Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Eyelash Extensions

Model

Nym Faea

San Francisco, California, US

I've seen them around a bit, and I just met a model friend who has them and love them. What do the pros here say? Are they worthwhile? Any drawbacks worth mentioning?

I'm considering them because I have stupidly sensitive eyes. I actually posted here a while ago, and found out that I'm not being a wimp or doing anything wrong, but sometimes eyelashes do not agree with me. If my eye gets irritated, it will start to tear, and sometimes the skin of the eyelid forms a barrier that allows nothing to stick to it - eyeliner (liquid or pencil), powders, and most importantly, eyelashes. My left eye has been doing this for almost this entire week, while I've been on the road and shooting every day. It's beyond obnoxious and unprofessional. Many things can trigger it, and I haven't found any technique to calm it down. Extensions seem like a viable alternative.

Mar 21 14 01:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Extensions are adhered with a type of glue that I can't imagine your eyes would be okay with if even eye makeup is intolerable. I always roll my eyes internally when a model has extensions because they are something I have to work around and that just get in the way; and most of all I have yet to see a pair that don't look fake or are done really well. They just don't look real, period. They also mean you can't use eye makeup remover or wash your face properly, no emollient products (like eye cream) on the eye because it will break down the glue holding them on. Waste of money. I'd focus more on pinpointing the specific ingredient irritating your eyes so you can avoid it. It's more likely in my experience to be a common ingredient than it is that all makeup causes a reaction.

Mar 21 14 01:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I totally concur with Dani B...  tenured wisdom here...

btw, the glue used for most eyelash extensions contains formaldehyde... not good stuff

Here's a a lit' article on possible Health Risks associated with eyelash extensions...

Your eye sight is precious... protect it, k?

All the best on your journey...

Mar 23 14 07:41 am Link

Hair Stylist

Keila Sone

Harrison, New Jersey, US

Totally agree with above,it such pain even if your not allergic to the glue,you cant really wash your eyes and yes its look fate as hell,my friend had them done and all everyone could do is stare at her fake lashes,I perfer to see girl mascara crumps.

Mar 23 14 10:55 am Link

Model

Nym Faea

San Francisco, California, US

Ew. Uck. My goodness. Well I'm glad I asked!

Thank you oh so much! Glad I dodged that bullet.

Mar 25 14 02:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monica Caplan Makeup

Utica, New York, US

Eyelash extensions may not be for some, but it should not be deterred because of "health risks".  The key is to investigate before you let them near your eyes. 
A. There is at least 100 times the amount of formaldehyde in Gerber's Baby Wash as there is in eyelash extension glue, that is measurable, it may be more but the trace amount is so small in GOOD quality lash extension glue that it is not traceable.  Elmer's school glue is another one with at least 30 x the amount. 
Just to put it into perspective. 
The key is to find a qualified CERTIFIED eyelash extension technician who can show you the amount of training and what it consisted of before getting lashes done.  Also be sure their credentials are up to date and ASK questions and research the products they use.  A good lash tech would give you any answers and have nothing to hide.  Also ask to see examples of their work, don't just go by their website which may be filled with just stock photos.  This is all just my opinion and experience with eyelash extensions, but I may be partial to them because I wear them and also do them.  I hope this info helps anyone who reads this forum and I'd be happy to answer any questions on the subject.

Apr 16 16 12:40 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

OK, stupid question:  What is the difference between applying individual lashes and lash extensions?  Am I missing something here?  R-

Apr 16 16 03:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monica Caplan Makeup

Utica, New York, US

rick lesser wrote:
OK, stupid question:  What is the difference between applying individual lashes and lash extensions?  Am I missing something here?  R-

Not a stupid question, it can be very confusing,

There are strip lashes-  applied with strip glue that is a flexible adhesive (comes in transparent and dark) and isn't recommended for more than a days wear (great for photo shoots, weddings, some people even wear them daily) - difficult to apply to yourself at first but practice makes perfect! A lot of MUA's can apply them on clients with ease getting as close to lashline as possible. (I use a toothpick as my secret weapon!) Lining with liquid liner on top can help ensure no gap between which can make them look super obvious. MUA's can get a discount on bulk quantities through companies like lash in a box and naimes and many others.  You can use strip lash glue for cluster lashes, but not the other way around, only strip glue can be used for strip lashes.

Fan lashes, AKA clusters, sometimes referred to as individuals - are little fan lashes (multiple lashes in a v shape)OR single thick lashes  that are applied with a transparent glue (in small round glass bottle) sold in most pharmacies and beauty supplies, I have only used the transparent one and its perfect for clients wanting just the flirty look with fan lashes and can get a few days wear out of them. You can use a couple of clusters trimmed to blend well with their natural lash line, or straight across and then trim them to blend as you get closer to the nose. (for a wide eyed look, you can have the longest in the middle rather than a cat eye, and line waterline with a nude or white liner, love this look with lashes, very clean and naturally stunning imo)  It is important to know that the single lashes sold in most pharmacies are not light enough or meant for long term wear, or use with the semi permanent individual eyelash EXTENSION glue, they are too heavy and can damage the natural eyelash.  I actually know a few people who have gone to nail salons looking for "eyelash extensions" that they advertised in blinking lights in the windows, only to have fan lashes globbed in glue set onto their own eyelashes, which ended up being waaaaay too heavy for their natural lashes and eyelids to hold on a daily basis and in turn their lashes were ripped out.  Thank god hair grows MOST OF the time...  beware of this same misunderstanding. 
I know it is soo confusing, I'd be happy to help with any questions.

Individual Eyelash extensions-  Individual eyelashes are one-by-one attached about 2 mm up away from the lid directly onto each individual eyelash making sure NONE of the lashes are glued together.  They do require a special adhesive and they do require a commitment from the client but are virtually undetectable and can be swam in, slept on, worn through a tsunami, you name it.   They should only be done by an MUA, esthetician, cosmetologist, who has been through a specialized training course and is certified in how apply these, a certified lash technician or stylist.  The glue is a medical grade surgical glue, the type used to suture wounds. I have used quite a few glues and know which ones seeeem great, but ended up being sh**t and have a couple personal fave's through wasting lots of money and time. Anyhow,  The tech will have a consult with the client and evaluate the condition of their lashes and determine a safe weight of lash. (there are many lengths, weights, diameters, colors, shapes to choose from) so based of the clients desired outcome and the condition of their current lashes, you can custom design the perfect lashes for them.  The glue holds a bond from 4-6 weeks and based on the lifestyle of the client can be worn indefinitely with regular fills (like when acrylic nails grow out)
I think they only look their best for the first 3 weeks but after that, the growth of the natural eyelashes can make the extensions look a little gypsy like... Anyhow I hope this helps you!

Apr 21 16 01:30 am Link

Model

MarlyKat

Norman, Oklahoma, US

I wear strip eyelashes, but I'm not too sure about extensions. My friend got some once and when she got them removed, something happened and they had to rip them off or something. Well, after whatever it was they had to do, her eyelids were really puffy and swollen. It looked painful and I don't think I'll ever have that done.

May 03 16 08:12 pm Link