Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Retro hair styling

Model

Lys Sue

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Anyone have advice to make curls soft, waves classic and not have fly aways. My hair gets a bit frizzy. I have used a curling iron, wave wand and wet sets..I just get frustrated because my hair is like a wild lions mane some days. What priducts are good for taming fly aways and making waves/curls smooth?

Mar 11 16 07:56 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If you're looking to tame flyaways after the curls have been made, a bit of hairspray on a toothbrush brushed gently over the curls may take care of the issue if you're on set. This is a quick fix that isn't practical in real life but for shooting it's an inexpensive solution that may give you the desired effect. I'd of course test it out pre-shoot to be sure.

Mar 11 16 08:31 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Bianca Mebane

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

This may be like a 'duh' suggestion, but using a denman styling brush for breaking the curl set up first and then smoothing it over with a boar/nylon mix dressing brush is a really great way to tame frizz. The boar/nylon mix dressing brushes are amazing for distributing natural oils and smoothing. Also, the way that our grandmothers used to smooth out and shape their curl sets is by brushing out everything in sections over the back or palm of the hand and using their hands as a platform to mold the curls into uniform waves. Brushing everything down and out can create a lot of expansion and fuzz.
Pomade is a super overlooked product for longer hair but it's excellent for giving a little polish and weight to hair that wants to frizz when you attempt to mold it into a vintage set also. Hope that helps!

May 30 16 01:01 pm Link

Jun 03 16 05:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Wand HMUA

Austin, Texas, US

I also like to spray hair spray before I curl to start with a smooth but moldable base

Jun 06 16 09:48 am Link

Hair Stylist

LoriMiller

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

When curling hair - set it to cool. If you play with your curls before it is completely cooled- you will get frizz. Same goes with making sure it is 110% dry. Any moisture in hair will create frizz and limp curls.

Aug 06 16 07:53 am Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

A highly recommended book!..

'Vintage Hairstyling" by Lauren Rennells  Published by HRST Books

Aug 08 16 02:20 pm Link