Forums > Newbie Forum > Question about TF shoots

Model

Adelaide Anne

Waxahachie, Texas, US

I am not really a newbie to the site, but I do have a question.  I have only encountered this problem one time, so I believe it is the person's fault, not the shoot.  I did a shoot back in October that was TFP.  I have tried contacting the photographer several different times through several means, and it seems that he is ignoring my attempts to get in touch.  Is there any way I can report him or get my photos?

May 26 15 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Well, the popular "solution" is to create a "Not Recommended" list and put it on your profile.  But I would not recommend that.  tongue

Here's what I think you can do:
...  If asked for a reference for this photographer, you can tell your story.
...  You can tell your local model friends, who know & trust you, your story.
...  You don't have to work with this fellow again.
...  You may consider improving how you check references before agreeing to work with a photographer.

Do you have any documentation on your arrangement, one that includes the details of your compensation?  Do you have a copy of the model release you signed?

One final thought:  You can assume that your photographer will talk to every other photographer in the world -- what do you want him to say about you?  What will he say if you make trouble for him?  If you do find a way to "force" the guy to give you pictures, do you think you'll get his best post-production efforts?

No, I say, live & learn.  Be more selective in the future.

May 26 15 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

It's the photographer not the whole concept of TFP.  I only shoot trade and I've always given models photos, even if it's only just one.  However I have a very good photographer friend who has a bad habit of not giving photos to models when she feels the pictures aren't amazing. People still work with her as she doesn't do it constantly but I've had many girls complain about it to me and some refuse to work with her or are very cautious about it.

Really just move on and don't work with the person again and if someone asks about the photographer just tell them what happened.  Don't advertise that it happened on your page that just makes you look unprofessional.

May 26 15 09:48 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Everytime I read one of these, it's so evident that the model thinks there are these wonderful images from the TF* shoot that the photographer is just withholding from her. When in reality, the photos probably aren't very good and the photographer would be embarrassed to have them see the light of day. Not saying the photographer shouldn't just say that. But that's the risk of TFing around with beginning photographers on websites; the quality of their work is going to be completely hit and miss.

May 26 15 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Steve Arebalo

Orange, California, US

I shoot with many models from Model Mayhem. It is not unusual for them to complain that they have previously worked with a photographer who did not release images to them. It is irritating for a model/actor as they attempt to build a portfolio. I do agree with a previous comment that they may not like the pictures. Unfortunately, when working TF, that should be the decision of the model whether or not to display substandard images.

I release images a couple of ways. Either I take the model and Make Up Artist (MUA) to a local store and burn some pictures to a CD from my camera card for them to take home. Or I upload, that evening, the images to a website i.e. Photo Bucket or Drop Box, for viewing and/or use. The participants will choose, from the site, which images they want. They can or I will, edit the image for use and display. More often than not, they will directly download the image(s) from the site, edit and use them.

TF is intended to build an on-line portfolio while practicing aspects of their trade and/or hobby, The more you participate in the process, the better you will get at taking pictures, posing, etc... You need to meet and work with people to network.

This is a common hitch in the process. I hope my suggestions will help you in your future sessions.

May 26 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Steve Arebalo wrote:
TF is intended to build an on-line portfolio while practicing aspects of their trade and/or hobby, The more you participate in the process, the better you will get at taking pictures, posing, etc... You need to meet and work with people to network.

There are LOTS of reasons one might do TF, that is only one.

May 26 15 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Adelaide Anne wrote:
I am not really a newbie to the site, but I do have a question.  I have only encountered this problem one time, so I believe it is the person's fault, not the shoot.  I did a shoot back in October that was TFP.  I have tried contacting the photographer several different times through several means, and it seems that he is ignoring my attempts to get in touch.  Is there any way I can report him or get my photos?

He failed to take even one  sharp picture or deleted all the pictures by mistake.

Don't recommend that guy.

May 26 15 09:33 pm Link

Model

Adelaide Anne

Waxahachie, Texas, US

I appreciate all the advice and help, the only thing I can't seem to agree with is the concept that he didn't take great pictures.  This was the first studio shoot that I had done and it seemed that he put a great amount of effort into it, i.e. setting up green screen, perspective squares, several costumes, and props.  He seemed to be very competent in the things he was talking about and telling me.  Even if he didn't get any great shots and doesn't want to share bad shots with me, that would be fine, but I would really like to have a response.  I have not heard back from this photographer since the day of the shoot back in October.  It's just a little frustrating that it seems like he's avoiding my questions.

May 28 15 09:51 pm Link