Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Beginner asking fo critique

Retoucher

KitanaZ

Warsaw, Mazowieckie, Poland

Hello.
I'm collecting photos for my folio, but I've got few already.
Please tell me what u think about my work. Is there something over done, or not completed, what are my mistakes etc.
I'm beginner, so any advice will be helpfull.

Link to pf www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3521966/

Oct 24 14 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Hi Katy,

I like the collection of images you have in your port.  Your port feels like good quality and is attractive. You have already done some good work and made some great choices.   You are making a great first start. 

The only thing that seems to stand out to me across many images is a slight over sharpening of the hair... with a radius that may be a bit high.  Good sharpening...but if it were pulled back 20 units of layer opacity...that might help me some.  Its a matter of choice and judgement...and for me... the amount and radius are just a bit high.  It causes me to look at the hair separately because it is so strong.  Overall: If the sharpening were a bit less and a bit more balanced with the rest of the image...then it would not stand out and draw attention to itself.

I also noticed maybe a small tendency to over soften some of the skin areas...often around the mouth and nose area.  Again its a matter of judgement and opacity level setting.  The softening is the correct color and placement...but it might be just a bit overly smooth and more opaque than it needs to be in these small areas.  Overall: The rest of the face and the bodies seem to be pretty nice looking with well balanced skin smoothing...But... these stronger areas stand out and attract attention to themselves because they are stronger and more opaque than the other areas. The other areas of skin smoothing are nicely done...the mouth and nose areas are a bit over strong.

For my taste...if you pulled your hair sharpening and skin softening strength down just maybe 20 units...then these areas would blend better with the whole of the picture... and not draw attention away from other important areas.  The whole image would be unified at the same levels...and no areas would stand out as being over done.

Your overall beginner quality is VERY GOOD to start with.  You have good promise and good taste and a like for quality.  Very nice starting portfolio.

Keep developing and learning and practicing.  Produce many more images so you grow through many different experiences.  God Speed in what you do!

Oct 26 14 10:18 am Link