Forums > Photography Talk > what do you regret buying for gear?

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
Although I could give you a list as long as your arm of cameras, lenses and camera gear I have regretted buying, the one camera at the top of my list would be the Leica M3.

I realise in the hands of a master, the Leica rangefinder cameras can be wonderful but in my hands not really.  I don’t have those sort of hands.

I think I got off to a bad start when I went to the Leica UK’s headquarters for a days induction course and I realised what a dreadful bunch of snobs the Leica people and some of the owners are.  I didn’t ever want to be like that myself so I was negatively disposed to the Leica right from the off.

The 1.4 Summilux lens was wonderful but the 90mm Summicron was IMHO way too heavy for such a light body.

I know some Leica M series users reckon they can almost instantly change films, one handed, in the dark (and often under fire) but I never could.  For me, every film put through that camera took me twice as long as one with any of my Nikons and I usually could not spare that time.

I think the only way I could have learned to love the M3 was to use it and only it and to forget everything else.

I realize this says far more about me than the equipment but, embarrassingly, I have to admit that I prefer my Canon s100 to my Leica M3.

This reminded me of a day I was in Boston, Massachusetts (USA).
I was carrying my brand new Nikon D2X bodies, with lenses.
A guy with a Leica walked by, stopped, looked me up and down, then said in the most SNOBBISH, annoying, tone... "Nikon, Really? Not up to the pro standard yet are we?"
Then he walked off

Sep 21 14 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Rebus Imagery

Kailua, Hawaii, US

"Regret" might be too strong a word but I have strong emotions about every speedlite I've purchased that didn't have a Li-Ion battery!

Sep 23 14 12:23 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

Rebus Imagery wrote:
"Regret" might be too strong a word but I have strong emotions about every speedlite I've purchased that didn't have a Li-Ion battery!

+1

Sep 23 14 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

HHSubMission

Denver, Colorado, US

Locutus wrote:

This reminded me of a day I was in Boston, Massachusetts (USA).
I was carrying my brand new Nikon D2X bodies, with lenses.
A guy with a Leica walked by, stopped, looked me up and down, then said in the most SNOBBISH, annoying, tone... "Nikon, Really? Not up to the pro standard yet are we?"
Then he walked off

I was shooting migrating swans on the Mississippi River near Minneapolis several years ago.  I was shooting with my Canon 7D, Canon 500mm f4, and a Wimberly gimbal head mounted on a carbon fiber tripod.  A woman shooting with a hand held  leased Canon 5D MkII (in a tone similar to what you described) informed me that if I knew what I was doing, I would have leased better equipment like she had.  Then she walked off before I could recover from her sudden and unexpected sarcastic remarks.  I can only assume that walking off immediately after delivering sarcastic comments is a necessary part of the artful delivery of a put down.

Snobs come in all brands and flavors.

Sep 23 14 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

clawrence1234

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

that 50 prime it takes nice pics but you have less space and i have the 1.8f wish it was the 1.2f

Sep 23 14 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

BGF

New York, New York, US

clawrence1234 wrote:
that 50 prime it takes nice pics but you have less space and i have the 1.8f wish it was the 1.2f

Odd - I regret buying the F1.2 prime when I could have paid way less for a f1.8 that less heavy :-).

Sep 23 14 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

BGF

New York, New York, US

All the tungsten and daylight film balancing screw on filters - like 85B etc..
Waste of money, a matte box and square glass/gel is so much better.

Sep 23 14 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Locutus wrote:
Anything?

OPUSE LIGHT

Sep 23 14 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

HHSubMission

Denver, Colorado, US

I generally over think most large purchases.  I seldom acquire new expensive gear when it is first released.  I have a closet full of accessories that I seldom or never use.  None of the little stuff was expensive, but all together it might have been enough to make a down payment on a new 7D mk II.  I was going to wait a while to buy one anyway.

Sep 23 14 07:01 pm Link