Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Allergic reactions - what can go wrong

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

This is among the things that can happen --

Woman documents horrific allergic reaction to HAIR DYE in dramatic images - which show her head and face swelling up so much that she looks 'like an alien'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … alien.html

Man 'almost died' on Christmas Day after one spray of Lynx deodorant
                                                                                   (Axe - depending on country)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ction.html

Nov 24 15 02:21 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

This is a great example of why I highly recommend insurance and using only the safest materials you can buy.

Nov 25 15 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
This is a great example of why I highly recommend insurance and using only the safest materials you can buy.

Rich why would you place the initial importance on protecting yourself?  Might one consider what licensed cosmetologist and and makeup artist are trained to do... Notably a patch test prior to using a new product over a large surface area on a client... but then again possibly body-painters aren't required to license are they Rich? 

From the above article

A young woman has learned the hard way that you should always do a patch test on your skin before using a new beauty product - especially if that product is hair dye...

This is indeed the professionally responsible thing to recommend... It is oft said that only a mercenary would likely place their own financial well being above that of their client... enough said... (and btw this is decidedly NOT a personal attack Rich, it is however an attack on a want of professional procedural knowledge) This is an Industry Forum Rich... 

Also Rich you can't purchase safety, it is not a commodity... Case in point, preventable medical errors are now the third leading cause of death in the United States, something that seems to get overlook all to often... 

In my formal training as a makeup artist I was constantly taught that "Your client's safety is always paramount" We had to master a myriad of issues & disorders of the epidermis additionally have a solid grasp of the many hazards and yes dangers latent within the product and application techniques we were being trained to use on the general public...  There are compelling reasons why cosmetologist and in a number of states, makeup artist require a license before they can practice on the clients within the general public.

And yes there are indeed cosmetic grade product which licensed makeup artist and cosmologist are trained to be keenly aware of... However the caustic agents in permanent hair dyes are among they most aggressive agents used by non-medically licensed professionals... While at the same this can't be entirely said for makeup, there are inherent risk there also... allergic reactions to product (especially foundations) is of VERY serious concern... To the point that I always insist on doing a 24 hour patch test before I will airbrush a silicone base product on a bride... the mere thought of an allergic reaction on a bride's wedding day is a makeup artist's worst nightmare...

Bottom Line?  If you are going to forgo having a licensed colorist dye your hair PLEASE consider doing a patch test... Experience is a brutal teacher and can indeed in a worst case scenario be fatal...

A happy and joyful Thanksgiving all here on Mayhem...
Trust you all get to share with family and friends...

Nov 26 15 06:38 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Why do I feel like you have some sort of problem with me Thomas? Did I piss in your cornflakes?

Insurance, because you need to be able to pay medical expenses if someone is hurt due to your negligence and or an accident.

Best materials money can buy to be as safe as possible. As opposed to using products that are not recommended for use on hair/skin.

That seems pretty clear. Look at my profile, I am known by all who have worked with me as being very safety conscious and thoughtful to my models.

Now then,

Patch tests are always a good idea, and should be standard procedure with anyone who has any training at all (I also recommend training).

It's also great to ask your models if there are any known allergies.

You should also know what to look for that might indicate an allergy and be ready to respond if something is amiss.

Dec 02 15 08:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Wand HMUA

Austin, Texas, US

As careful as one may be, issues like this can still occur. One should always ask their customer if they are allergic to anything in particular. This is also why many salons and artists will require a customer to sign a release form as well as doing a test patch

Jun 06 16 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
Why do I feel like you have some sort of problem with me Thomas? Did I piss in your cornflakes?

Not to worry Rich.  There seem to be lots of ass hats here on MM that have to pull down or deride other folks to make themselves feel OK. 

Insurance is just a good, practical way to protect yourself, your business and your assets.  Not all allergic reactions can be predicted by a "patch test".  In fact, they are actually pretty unreliable.  A good history taking about previous allergic reactions is better, but again, not infallible.

Jun 06 16 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Why do people in America insist on giving credence to anything reported in the Daily Mail, which in the UK is considered to be slightly inferior to toilet paper?

Edit:- Okay, I should change that to 'people in North America' and apologise to the Canadians amongst us - but then Canadians should know better!

Jun 06 16 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Kent Art Photography wrote:
Edit:- Okay, I should change that to 'people in North America' and apologise to the Canadians amongst us - but then Canadians should know better!

I just came from the meeting, and I asked. We do, and apology accepted. smile

Jun 06 16 01:13 pm Link