Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What looks will look best on me? Need ideas

Model

Vanessa Chanel

Miami, Florida, US

Provide pictures if possible. How would you style me?
Based on my skin complexion, hair, plus-size, round face what would look best?

- Hair
- Makeup
- Outfits
- Photoshoot / Concept

May 10 16 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Even though Your Name is Dior - You strike me as more of a Chanel sort of Lady

May 10 16 11:33 pm Link

Model

Vanessa Chanel

Miami, Florida, US

Garry k wrote:
Even though Your Name is Dior - You strike me as more of a Chanel sort of Lady

Changed it..

May 11 16 07:38 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

I'm a terrible dresser, but as a photographer, responding to your visual personality, I see in azures, intense reds and orange, and saturated purples. You're definitely not a cream or a beige.

May 11 16 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Vanessa Chanel wrote:

Changed it..

lol - I was totally not expecting that

tongue

May 11 16 09:13 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

It really depends on what kind of modeling you want to do....

Is this a hobby or do you want to build a commercial portfolio?
Do you want to focus on a specific genera such as Retro/Vintage, etc.

Commercial models need to be flexible. They adapt to the needs of the shoot including hair, makeup & wardrobe.

Hobby or Enthusiast typically requires models to do their own makeup & hair and provide the wardrobe - they are hired for their LOOK and/or Genera.

May 11 16 10:24 am Link

Model

Vanessa Chanel

Miami, Florida, US

Flexible, I want to build my portfolio.

May 11 16 11:14 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
It really depends on what kind of modeling you want to do....

Is this a hobby or do you want to build a commercial portfolio?
Do you want to focus on a specific genera such as Retro/Vintage, etc.

Commercial models need to be flexible. They adapt to the needs of the shoot including hair, makeup & wardrobe.

Hobby or Enthusiast typically requires models to do their own makeup & hair and provide the wardrobe - they are hired for their LOOK and/or Genera.

+1

As a stylist I have a love/hate relationship with the question of "How would you style me?" because my inevitable follow-up is always "For what?". The type of looks that I would put a person in for real life vary greatly from the type of things I put them in for shoots and with shoots consideration has to be given to things like genre, end client etc.

OP you mention wanting to build your portfolio but I have to ask "to what end?" This isn't meant to be a critique (and as such I'm saying nothing about your current shots), but what kind of images do you ultimately want and why? Consider that if you're looking to book paid gigs as a character or commercial model that's a very different direction then if you want a collection of images for your own usage since with the latter there are no images that you absolutely need since they're all based on your own preferences.

May 11 16 02:03 pm Link

Model

Vanessa Chanel

Miami, Florida, US

Any ideas are welcomed.

Will do better quality photoshoots. If it's between character or commercial model I'll choose Commercial. By character I'm guessing you are talking about costumes?

Willing to do both Retro / Vintage and other genre.

If you provide me with some images / ideas I can tell you what I like if you want my opinion or direction.

May 11 16 04:16 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Vanessa Chanel wrote:
Any ideas are welcomed.

Will do better quality photoshoots. If it's between character or commercial model I'll choose Commercial. By character I'm guessing you are talking about costumes?

Willing to do both Retro / Vintage and other genre.

If you provide me with some images / ideas I can tell you what I like if you want my opinion or direction.

First, if you're planning additional shoots then the bulk of this conversation needs to be had with the team that you'll be working with. Especially since "better quality shoots" tend to involve a stylist and/or designer and what they have access to may differ widely from anything suggested here.

Second, by character model I'm not referencing someone who wears costumes. As a general bit of education character models are those who generally don't fit industry standards for fashion, fit, or commercial modeling but because of their quirky/unique looks but are bookable for certain types of campaigns/jobs. If you're interested in more information it may be beneficial for you to check out the site for the Ugly model agency: http://www.ugly.org/UGLY-MODELS/index.php/about-us.html (In going to the site you'll see that the models aren't ugly at all, they just don't look like stereotypical
models).

Third, "retro/vintage and other genres" is a non-answer in terms of your needs from a styling standpoint. Being in 2016 looks from 1990 are considered retro so it's important for you to be able to narrow down what it is that you truly need/want and in that vein seeking out more specific ideas e.g. "1950s housewife look" or something similar.

May 11 16 09:16 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

OP, ask yourself why you want to model.
Is it to feel confident, to make money or both?

Personally I would go for basic, professional images and try to land national commercials for household, food products and drug medications.

Feeling pretty is pretty easy with or without a modeling profile or site.

Make money and work.
It's pretty awesome.

You:
Actions shots, lots of activity for stock photos...
Walking a dog, talking to friends, lots of smiling, different emotions...
Maybe a cute play on being sick but with a funny expression.

Normal clothes but more engaging with the camera and not so much a Driver's License vibe.
Show your personality!

Geez, makes me want to shoot more of these kind of pics too.
smile

May 12 16 11:24 am Link