Forums > Newbie Forum > The art of Scam Detection

Model

DTorresModel

Albany, New York, US

I was contacted via MM about a catalogue shoot and I've been emailing a casting director named Allen Coffey for Self Magazine about a commercial shoot for handbags, purses, and wallets. The pay is 200/hr which sounds realistic but I've never been a part of a paid shoot, or a catalogue shoot, so i'm not sure what the standard is. Though I believe this may be legit I would like some feedback on this one section of his email
"N.B - We'll be responsible for your hair do, lunch and transportation,
except for your wardrobe/costume that will be shipped to you directly
from a contracted Designer in charge. If you are selected you'll be
paid $200/hour of which advanced deposit of $400 shall be mailed
upfront to you to insure your engagement on the upcoming project with
us in line with our business ethics. Your wardrobe bills will not be
from your personal pocket, in view of this; you will not only receive
a certified paycheck of $400 but also with an extra amount that you
will use to pay for your wardrobe bills which you will forward to the
Designer in charge of your Wardrobe after processing the check along
with your measurements. The payment for your wardrobe and clothing
measurements has to be forwarded to the designer by you, reason being
that, the payment for your wardrobe has to be made or billed to your
Name/info as requested and acceptable business terms by the Designer,
to ensure
a tallied customization and label to be printed on your costumes.
Therefore, you must have an active Bank Account to deposit the check
you'll be receiving, all you need to do is to go to your Bank and
deposit the check yourself to your account to take care of your
wardrobe/costume bills and upfront payment. I hope this is clear?"

I've read about scams and that wiring money to people is a definite red flag, there is no talk of wiring money but directly paying the wardrobe person. I'd just like to get some answers about whether or not this is a normal thing because if this is not a scam it is a huge things for me to do this.
Also, people tell me to get references to avoid scams, do I just come right out and say can you send me your references? What is a reference?
Thank you for reading and I greatly appreciate your input!

Aug 22 15 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

DTorresModel wrote:
I was contacted via MM about a catalogue shoot and I've been emailing a casting director named Allen Coffey for Self Magazine about a commercial shoot for handbags, purses, and wallets. The pay is 200/hr which sounds realistic but I've never been a part of a paid shoot, or a catalogue shoot, so i'm not sure what the standard is. Though I believe this may be legit I would like some feedback on this one section of his email
Designer in charge of your Wardrobe after processing the check along
measurements has to be forwarded to the designer by you, reason being
to ensure

I've read about scams and that wiring money to people is a definite red flag, there is no talk of wiring money but directly paying the wardrobe person. I'd just like to get some answers about whether or not this is a normal thing because if this is not a scam it is a huge things for me to do this.
Also, people tell me to get references to avoid scams, do I just come right out and say can you send me your references? What is a reference?

As soon as you read "you will get a check with extra money that you will forward to the designer or any one else" RUN! RUN! RUN!

I have been doing catalog shoots, for many, many years, and non of the companies I have ever worked with work this way. NEVER WILL THEY FORWARD MONEY THE MODEL TO PAY SOMEONE ELSE!  NEVER!!!

There are many other red flags in that email, I could go on, but that one is enough.

Aug 22 15 10:08 am Link

Model

DTorresModel

Albany, New York, US

Thank you so much I'm a little disappointed but I knew it was too good to be true

Aug 22 15 10:11 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

DTorresModel wrote:
Thank you so much I'm a little disappointed but I knew it was too good to be true

I have had idiot trolls disagree with this but it is true. No real company pays in advance. PERIOD!!! Especially paying extra and trusting that you'll pass on the extra to someone else.

Aug 22 15 10:18 am Link

Photographer

MedievalIce

Ithaca, New York, US

Yes, certainly a scam. The other thing that should raise a red flag is that they send you money ahead of time to make sure that you'll show. That seems a bit strange, don't we usually pay people afterwards precisely to be sure that they show?

Aug 22 15 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

DTorresModel wrote:
Designer in charge of your Wardrobe
after processing the check along
measurements has to be forwarded to the designer by you
, reason being
to ensure

Fashion Models: By the Numbers

Avoiding Scams: The Basics
PM Flagging: A how-to guide
How to use Model Mayhem privacy options

Aug 22 15 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's always a scam when they say they are sending you money and want you to forward part of the money to someone else.  They send you a check that you cash and then you forward a portion of the proceeds.  A few days later you will find out that their check bounced and now you've lost the money you forwarded to someone else.

As mentioned, no one is going to pay you in advance for work you have yet to perform.

In addition, according to your profile you have "some experience".  No one is going to pay $200/hr to a model with "some experience".  If they are willing to pay $200/hr they can easily find a highly experienced model.  I'm not trying to insult you by saying this, but it's just reality.  A nationally known magazine would get models from an agency, they would not be looking on MM.

The bottom line is that if it seems to be too good to be true, it's not true.

In this instance you were given the name of a person and a magazine.  A simple call to the magazine would have allowed you to determine the validity of the message.

Aug 22 15 10:37 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

GER Photography wrote:
No real company pays in advance. PERIOD!!! .

I just did two event / paparazzi style gigs and got fully paid in advance twice this week.
Same with two other photographers that shot along with me.

There are many types of business transactions where being paid in advance (in whole or in part) is not only done, but is common.  The key to spotting a fraud is when they tell you to forward a portion of the money to someone else.  When that happens, it's a scam.

Aug 22 15 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

We're not special. Models and photographers are NOT the only people hit by scams. The matter is so prevalent that the U.S. Postal Service years ago put up a site explaining the mechanisms of scams and how to avoid them. http://www.fakechecks.org/

All the peripheral things, such as grammar, odd word choices, etc., are useless because what happens when a literate scammer attacks?

Check out the government site. It has all the info you need to detect the scams.

Aug 22 15 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

"you'll be paid $200/hour of which advanced deposit of $400 shall be mailed
upfront to you
to insure your engagement " ...= SCAM!!
Also, use logic. Out of the thousands of models with more experience than you, with "some experience", why would they seek you out?? Not to offend, just not logical!

Nigerian Scam

Read Filles de Pin-up's links,  as well.

Filles de Pin-up wrote:
Fashion Models: By the Numbers

Avoiding Scams: The Basics
PM Flagging: A how-to guide
How to use Model Mayhem privacy options

In future, don't give out you email, or reply to theirs, til you have confirmed something is legit. Yours may now be passed around to other scammers. Don't reply!

Aug 22 15 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Moderator Note!

DTorresModel wrote:

Please see this video and read the articles: 
Avoiding scams: The basics

Watch the video and read the article.

We try hard to educate members about what is out there on the internet and have a lot of material that should help you to identify these types of situations.

Aug 24 15 07:50 am Link

Model

Chad Shay

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

This sucks it got a similar email! From Jackson Graham...

Aug 24 15 10:33 am Link

Model

Naher

East Hampton, New York, US

Guys! I'm an idiot, because I did everything he told me. Now everything is fine.. Still. But I don't know what to do if his paycheck will bounce? Can I do something right now?! Help!

Aug 28 15 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

KathLuts wrote:
Guys! I'm an idiot, because I did everything he told me. Now everything is fine.. Still. But I don't know what to do if his paycheck will bounce? Can I do something right now?! Help!

Don't cash it and DON'T SEND ANY MONEY TO ANYONE ELSE!

If you already cashed the check deduct the amount that you deposited from the record and don't spend more than what's in the account, otherwise you'll get overdraft charges when the check bounces.

Notify the bank so if there's any penalties or fees associated with depositing a bad check they'll be more apt to waive the charges.

Aug 28 15 06:16 pm Link