Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Need some help writing your model bio?

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Stumped by what to write about yourself in your model bio? Maybe you have a good one but think it needs some more punch? I'd love to help spark some inspiration to come up with something great!

------

Here's a sister thread to this one: https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=852462

Dec 17 12 11:50 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

Perceptive Portraits wrote:
Stumped by what to write about yourself in your model bio? Maybe you have a good one but think it needs some more punch? I'd love to help spark some inspiration to come up with something great!

------

Here's a sister thread to this one: https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=852462

This sounds fun, any ideas for me?

Dec 17 12 01:26 pm Link

Model

_eMMe_

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Oh yes, please. My english is not so good and it's hard to write something decent. In Italian I'm a quite good writer and it SO frustrating to be unable to express myself in english...

Dec 17 12 01:32 pm Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

------

I am so lost on my bio...

third person writing was creative crap, additions of the same information twice isn't working well, a non-retouched photo is about the ONLY thing working in my bio...less credits/affiliations/published links...

I know I inquired before and I did what I could but...

HELP!!

ps- I HATE writing about myself hmm

Dec 17 12 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Autumn Rose Brightly wrote:
This sounds fun, any ideas for me?

Hi, Autumn. I remember reading your bio in the past and liking it. I still do. smile You have a good backbone for your bio; digging deeper might give it a boost.

I'd take out the first line  (after the quote, I like quotes smile) and get right to why you're really here: "I am a curvy girl who wants to teach women to embrace their shape by being a role model for others like me."

Dec 17 12 03:18 pm Link

Model

Love_mya

Rockbank, Victoria, Australia

I just changed my bio recently and would love some feedback or anything there that might be confusing, i want to stamp out confusion!

Dec 17 12 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

_eMMe_ wrote:
Oh yes, please. My english is not so good and it's hard to write something decent. In Italian I'm a quite good writer and it SO frustrating to be unable to express myself in english...

Emme,

Don't worry, I think I understand what you are trying to say in your profile. Let's pump it up a little.

Maybe something like...

"I am an actress, stylist, and model who has worked many years in fashion, theater, and cinema. I seek to collaborate with other professionals to create interesting, artistic, and unique projects. You can contact me not only for modeling but also for styling and art direction. I'm glad to collaborate with photographers to develop their ideas and themes in creative ways."

Does that sound a little more like what you want to say?

Dec 17 12 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Melodye Joy wrote:
I am so lost on my bio...

third person writing was creative crap, additions of the same information twice isn't working well, a non-retouched photo is about the ONLY thing working in my bio...less credits/affiliations/published links...

I know I inquired before and I did what I could but...

HELP!!

ps- I HATE writing about myself hmm

Don't give up, Melodye! Let me think about it for a little while and I'll get back to you.

Dec 17 12 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Love_mya wrote:
I just changed my bio recently and would love some feedback or anything there that might be confusing, i want to stamp out confusion!

Wow! Yours is a long one. Before I jump in, is your current profile working for you? Are you getting the kind of work you like or are the inquiries made to you not what you really want to do? Knowing this helps me give you better feedback. smile

Dec 17 12 10:53 pm Link

Model

Love_mya

Rockbank, Victoria, Australia

Wow! Yours is a long one. Before I jump in, is your current profile working for you? Are you getting the kind of work you like or are the inquiries made to you not what you really want to do? Knowing this helps me give you better feedback. smile

Yes..because it will stamp out the GWC and those that are serious about creating some really intense artistic images... I have only changed it in last few days, Before the change, most photographers were confused about the sort of images i do-all my shots are implied erotic, explicit images (whatever anyone wants to call it) ..does that help?

Dec 18 12 06:29 am Link

Model

Leone P

Batley, England, United Kingdom

I could definitely use some help!

Leone P

Xx

Dec 19 12 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Don't give up, Melodye! Let me think about it for a little while and I'll get back to you.

Okay, Melodye, I think I have a few simple things to help. It might be long but I hope you find it helpful. Before you try to rewrite anything, try to think of your bio in these terms...

1) Networking is important as a model and professional, absolutely no doubt about that. However, nobody is going to leaf through all of your sites to find out what is different, if anything, between each one. Just remember that if someone is reading your profile here on this site, you don't want them to wander into so many sites that they might not come back. My suggestion is to keep it simple. List your static site (melodyejoy.com, where your bio and body specs live) and include the ones with the freshest updates (likely Facebook and Twitter) and take out the rest.

2) First impressions are important. Introducing yourself before listing your work history warms up the cold facts to come. Something like this could do the trick: "I'm a girl with a die hard work ethic and do my best to rocket any idea thrown at me into orbit. I have split teeth and a lisp but I'm not afraid to smile or shout out words like "success" just because they're hard." (I'm making this up as I go so it might sound a little wild--I'm just trying to get you thinking.)

(Side note..."toe headed" is actually "towheaded". Seeing your pictures and what you look like I would never compare you to a toe. smile).

3) Publications. It's very, very important to demonstrate your experience and past work; however, it's also important not to scare away a potential client with every single gig. I suggest picking the ones that demonstrate your diversity best, listing those on MM and making the full list available on your website. That way a curious client still has full access to all the details if they want to look deeper.

Here's how I imagine a successful profile, structured in the way you've already established, to go...

Introduction
Image of your current self
Expertise
Invitation to contact you
Anything else you want to share

In my opinion, the shorter the better. Potential clients really just want to get a feel for who you are (via your profile), how you might be to work with (maybe a brief comment from a previous client), and what kind of results they can hope to achieve (your portfolio).

I hope I didn't overwhelm you. If you do make any changes I'd love to read your bio again. Don't give up! I'm sure you'll do great. smile

Best regards,

Wendy

Dec 22 12 11:25 pm Link

Model

_eMMe_

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Emme,

Don't worry, I think I understand what you are trying to say in your profile. Let's pump it up a little.

Maybe something like...

"I am an actress, stylist, and model who has worked many years in fashion, theater, and cinema. I seek to collaborate with other professionals to create interesting, artistic, and unique projects. You can contact me not only for modeling but also for styling and art direction. I'm glad to collaborate with photographers to develop their ideas and themes in creative ways."

Does that sound a little more like what you want to say?

Thanks, it sounds good smile I'll be glad to add something more, if you will help me.

Dec 23 12 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

_eMMe_ wrote:

Thanks, it sounds good smile I'll be glad to add something more, if you will help me.

Sure! What else do you want to say?

Dec 23 12 08:24 am Link

Model

_eMMe_

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I'll be glad to translate the biography I use in italy. It's not exactly a bio, but I think it give a clear idea of myself. But it's really hard to translate, because it's all made of literary quote and I have no idea how to do it in english.
For the moment I'll be glad to add something about the kind of shots I prefere, that are figure, artistic nudes and some kind of fashion.

Dec 23 12 11:43 am Link

Model

Beth Chambers

London, England, United Kingdom

Anything you think I should change? smile

Dec 23 12 04:32 pm Link

Model

Christina Sanchez

Shirley, New York, US

I'm up for sugestions

Dec 23 12 04:40 pm Link

Model

Acanthus Tattoos

Union, New Jersey, US

I'd like some feedback on my bio, thanks!

Dec 23 12 10:10 pm Link

Model

Cristal Bell

Newport News, Virginia, US

Help away! I do appreciate other creative suggestion

Dec 24 12 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Beth Chambers wrote:
Anything you think I should change? smile

Your bio is clear and to the point. I wouldn't change a thing. smile

Apr 22 13 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Christina Sanchez wrote:
I'm up for sugestions

(Whistles) Your opening paragraph overwhelmed me with data. I suggest trying something like this instead:

My name is Christina and I have a passion for fashion, getting in front of the camera and testing my limits.

The rest of the info about your backstory is interesting but if you really do want to keep in there I suggest hard core summarization. Simpler is always better for a bio, as you want people to spend more time looking at your portfolio than reading your life story.

Good luck!

Apr 22 13 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Acanthus Tattoos wrote:
I'd like some feedback on my bio, thanks!

"my tattoos are leafy and somewhat inspired by the style of leaves on stone carvings on old buildings"

^ I love this line! I think it should be part of your opener.

"My tattoos are leafy and inspired by the style of leaves on stone carvings on old buildings, which are as majestic and timeless as the images I like to create."

Apr 22 13 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Cristal Bell wrote:
Help away! I do appreciate other creative suggestion

You need a good opener. How about something like...

"My body is my canvas, and I was recently crowned the MISS TENNESSEE TATTOO 2013."

Apr 22 13 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Anyone else interested in a nudge in the right direction?

Apr 22 13 11:14 pm Link

Model

Scarlett de la Calle

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Oh god please do! I never know what to write for these things and I know mine personally sucks!

Apr 22 13 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Scarlett de la Calle wrote:
Oh god please do! I never know what to write for these things and I know mine personally sucks!

Your bio isn't all bad, just be more specific.

"Looking for a model with muscle definition and grace? I'm your girl. My style is to flow from pose to pose to make artistic images. TFP will only be accepted if your style helps me reach my goal."

Something like that.

Apr 23 13 07:10 am Link

Model

winking_wonder

New York, New York, US

Sure, I was told I need to add some more of my personality to my bio!

Apr 23 13 07:17 am Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I could use some help

Apr 23 13 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

winking_wonder wrote:
Sure, I was told I need to add some more of my personality to my bio!

Actually I thought your bio had plenty of personality to it. You include pertinent details and have organized your thoughts well. There are a few sentences that feel a little long but that's probably just how you talk, and since the rest of your bio matches your "voice" it doesn't distract me. My only suggestion, and this is being nitpicky, is to shorten the longest sentence in your first paragraph so it's not so run-on. You have a lovely avatar by the way. smile

Apr 24 13 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Danielle Reid wrote:
I could use some help

You start with this:
"Hello everyone! My name is Danielle and I'm 23 years old. I've never been the type to just ramble on about myself so I'll give it a try. For starters I want to be a model...."

...And by now I've moved on to your portfolio or another profile. You need a good opener. 

Tell me something I can't find anywhere else on your profile. Your second paragraph, the one that starts with, "Yes, my hair is red..." is a great way to begin. Just taking out that first paragraph makes it better already! 

I hope this helps. 

Apr 24 13 07:01 am Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

Sounds fun let me know big_smile

Apr 24 13 07:26 am Link

Model

winking_wonder

New York, New York, US

Actually I thought your bio had plenty of personality to it. You include pertinent details and have organized your thoughts well. There are a few sentences that feel a little long but that's probably just how you talk, and since the rest of your bio matches your "voice" it doesn't distract me. My only suggestion, and this is being nitpicky, is to shorten the longest sentence in your first paragraph so it's not so run-on. You have a lovely avatar by the way. smile

Thank you so much!

Apr 24 13 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Cynthia Serrano  wrote:
Sounds fun let me know big_smile

Hello my fellow MMer's! Thank you for checking out my page!
Here is a little info about myself I am very easy going, kinda
goofy tongue and extremely professional. See below for references.
I am looking for paid work however I will consider very selective TFP.
Please contact me for rates.

*I am currently unavailable to shoot until further notice*

Your intro is informative but not super exciting--not that it has to be, this is just for fun so I'll give you an exaggerated response. smile

Maybe you could try being creative with the specifics. Any time someone reads about how a model is interested in TF*, like it or not their mind wanders to what they can get for free. You might help them out by saying what kind of TF you're willing to consider. So many people say stuff like "I'm willing to do TF only if it contributes to my portfolio" and to that I say "any work you do will 'contribute' to your portfolio." I uploaded a picture; tada! I added to my portfolio.

You could set yourself apart by saying something like, "I will consider TFP for any shoots that include but are not limited to jumping out of planes (yes, plural), swinging from bungee cords (also plural), and/or other creative ideas that tickle my fancy."

Kind of out there but at least you'd get someone's attention. smile Hope you come back to modeling soon, your portfolio is lovely.

Apr 24 13 09:16 pm Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Hello my fellow MMer's! Thank you for checking out my page!
Here is a little info about myself I am very easy going, kinda
goofy tongue and extremely professional. See below for references.
I am looking for paid work however I will consider very selective TFP.
Please contact me for rates.

*I am currently unavailable to shoot until further notice*

Your intro is informative but not super exciting--not that it has to be, this is just for fun so I'll give you an exaggerated response. smile

Maybe you could try being creative with the specifics. Any time someone reads about how a model is interested in TF*, like it or not their mind wanders to what they can get for free. You might help them out by saying what kind of TF you're willing to consider. So many people say stuff like "I'm willing to do TF only if it contributes to my portfolio" and to that I say "any work you do will 'contribute' to your portfolio." I uploaded a picture; tada! I added to my portfolio.

You could set yourself apart by saying something like, "I will consider TFP for any shoots that include but are not limited to jumping out of planes (yes, plural), swinging from bungee cords (also plural), and/or other creative ideas that tickle my fancy."

Kind of out there but at least you'd get someone's attention. smile Hope you come back to modeling soon, your portfolio is lovely.

Thanks! Haha I love this I might just copy and paste it borat

"I will consider TFP for any shoots that include but are not limited to jumping out of planes (yes, plural), swinging from bungee cords (also plural), and/or other creative ideas that tickle my fancy."

Apr 25 13 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Cynthia Serrano  wrote:
Thanks! Haha I love this I might just copy and paste it borat

"I will consider TFP for any shoots that include but are not limited to jumping out of planes (yes, plural), swinging from bungee cords (also plural), and/or other creative ideas that tickle my fancy."

Go for it, I hope it works! Haha

Apr 25 13 03:25 pm Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Go for it, I hope it works! Haha

Check it out I added something to it smile

Apr 25 13 05:39 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

You start with this:
"Hello everyone! My name is Danielle and I'm 23 years old. I've never been the type to just ramble on about myself so I'll give it a try. For starters I want to be a model...."

...And by now I've moved on to your portfolio or another profile. You need a good opener. 

Tell me something I can't find anywhere else on your profile. Your second paragraph, the one that starts with, "Yes, my hair is red..." is a great way to begin. Just taking out that first paragraph makes it better already! 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks ill fix it

Apr 25 13 07:13 pm Link

Model

Maria Susanti

Banyuwangi, Jawa Timur, Indonesia

yes pleasee

Apr 25 13 10:14 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I would appreciate your opinion, another model rewrote part of my profile statement in a different discussion several months ago but possibly it could still benefit from change?

Apr 26 13 06:22 am Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

Maria Susanti wrote:
yes pleasee

For yours maybe you could add something more specific about the kinds of concepts you like llamaing for; bridals with bright colors, or editorials on the beach, or something like that.

Apr 27 13 08:05 am Link