Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Assisting an agency represented MUA.

Makeup Artist

NOEL FISCHETTI MUA

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey MM,

I am a MUA in my first year of freelancing. I moved from Detroit at the first of the year to LA to allow myself a better environment for my career growth. I have had some luck getting gigs including a Super Bowl commercial in my frist month, but I want to assist an established MUA so that I have more beneficial connections. My portfolio although strong in Detroit is not much use here considering Michigan has no fashion or entertainment industry at all. Should I hunt down and reach out to a makeup artist I spifically want to assist? Or should I reach out to creative agencies regarding assisting some of their talent.  All advise welcome.

Feb 22 16 07:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

NOEL FISCHETTI MUA  wrote:
Hey MM,

I am a MUA in my first year of freelancing. I moved from Detroit at the first of the year to LA to allow myself a better environment for my career growth. I have had some luck getting gigs including a Super Bowl commercial in my frist month, but I want to assist an established MUA so that I have more beneficial connections. My portfolio although strong in Detroit is not much use here considering Michigan has no fashion or entertainment industry at all. Should I hunt down and reach out to a makeup artist I spifically want to assist? Or should I reach out to creative agencies regarding assisting some of their talent.  All advise welcome.

usually when you move to a new area, you will need time to build up reputation to become known.  You should try reaching out to those you want to assist because they don't know you want to assist unless you ask.

Feb 22 16 08:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Wand HMUA

Austin, Texas, US

Building a portfolio and reputation in the area with other well known artists is key. Reach out to everyone you possibly can the worst that can happen is that they don't respond but can lead to amazing opportunities!

Jun 06 16 10:14 am Link