Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Air travel with kit

Makeup Artist

Makeup Art by Tamara

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Hello,
I'm embarking on my first out-of-state gig next week (yessss)! I've Googled how to travel with your makeup kit. This is beauty, natural, and glam (all 3) on models for film & photography. I definitely will want to bring my kit on board and NOT check it (due to theft or damage) so does anyone have tips for getting everything I need into my Zuca Artist Pro rolling case? Is that TSA approved? Should I do cream foundation palette instead of liquid in bottles? How do you pack your kits for a flight? I'm nervous about getting everything through security. Do they allow brushes? Spatulas? Eyelash curlers? My scissor is a def no-no. Appreciative of any advice. Thank you!

May 08 16 09:57 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Take a read through a Search... this comes up quite a bit.
Also, read the TSA guidelines regarding liquids/creams.
There ARE limits and restrictions to what you can carry-on.

Here's some reading from the old Sendu Search:
https://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/?te … rt_order=0

And, from the TSA, creams are considered a liquid, so unless you can fit everything from skin prep to foundation to eyeliner gel into a single 1 quart bag, best to check it.

Liquids Rule. You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr … quids-rule

May 08 16 10:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup Art by Tamara

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Thank you! This is great advice. Much appreciated. smile

May 09 16 07:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

If like myself the threat of theft, damage or loss is anxiety producing, it may be best to simply send your liquid, cream and gel products and tools such as scissors and palette knives (spatulas) well packed in plastic bags and bubble wrap by FedEx or UPS to your destination with tracking and insurance on it. I depot only what I will need of these items so that I'm not sending my full stock of something. Be aware that flammable items are not always shippable or allowed on a flight. Things like alcohol I simply pick up at a drugstore when I land. Then pack your Zuca with your brushes and other tools that are okay for TSA and your powder products. I try to pack my carry on in a tidy way with no loose items so that if security wants to open it and check everything it can be done quickly and easily without damage. Everything is in a clear plastic bag so they can see exactly what it is without opening everything up. In my quart bag I put my worst case scenario stuff. To make my disaster bag (quart bag, lol) I go to Hobby Lobby and in the paint section I buy the teensy little paint cups with snap on caps in a package of a few dozen for a couple bucks. I put moisturizer, lip balm, serum, clear lip gloss and eye cream in them and toss them in the bag with 3 tiny Maqpro palettes - one of dark skin foundation, one of light skin foundation and the flashy palette of adjusters. I can make any foundation, corrector/concealer, contour/highlight, cream blush, lip color, eyeliner & mascara with these for any skin tone if I have to.

May 11 16 08:07 am Link