Forums > Newbie Forum > Messaging Photographers

Model

Eowyn Ebony

Windsor-Eton, England, United Kingdom

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Model Mayhem, and so far I'm loving it! I have already gotten down to messaging photographers. Now, the problem I'm having, is that when I message them, I get to straight to my point but I feel like it's really cold, doesn't really show any of my character and is just plain awkward and I'm worried that this will affect my chances of people working with me. I want to keep my messages professional, but I don't want them to be so cold and awkward.

So, my question is: What's the best way to message photographers without coming across as someone with no personality?

Aug 27 15 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

JAMES ROSS PHOTOGRAPHIX

Tifton, Georgia, US

Hi and welcome!

Just my opinion....If you contact photographers you may just say something like "I enjoyed viewing your portfolio images and would love communicating with you if you feel my portfolio interests you".  You may also state that you really desire to expand your portfolio with the best quality images possible.

Note...I think it's REALLY important for you to clearly express what type of images you are willing to shoot.  This should be made clear within your PROFILE.  For example you may say that you will shoot limited "implied images" but no nudes. 

To conclude, You may just say "Thank you in advance for your consideration and I look forward to hearing back from you"!

Obviously it's a whole different story when being messaged by us photographers.  There are many good articles from Model Mayhem what to look for when selecting a photographer.

Best of luck!!

James

PS...Your "personality" will come out if and when you have conversations (written or verbal) with the photographers who respond with you.  Just be honest and straight forward.  There should be NO surprises when you work together.

Aug 27 15 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Because you are just 17, a parent should be fully involved and aware of all messages. They should be present at all meetings and shoots. Only they, legally can sign any required releases or contracts. Be sure all shoots are age-appropriate.

Aug 27 15 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

JAMES ROSS PHOTOGRAPHIX

Tifton, Georgia, US

Flex Photography wrote:
Because you are just 17, a parent should be fully involved and aware of all messages. They should be present at all meetings and shoots. Only they, legally can sign any required releases or contracts. Be sure all shoots are age-appropriate.

Good advise...I did not notice that you are a minor.

Aug 27 15 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello & Welcome to MM. smile

The best way is to be yourself!

I much prefer shooting with a model who is happy, jokes and see's the funny side, rather than a total 'professional'!

Just enjoy your modelling, have fun and be sensible about your own safety etc., as not everyone is nice in the world.

I wish you All of the Best! smile

Aug 27 15 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Welcome to the Mayhem hienvy

Find something you genuinely like about a photographer and start with a compliment based on that. I really the theme of that shot, for example. Don't gush about it, just be genuine.

Don't get put off if some don't respond. To some people no response is a response, just a negative one.

New Model Info

Aug 27 15 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Robsphotographics

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hi,
The others have given you some good advise, especially about the parental consent and an authorised person to be with you.
The approach you make again can be easy, happy and simple, with requests stated or requests wanted. As a minor should you be working in Australia the photographer needs to exclude nude, topless and implied nudes even lingerie can be excluded by many.
However many many wonderful shots are taken by photographers of young models, you may consider some catalogue shoots they can give you some great practice.
Cheers Rob
From Australia down under
Welcome to MM and good luck.

Aug 28 15 12:28 am Link

Model

Eowyn Ebony

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your advice. I am, at the moment, a minor, but I have a month to go until I am one no longer! After reading your advice, I've noticed that I already do a lot of it, but it still seems somewhat off. I always tell the photographer whatI like in their portfolio, and I say what I would like to do in a shoot with them and I say about what kind of payment etc etc. It just seems so direct and cold. I'm probably just over thinking because I want to get things right. Thanks again!

Aug 28 15 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

When I message models it's pretty direct I just say 'hey I really like your port would you like to set up a trade shoot sometime?' and if they answer I iron out all the details about the shoot from there and that seems to work.  I feel like if a model messaged me the same thing I wouldn't have a problem, really I don't like lots of filer in message with other random information I don't really need soooo yeah it's probably fine how you're wording it.

Aug 28 15 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I agree you are over thinking this
Im more concerned about reliability and being on same page creatively than personality(unless person comes across as crazy)

Aug 28 15 08:05 am Link

Photographer

East West

Los Angeles, California, US

Eowyn Ebony wrote:
Hi everyone! Thanks for all your advice. I am, at the moment, a minor, but I have a month to go until I am one no longer! After reading your advice, I've noticed that I already do a lot of it, but it still seems somewhat off. I always tell the photographer whatI like in their portfolio, and I say what I would like to do in a shoot with them and I say about what kind of payment etc etc. It just seems so direct and cold. I'm probably just over thinking because I want to get things right. Thanks again!

When you bring up the issue of payment, who's getting paid? You or the photographer?

Aug 28 15 08:30 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

most of my TF shoots happen when a model tags me with "would love to shoot some time"

if you are looking to get paid, then that's a different story. some photographers don't appreciate cold calls.

Aug 28 15 10:07 am Link

Model

Eowyn Ebony

MDWM wrote:

When you bring up the issue of payment, who's getting paid? You or the photographer?

It really depends on what the shoot is, whether there are travel costs etc. By saying I discuss payment, I mean discussing whether it's going to be a TFP shoot, or if the photographer is going to be paid etc etc. However, if I'm looking to get paid, I won't tell the photographer how much I want to be paid in the first message, I'd rather see if the photographer wants to work with me first. I feel saying it in the first ever paragraph you write to a photographer is not only pretty rude, but cocky and puts across the wrong perception.

Aug 28 15 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

This is pretty sexist, but guys at work don't need small talk, especially false flattery.  Women seem to need a peace offering, compliment, especially from an attractive female; otherwise the claws come out.  To me, false compliments are more of an insult.  If you want to make friends with photographers a little HONEST flattery goes a long way.  Don't just say that you like their work, give a specific example that shows you actually looked at their port.  I really like that you have a lot of variety of models and settings, or I like that you use different lighting that compliments the overall feel  And use their work as a reference. I like your picture of the lady in the green dress by the lake, and would like to shoot something similar, but maybe more of a vintage look.
Be honest.
Be reliable.
Respond to each question.
Show some interest in the result and process.
Ask questions related to your part.
    If you did all of the above most photographers would think you're a superstar.  You could fart loudly after every shot and they would not care a bit.

Aug 28 15 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Bertrand

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Pictures of Life wrote:
This is pretty sexist, but guys at work don't need small talk, especially false flattery.  Women seem to need a peace offering, compliment, especially from an attractive female; otherwise the claws come out.  To me, false compliments are more of an insult.  If you want to make friends with photographers a little HONEST flattery goes a long way.  Don't just say that you like their work, give a specific example that shows you actually looked at their port.  I really like that you have a lot of variety of models and settings, or I like that you use different lighting that compliments the overall feel  And use their work as a reference. I like your picture of the lady in the green dress by the lake, and would like to shoot something similar, but maybe more of a vintage look.
Be honest.
Be reliable.
Respond to each question.
Show some interest in the result and process.
Ask questions related to your part.
    If you did all of the above most photographers would think you're a superstar.  You could fart loudly after every shot and they would not care a bit.

Oh yes, please! I hate when you know it's like a generic message to every photographer available...

Aug 31 15 11:27 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Eowyn Ebony wrote:

It really depends on what the shoot is, whether there are travel costs etc. By saying I discuss payment, I mean discussing whether it's going to be a TFP shoot, or if the photographer is going to be paid etc etc. However, if I'm looking to get paid, I won't tell the photographer how much I want to be paid in the first message, I'd rather see if the photographer wants to work with me first. I feel saying it in the first ever paragraph you write to a photographer is not only pretty rude, but cocky and puts across the wrong perception.

This is the one place where it might get a little tricky with what you are doing.  There are some recent threads about TF shoots that will give you some insight.  If you contact a photographer that you want to be paid by, and he thinks you are offering to do a TF, he may be somewhat ... annoyed with you.  Again, I suggest reading the forums and searching for threads about models getting paid. 

If you are approaching a really good photographer, who's work can help your port, then you should probably offer to do a trade or test with him/her.   If you are entering modeling for some income, then when you approach less experienced hobby photographers or the dreaded GWC (they are not the same thing), you should be up front about looking for paid work.  Bringing it later is kind of a bait and switch.  You should also be aware that there are some darn good non professional photographers on MM.  So, don't confuse professionals with quality or the lack thereof.

Another reason to be careful about who you do TF with, is the number of models who do not receive images timely or at all.  Again, reread some threads on it.  Many models use their first post to ask what to do when the photographer doesn't deliver.  Check with other models about anybody you are going to work with.

The forums are a really good tool if you use them wisely.

Sep 02 15 06:12 pm Link