Forums > Newbie Forum > cancelation fees ?

Photographer

Lenselooker

Brooklyn, New York, US

i recently had to cancel a scheduled shhot w a model .my mother went into the hospital out of town and i went to see her.i informed the model a week before the sceduled shoot {last thurs.,for a shoot this wed.} She is demanding a 50% cancelation fee ! Does this sound fair ? Pls be honest.
Brian

May 23 15 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Lenselooker wrote:
i recently had to cancel a scheduled shhot w a model .my mother went into the hospital out of town and i went to see her.i informed the model a week before the sceduled shoot {last thurs.,for a shoot this wed.} She is demanding a 50% cancelation fee ! Does this sound fair ? Pls be honest.
Brian

Was there any discussion of a cancellation fee prior to the shoot?

I would be more sympathetic to paying a traveling model than to paying a local model.

Fair?  Did the model incur any costs, special wardrobe for example?

ETA:
Here are the cancelation policies of three models with whom I have worked:
50% cancellation fee 1 week prior. 100% cancellation fee within 72 hours.
cancellation fee within 3 days, 7 days if traveling.
100% due within 72 hours. 50% due within a week.

May 23 15 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

altSWANK

Maplewood, New Jersey, US

Sounds more than fair to me.  A weeks notice...that's more than most people would ever give and under the circumstances, she should be more understanding.

To be honest, most people ignore cancellation fees when models demand them.  I know several models who have flaked on photographers yet have cancellation fees/ notices on their profile page on MM. 

Ignore and move on.

May 23 15 12:15 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

I don't enforce cancellation fees myself for freelance assignments (too much of a hassle), but I could see that being reasonable if:
-She was traveling
-You had booked the shoot a long time ago (like over a month), and she's been holding that date for you all this time

On the other hand, you have an understandable, legitimate reason to need to cancel.  Unfortunately, models get the "death/illness in the family" message a lot too, and it's not always true.

May 23 15 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Random thoughts, random order:

...  There is no such thing as a standard agreement.  Terms vary greatly from photographer to photographer
     and from model to model.

...  However, in my mind, experienced professionals make sure that all the terms of an agreement are
     discussed & documented before the parties agree to work together.  That goes to both the model and
     the photographer.

...  I tend to believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  I make efforts to avoid dramas like
     this.

...  "Cancellation Fees"?  How can this be enforced?

...  If it were me, I might politely state...
     ---  If true, I'd point out that we didn't discuss or agree on a cancellation policy.
     ---  I'd also point out that a full week's notice should have been ample.
     ---  To be clear, you'll decline her request for a cancellation fee.

...  I also like to pretend that every model I meet will in turn talk with every other potential model in the world.
     I know that flippant remarks are popular nowadays, but at the very least, I would strive to keep the
     discussions civil & constructive.

Best of luck.

May 23 15 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

Lenselooker wrote:
She is demanding a 50% cancelation fee ! Does this sound fair ?

Being fair has nothing to do with it.

The point is that she is demanding a 50% cancellation.

May 23 15 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

what does the contract say? no contract? then what was discussed verbally or by email/text? if there was no mention of a cancellation fee prior to the shoot then it seems unfair to just suddenly pull that out. but if you like the model and feel bad about having to cancel you could offer to pay something for the inconvenience. or offer to reschedule.

i have been in this situation once with a high-profile MUA so i share your pain.

May 23 15 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Irwin Photographics

Tampa, Florida, US

Lenselooker wrote:
Brian

You gave a weeks notice so she should have been able to schedule another shoot easily.

Again, It all depends on your contracts or agreements.

If there was no contracts or agreements, I think you were fair in communicating with her at least a week ahead of time. I had a model text me the night before then flake out the next morning. Nothing worse than showing up for a shoot and the model bails with no communication AT ALL.

May 23 15 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Ive heard of models, especially traveling models, charge a cancelation fee if you cancel day-of shoot and they cannot rebook. They should have their cancellation policies of their profile page. Normally there is no legal recourse to collect the fees, but models talk, and if you have a habit of canceling you might find it hard to book shoots after a little bit.

May 25 15 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Lenselooker

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thanks all.She had a 50% cancelation fee on her page,but no time mentioed.I would think a week is fair.She is in Phil.,and can drive to NYC in 2 hrs.

May 26 15 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Technically cancellation fees aren't even legal in every state, but 1 weeks notice is more than enough time.

May 26 15 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

altSWANK

Maplewood, New Jersey, US

OP, she probably figures you're new and don't know any better.  If you buckle at the knees and pay her fee, that's actually a double- win for her.

I read your recent casting call:  $150.-$250.an hr. if topless- 1/2 day shoot
God, models are going to swim around you like sharks because you're paying more than anybody else in NYC does.  I'll bet she senses you're an easy mark.

May 26 15 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I know who is the smart one here, and wonder if you do as well

May 26 15 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

There are models and then there are "models" if she is a professional full-time traveling model and her port states her rules on cancellations and you have broken those rules, she might be entitled to something. If, on the other hand, she is some newbe young thing that heard about cancellation fees somewhere and is trying to get sumfin fer nutting, tell her to Buggeroff!!!

May 26 15 06:18 pm Link