Forums > Newbie Forum > Newbie Here! Possible Scam Alert?

Model

ayang148

Houston, Texas, US

Hi everyone! Just joined MM, and I think there's a scam going around and wanted everyone's opinion/everyone to know.

I received a message from another MM user a few hours after my account was approved to email [email protected] regarding a catalog shoot.

I then received an email from Robert Houston, who says he's the assistant casting director of Instyle Magazine.

Why I think it's a scam:

1) The email is [email protected] rather than an email ending in @instyle.com or whatever.
2) I cannot find anything linking a Robert Houston to Instyle Magazine
3) In the email, he said he'd pay $400 upfront, including extra money that I would have to forward myself to the designer
4) The MM account that initially contacted me is no longer available

Just a heads up for anyone else out there who might've gotten the same message!

Aug 30 15 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Nature Coast Lightworks

Tampa, Florida, US

Aug 30 15 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

ayang148 wrote:
Hi everyone! Just joined MM, and I think there's a scam going around and wanted everyone's opinion/everyone to know.

I received a message from another MM user a few hours after my account was approved to email [email protected] regarding a catalog shoot.

I then received an email from Robert Houston, who says he's the assistant casting director of Instyle Magazine.

Why I think it's a scam:

1) The email is [email protected] rather than an email ending in @instyle.com or whatever.
3) In the email, he said he'd pay $400 upfront, including extra money that I would have to forward myself to the designer

Just a heads up for anyone else out there who might've gotten the same message!

Yes that's a scam
At the bottom of the message where is says "Flag this PM/Sender" in blue- click on it

Aug 30 15 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Total scam

Aug 30 15 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Scam - as soon as someone tells you to forward money to someone else you know it's a scam.  They send you a check to cash and forward part of the proceeds.  You cash the check and forward some of the money to someone else.  A few days later you find out the check bounced and you lose the money that you forwarded.

Aug 30 15 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Welcome to the Mayhem hienvy

MM EDU Articles
Avoiding Scams: The Basics
PM Flagging: A how-to guide
How to use Model Mayhem privacy options

Modeling Scams

If you receive a spam, scam, or solicitation for something not allowed on MM, please Contact a Moderator.

New Model Info

ayang148 wrote:
3) In the email, he said he'd pay $400 upfront, including extra money that I would have to forward myself to the designer - Yep classic Nigerian Scam

Aug 30 15 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello & Welcome to MM. smile

Its a scam, well spotted!

Aug 30 15 10:07 pm Link

Model

B maraya

Houston, Texas, US

Wow. Thanks for adding this input. I received the same message

Sep 03 15 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Your points are all good.

"I received a message from another MM user a few hours after my account was approved to email [email protected] regarding a catalog shoot."

This is typical.  The scammer knows that his account will be deleted from MM and wants to switch over to email ASAP.

"3) In the email, he said he'd pay $400 upfront, including extra money that I would have to forward myself to the designer"

Yes, this is the scam. The check that he sends you will be no good.

"4) The MM account that initially contacted me is no longer available"

MM has identified that account as a scammer and deleted it.

At the bottom left of a MM message, there is a place where you can report the sender to the Mods.

Sep 03 15 07:50 am Link

Model

B maraya

Houston, Texas, US

Will do!

Sep 03 15 07:52 am Link