personal choice for eyeliner decor usually defaults to buttery soft Kohl in the water line smudged to taste... if more drama is required I'll apply a drop shadow along the lower lash line...  I typically avoid liquid liner completely... yes I totally understand it's great for streetwalkers and such but I've never been a major fan of glamour...

Hope this helps...
Or is at least food for thought...

Jun 06 16 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

FrequencyOfLight

Santa Barbara, California, US

Hi,
I’m a photographer.  I’ve 'faced' into the flash back problem a few times (pun wasn't intially intended, but once I read it, I decided it needs to stay).

Here’s what you want to look for in a foundation, or rather, don’t want to look for.

It’s a common misconception that SPF causes flash back.  SPF is not responsible for flash back.  Most of time time mineral foundation that includes ingredients like mica (small metallic flakes) will reflect the flash back into the camera. I think of it like reflective paint on a street sign at night when you point your headlights at it.  The metal flakes reflect back the light at the camera.  Ghost white.

Hope that helps - from a photographer's perspective

Jun 08 16 08:28 am Link