Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Metallic gold body paint?

Photographer

Geoff Jones

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Hello, I am after a highly metallic gold body paint. I need it to be highly metallic/shiny/reflective.
This is an example of the finish I want to achieve:
http://www.ilovebodyart.com/wp-content/ … inting.jpg
http://ongoingpro.com/wp-content/upload … 60x872.jpg

This is an example of what i DO NOT want: [NSFW 18+]
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 … 0702cc.jpg

I realize a lot of it will depend on the lighting used.
Can anyone recommend the best product?

Thanks!

May 16 15 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Find out what was used in the movie Goldfinger.

May 17 15 06:22 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Google  --->       mehron metallic powder

The added "gloss" can be helped with suitable wax, oil, or body butter - polishing with something smooth (jar?) helps to some degree, directional lighting and post processing to some degree. (light use of "plastic wrap" effect)

May 17 15 11:35 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

The liquid, high shine is done with cosmetic powder (like Mehron) mixed with canola oil (or similar). Very pretty, but VERY messy. Advise drop cloths galore.

May 17 15 12:09 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

What Lisa said. Be aware of potential fire hazzards with oils.

Realize that it requires constant vigilance and touch ups.

Realize that traces WILL be found throughout the studio for a long time.

Realize that if you apply it yourself....you will be finding powder and/or oil/powder mix on anything you touch (especially camera gear).

Consider hiring someone who has done it before.... it is not as simple as it might seem.

May 22 15 04:18 am Link

May 27 15 11:46 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Facebook groups are populated by a lot of bodypaint experts.... many of which are members of Model Mayhem as well.
2 of which have already contributed to this thread.

A Search here on MM is also helpful as this topic comes up on a regular basis.

May 27 15 05:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sarah Balanoff Beauty

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

This stuff is the best. Hands down.

http://www.graftobian.com/Cosmetic-Powd … c_196.html

May 31 15 09:30 am Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

If I may make a cleanup suggestion...
As a model in an art installation by Nix Herrera, I & many others were painted in oil/metallic powder combinations. For cleanup, start with old, dry towels & towel off as much as possible before moving on to baby wipes, shower, etc.

Jun 13 15 01:56 pm Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Both Mehron and Graftobian have metallic powders which are just great.  Here is a link to a handout on how to use these special powders.

http://www.extrememakeupfx.com/The-Pain … powder.htm

Jul 22 15 09:18 am Link

Model

konstmodell

Lund, Skåne, Sweden

Sweet Loretta wrote:
Both Mehron and Graftobian have metallic powders which are just great.  Here is a link to a handout on how to use these special powders.

http://www.extrememakeupfx.com/The-Pain … powder.htm

If it is zero dollars in price a direct link to the file will be better.
I'd love to see it but going through a big e-shop checkout and personal info process is too much.

Oct 15 16 06:11 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Geoff Jones wrote:
I realize a lot of it will depend on the lighting used.
Can anyone recommend the best product?

While I'm 100% sure that the recommendations that you get for which makeup to use are completely accurate, I would like to chime in and say that not not only is the proper lighting important, but also the proper camera set up (and/or post production).  The settings are probably just as important as the type of makeup used.

I run the photo studio for what's probably the only body painting company in the USA (meaning we have many body painters, MUAs and hair stylists in a commercial building).  I've recently done a few shoots where the model was painted in gold (and a few shoots with silver, too).

I've discovered that when a model is photographed with studio strobes with the white balance set appropriately, the body paint  looks very accurate, but most people looking at the photo will think it's kind of dull and boring because to the human eye it's more like a bright brown color.  The final color can easily appear totally different simply by adjusting the kelvin temperature (color balance) a small amount toward red making the gold color something that technically may not be accurate but is something that most people can identify with.

If you're shooting silver, the photographer will probably want to change the color balance from neutral to slightly blue.  Leaving the color balance at neutral will usually give the viewer perception that the model is painted white or a shade of gray.

Higher contrast and accentuated whites (in camera setings or post production) will also give more of the chrome-like shine that it seems that you're looking for.

Oct 15 16 12:11 pm Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Thanks for the photo tips. Lighting on these and most metallics requires attention.

I use Metallic Powders A Lot!  I rarely use oil.  It is messy and does not provide as nice of coverage or sheen as Mixing Liquid.  And yes, my free handout requires you go through my store.  Oh well. A choice one will make to forego or get years of my professional and experience on tips and tricks for using Metallic Powders in body art and extreme makeup. Given I am hired to teach entire classes on Metallic Powders, it a deal!

Nov 25 16 05:23 pm Link

Dec 10 16 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

I'm not an expert, but the Mehron powder has worked well for me using as little olive oil as possible to make the paint as opaque as possible. I also found that a tub of wet wipes worked far better than anything else for removal from the skin afterward. With oil, it is fugitive and will get on everything the model touches.

Feb 09 17 05:33 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Feb 09 17 07:54 am Link