Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > How can I improve this

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sacramento, California, US

I like the edit, but I'd like your opinion on what I could do better.

https://i.imgur.com/XblF1YZ.gif

Feb 23 15 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I like what you've done here, but there are a few things the raised contrast exposes.
The cheeks show as slightly mottled to me and the small amount of hair on camera
left goes very dark and seems a little hot contrast wise to me.

Do you use help layers?, that might assist for D&B

Feb 26 15 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Motordrive Photography wrote:
I like what you've done here, but there are a few things the raised contrast exposes.
The cheeks show as slightly mottled to me and the small amount of hair on camera
left goes very dark and seems a little hot contrast wise to me.

Do you use help layers?, that might assist for D&B

Hmm, I don't see the mottled bits on the cheek, I may have to apply a help layer if they look splotchy to you.

Feb 26 15 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Sennia Kyle

Seattle, Washington, US

Yep, the after shot brings up some blotchiness in the cheeks that could be easily fixed with dodging and burning. And I agree about the hair on the left going too dark. Otherwise it looks good.

*edited to add: for what it's worth, cutting off her chin creates the illusion that her neck might be stumpy. And was her right arm lifted? The bunched up sweater to the left is distracting. I realize that is a posing/composition issue and not what you were asking about, but maybe darkening that sweater down so that the eye isn't dragged over to it would be good.

Feb 28 15 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sennia Kyle wrote:
Yep, the after shot brings up some blotchiness in the cheeks that could be easily fixed with dodging and burning. And I agree about the hair on the left going too dark. Otherwise it looks good.

*edited to add: for what it's worth, cutting off her chin creates the illusion that her neck might be stumpy. And was her right arm lifted? The bunched up sweater to the left is distracting. I realize that is a posing/composition issue and not what you were asking about, but maybe darkening that sweater down so that the eye isn't dragged over to it would be good.

I think comp is still an important thing to watch for while editing. You are correct that her arm was propped up, and now that you mention it, I do see that the shirt is a bit bright and eye catching.

Mar 01 15 07:56 am Link